PDA

View Full Version : my VLSD question...

drftrzdream
03-16-2004, 05:39 PM
hey guys... well i currently own a 91 240sx (fastback) and ive been thinkin about gettin a VLSD to start off with. and im sure this subject has probably been beatin like crazy...but....ok, first of all, if i bought a used lsd from a 180, what all would i have to get for it to install right into my car? is it all pretty much a direct swap?? is this an easy install so i dont have to waste money on labor?? and does the fact that i have an AT mean that i would have to change anything now..or when i get a auto/manual swap?....ok..well thanks for the help and sorry if this is a continued, beaten dead subject..laterz

citizen
03-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Is the vlsd in a pumpkin and what output shafts does it have, 6 or 5 bolt?

cdlong
03-17-2004, 01:29 AM
yes it has been beaten to death, that's why we have a search function. but to answer your questions, no, you won't have to swap the tranny or anything. both autos and 5 speeds had the same diff so that's nothing to worry about. te only problem you mich run into is the length of the driveshaft, it depends if you have ABS or not.the 180sx diff might have a 4.3 ratio as opposed to the stock 4.08 so your acceleration will be better but top speed will be lower as will gas mileage. and your speedo will be off.

assuming you have reasonable mechanical skills and tools you should be able to do it yourself, especially since there is a write up in the installs section of this site.

drftrzdream
03-17-2004, 08:58 AM
thanks guys...sorry about not searching for this more than i did

cdlong
03-17-2004, 09:38 AM
no problem, i would actually suggest reading as much as you can before posting a lot. there is a lot of stuff on here that you might not think to search for. that way you'll be able to answer your own questions easily and search more effectively.