PDA

View Full Version : S13 180SX, need help choosing good/thrifty front/rear brake upgrade.

Daemos
03-14-2004, 11:09 AM
So I'm new to this forum, I'm planning on getting a 180SX imported from japan early next year, but I need to plan a budget on the things I want to upgrade first. Before anyone asks, it's acctually cheaper for me to import vs buying a used 240SX :)

One of the first things, are the brakes.

I've been looking around for good brake kits, I found a 12.2" 4 piston brake kit for the front for $1400USD and a 11" 2 piston brake kit for 1100 USD for the rear :eek2: wayyyyyyy too expensive for my tastes...but I found 15" rims that will fit over them :) Which would make it perfect for winter. And that STILL doesn't include the price for a new master cylinder.

What I'm looking for is a *good* brake upgrade system for both the front and rear that's under $1000 USD, which will allow me to fit 15/16" rims for winter, that are 4 hub, works with ABS, and with a Z32 Master Cylinder the there will be good pedal ratio, and good pedal feel :)

What are your opinions?

Salty_X
03-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Well, the 180sx has slightly bigger brakes than the 240sx straight out of the factory (slightly bigger single sliding-piston caliper and 22mm thick 11" rotor vs. slightly smaller single sliding-piston caliper and 20mm 9.8" rotor, or 22mm for ABS rotor), but if you want bigger brakes you could use 300zx brakes (4-piston caliper and thicker 26 or 30mm 11" rotor) all the way around. Or if you're worried about clearance issues you could use Q45 brakes (2 sliding-piston caliper and 24mm thick 11" rotor) in the front and 300zx brakes in the rear. You'd have to redrill the rotors to 4-lug for both of those setups, but it's not that big of a deal: you can even buy 300zx rotors pre-drilled to 4-lug through Heavy Throttle. Do a search for more info on either setup. :)

Edit: those specs are just for the front calipers and rotors, you'll find more info on the rears in the search results.

I have 300zx in the front and stock in the rear, eventually I'll be adding the 300zx rears... It's fine just the way it is though.

mbmbmb23
03-14-2004, 04:23 PM
If you do some savvy shopping when you import you can find something with a brake upgrade aleady. There are all kinds of pimped out 180sx's for sale over there, why not import one of those?

-m

Daemos
03-14-2004, 05:10 PM
The majority of the "pimped" out 180SXs in Japan are ex-drift cars. And you know the japanese and drifting, they have high kms and are DRIVEN hard, and cost $$$ because of the modifications, and generally not in the best condition when sold.

JOGA200SX
03-15-2004, 05:11 AM
I´ve seen people use 300zx z32 brakes on s13´s not sure how big of an hassle it is. But when I think about it I think they use only the calipers, but buy new disks. Ahh not sure good luck...

no-face
03-15-2004, 07:35 AM
I´ve seen people use 300zx z32 brakes on s13´s not sure how big of an hassle it is.

Its not as long as you have all the parts like the shims. If you have everything and know how to turn a wrench then you are looking a pretty easy swap(300zx front brakes). Doing the 300zx rear is a little harder but nothing I would say is mind boggling, just a bit more time.

Tubed4evr
03-15-2004, 08:37 AM
One of the first things, are the brakes.

I've been looking around for good brake kits, I found a 12.2" 4 piston brake kit for the front for $1400USD and a 11" 2 piston brake kit for 1100 USD for the rear :eek2: wayyyyyyy too expensive for my tastes...but I found 15" rims that will fit over them :) Which would make it perfect for winter. And that STILL doesn't include the price for a new master cylinder.

What I'm looking for is a *good* brake upgrade system for both the front and rear that's under $1000 USD, which will allow me to fit 15/16" rims for winter, that are 4 hub, works with ABS, and with a Z32 Master Cylinder the there will be good pedal ratio, and good pedal feel :)

I found this a month or 2 ago and liked the prospect of being able to use wilwood calipers.
Fast Brake (http://www.jgycustoms.com/240sx/brakes.htm)
I have delt with Jason of JGY customs . . . he's good people

Ryan

Daemos
03-15-2004, 09:29 AM
I found this a month or 2 ago and liked the prospect of being able to use wilwood calipers.
Fast Brake (http://www.jgycustoms.com/240sx/brakes.htm)
I have delt with Jason of JGY customs . . . he's good people

Ryan
Hmm

does he offer it so I don't need to get it crossdrilled and slotted? Maybe just slotted is fine, but cross drilled rotors in -50C weather = BAD :)