PDA

View Full Version : 20mm bolt on spacers vs slip on w/ extended studs

Frank_Jaeger
10-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Flamesuit engaged.

Which is stronger, running a 20mm bolt on spacer, or a 20mm slip on spacer with extended studs?

I'm leaning towards the 20mm slip on w/ 20mm extended studs, simply because it's 20 less points to go wrong.

Ziptietech
10-11-2012, 12:55 AM
I don't know what I'm talking about lol. So there u go

Drifting-pedobear
10-11-2012, 01:02 AM
I read u shouldn't go bigger than 10 mm on extended studs.

And bold on should be good 15mm or higher is safer.

IMHO I would stick with bolt on. I would imagine les flex in the lugs.

Hub+20mm slip on extended lugs+ wheel = flex in bolts.
Because u are creating more weight away from the hubs.
Even with hubcentric slip on 20mm u are going to have flex in the lugs under power.

Now on a bolt on. The gap is smaller between hub and lug, meaning less amount that the lugs can flex at all. And I would imagine it has absolutely no play or movement of the lugs under power.

Imagin getting a 2 foot pipe and u wave it around, it shouldn't flex.
Now get the same pipe and add 10 feet to it then wave it around. It would flex due to the weight and the length.

All in all
I would never go extended lugs above 10mm.
Keep the lug nuts close to the hub.

this guy has no idea what he is talking about.

both are fine, it doesnt matter so long as you tq your lugs.

i run 25 mm slips on extended studs. they use to be bolt ons, but i hammered the studs out. seriously, it doesnt matter.

DennisC
10-11-2012, 01:27 AM
this guy has no idea what he is talking about.

both are fine, it doesnt matter so long as you tq your lugs.

i run 25 mm slips on extended studs. they use to be bolt ons, but i hammered the studs out. seriously, it doesnt matter.

What kind of studs are you running for those 25mm slip ons?

I'm running extended studs and 15mm slip on spacers and its fine as long as you torque down your lug nuts.

fliprayzin240sx
10-11-2012, 06:24 AM
I prefer slip ons. Running 2 10mm stacks on both sides up front right now. My mentality is that, with the bolt ons, thats another set of lugs that I have to worry about. The last time I used bolt on spacers (ichiba), the fucking inside lugs would loosen up every month. I've torqued the fuckers and they would still loosen up. I track the car with these slip ons and they stay on tight with muteki lugs.

mikerbike
10-11-2012, 09:25 AM
What kind of studs are you running for those 25mm slip ons?

I'm running extended studs and 15mm slip on spacers and its fine as long as you torque down your lug nuts.

I use these.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/mikerbike/Other/STUDS.jpg
They're for Camaro, so I have to use 12x1.5 lug nuts. But they have anough thread that I can stack up 25mm worth of spacers.

Frank_Jaeger
10-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks everyone!

My plans so far for the fronts:
Arp extended studs -> drop engineering hub (66.2 bore) ->hubcentric ring -> hubcentric spacer (bore varies)-> hubcentric ring -> super advan v2 (I measured about 71.5mm bore) -> muteki 12x1.5 lugs.

Do I need the muteki SR48s, or the shorter ones? I know they need to be thinner to fit my wheel.

@mikerbike
I forgot what it's called, but did you have problems with the flat unthreaded part of the stud sticking past the hub hole? I was reading and some people had problems with their rotors seating because of the little bit that poked out.

omgRWDgoodness!
10-11-2012, 11:44 AM
lol, spacers. Buy proper offset wheels and you won't have to worry about this nonsense.

Frank_Jaeger
10-11-2012, 12:17 PM
lol, spacers. Buy proper offset wheels and you won't have to worry about this nonsense.
Holy crap. Why didn't I think of this? What an original idea! Thanks man, let me sell my awesome wheels so I can spend another 6 months trying to find some that 1. fit better in the front and 2. Haven't been torn to shit and rattlecanned black for 3. a price I can afford.

My questions about the lugs / studs still stand.

huffandpuff00
10-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Daigo Saito runs 2 x 25mm bolt on spacers in the rear. I was looking at his car at a local shop that was doing a little work to it and the workers and I figured that as long as the spacers are HUBCENTRIC they dont put too much extra stress on the lugs.

but with that said I run arp studs front and back w/ 1/2" spacers. (arp studs are evo/gmc 1.5pitch)

mex lex
10-11-2012, 01:15 PM
I've never used extended studs with slip on spacers but I have used 25mm bolt on spacers. I used H&R and never had an issue. I would stay away from Ichiba, I'm not impressed with the quality, especially since there are way better options. Spend the extra $40 or whatever and go with H&R instead. Or even Project kics or FIC wheels spacers.

Drifting-pedobear
10-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Daigo Saito runs 2 x 25mm bolt on spacers in the rear. I was looking at his car at a local shop that was doing a little work to it and the workers and I figured that as long as the spacers are HUBCENTRIC they dont put too much extra stress on the lugs.

but with that said I run arp studs front and back w/ 1/2" spacers. (arp studs are evo/gmc 1.5pitch)

heliocentric makes no difference.

so long as they fit, then its good.

you guys are way over thinking this, the ONLY way you can fuck this up, is if you forget to tighten your lugs.

no amount of vertical sheering or HP or whatever is going to break your studs, thats ridiculousness.