PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET trouble starting, need tips!

jscherf92
10-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Hey guys, I've hit a wall. I'm frustrated, worn out, and completely stumped right now and I know most of us have been here at one point or another, so if anyone can throw me some advice i'd appreciate it.

Ive got my blacktop sr20det in my '90 hatch, completely wired, but its having a lot of trouble getting started again.

Short history, overheated, replaced head gasket, new crank, bearings, rods, piston rings.

The biggest problem is a slow turning starter motor. It is getting 12.4+ volts at the constant and the ignition when the key is turned, and its grounded both through the harness and to the intake manifold. The battery was tested at pep boys measured 483 cca when tested at 600 cca but it was at about 75% charged. So its been on a charger, ive got 2 gauge wire running to the engine bay. Everything I can measure there looks fine, and the starter bench tests fine too.

The only other thing i've done was trying to do a compression test, though with the starter turning so slowly im hesitant to trust the numbers. I got about 80 on 1 and 3, but 2 only got up to 40 and 4 was sitting around 60. Now I know these are all quite low but I dont know how any of the new parts would factor into that.

My next step is probably a leakdown test so I can check valves vs crankcase but I probably wont be able to do that until monday. Can anyone think of anything else to test or try to get this thing starting a little stronger? Its seriously taking almost a second to get a full turn on the flywheel from the starter. Thanks in advance for any input.