PDA

View Full Version : Remanufactured HICAS steering racks

Matej
10-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Hello gentlemen,
Has anyone on here purchased a 'new' HICAS steering rack? I have had no luck finding a used one, so I am considering buying a remanufactured unit.
These are the options I know of so far:

Maval, part number 9177M (old number 49200-53F60X)
Cardone, part number 26-1884
CarSteering, part number 80-00646-R

However, I am wary, because I have read of a couple instances where people ordered the Maval unit, only to receive a regular rack.
Has anyone had luck with any of the aforementioned choices?
Cheers.

drift freaq
10-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Sadly near impossible to find. Reason being is there were not enough Hicas models sold compared to stock cars with stock racks. Remanufacturers will invariably sell you a stock rack as a HIcas rack because they don't have any Hicas.

Are there any steering rack rebuilders in Kansas City? That would be your best bet. Just take a Hicas rack that needs a rebuild and have it rebuilt. I did that. The rebuild cost me just over $100. Its worth it in the long run.

Matej
10-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Do they use different part numbers and charge more for the '4-wheel steering' racks just because they assume the regular person will not be able to tell the difference anyway?

Is there a part number on the rack? Unfortunately I do not have one to look at. The part number of an OEM HICAS rack is 49200-53F60, although I am not sure if it is actually stamped anywhere.

There are places that could rebuild a rack here, and at this point I would be willing to settle for one that needs to be rebuilt, but unfortunately I have not been able to find one at all during the past few weeks.

drift freaq
10-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Do they use different part numbers and charge more for the '4-wheel steering' racks just because they assume the regular person will not be able to tell the difference anyway?

Is there a part number on the rack? Unfortunately I do not have one to look at. The part number of an OEM HICAS rack is 49200-53F60, although I am not sure if it is actually stamped anywhere.

There are places that could rebuild a rack here, and at this point I would be willing to settle for one that needs to be rebuilt, but unfortunately I have not been able to find one at all during the past few weeks.

they have a indication in the books for it being 4 wheel steering, but other than that who knows. I used to think that there was a different casting number but I am not so sure these days. All I know for sure is to do the spin test for the different ratio i.e. turns lock to lock.

Used ones pop up from time to time. I have found about 3-4 in the yards. Plus my friends have found more. You just need to look and wait. If you do eventually you will dig one up. I know its not immediate, but what can I say. I sold mine because I realized I was going to change the roll center on my front end anyways. When you do that it actually quickens up the steering ratio anyways even with the stock rack. So I realized I would not need it.

ILoveMyRHS13
10-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Hmm, thanks for the part numbers. I'll see if I can cross anything at work. Hell, I'll even call Cardone and see what they have. I'll keep you updated as to what I find. I'm looking for an extra as well. I have a HICAS daily, but want a HICAS rack for the play car.

tacotacotaco
10-11-2012, 02:24 AM
me and a friend bought reman hicas racks from a steering rack rebuilder. They werent hicas.