PDA

View Full Version : voltage regulator *lost*

kilamax03
10-09-2012, 07:56 PM
so ive searched on here ive seached google and i cant seem to find where in the world this part is. is it inside the alternator or is it seperate.? and if it is seperate where exactly is it at any body got pics?

thanks in advance.

Agamemnon
10-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Voltage regulator is internal to the alternator.

kilamax03
10-09-2012, 09:27 PM
could there be something causing this to continually go bad? i just swaped my alty last week.. and im having the same problem again...

kilamax03
10-15-2012, 09:17 PM
new alternator and im still having the same problem.. not sure if there is something in the electric system causing this.. relay maybe?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRIECIATED !@!!

SuperWOW
10-15-2012, 09:32 PM
With the amount of information given, it makes sense that you still have the same problem.....

I am assuming you are having a charging issue? Have you looked at the 75A fuse for the alternator?

kilamax03
10-22-2012, 06:13 PM
no i havent look at that 75a fuse... im gonna check now.. but i will give more info about my problem...

pretty much i think my alternator drains my battery... i went to autozone and they said its the voltage regulator.. they pulled up the part and it says it can be replaced but dont show how to replace it..

when i start my car it runs fine.. when i turn the light on (HID) they come on then start to flciker and the radio cuts out until i hit the gas pedal then it starts to work fine.. but then when i let off the pedal same thing happens.. then there are time when the car is warmed up and ever thing works as it should...

today when i jumped in the car and tried to start it all i got was a click..tried to more times b4 it started.... i have to test the voltage on the battery to see where its at now..

so to sum it up most times unless im hitting the gas pedal my electronics in the car start to act up and then there are times everything works how it should...

what could this be? any info will help please thanks //...

kilamax03
10-22-2012, 09:37 PM
so i checked my battery and its readin 12.5
when the car is on and running it read 12.6
i do see a lil bit of dirt and corrosion in the two plugs that connect to the battery.. i unpluged them and cleaned them as best i could for now... still same thing is happening...

wangan_cruiser
10-22-2012, 11:18 PM
check the ground and the harness connector to see if its pushed all the way in

fliprayzin240sx
10-23-2012, 09:21 AM
I just worked on an overcharging issue on an alternator. Is the alternator grounded with the small 10mm screw? Check the 2 pin plug into the alternator and see if you're seeing 12v on them when the power is on. The alternator uses that plug as a reference to regulate the voltage it produces out the 12mm stud with the large gauged wire on it.

Drifting-pedobear
10-23-2012, 07:42 PM
12.6 volts = your alternator not charging your battery.

you must have not hooked something up right, something is cut, not grounded, etc.

there is like 3 wires that involve the charging system on your car... you can figure it out...

kilamax03
01-09-2013, 04:46 PM
changed alty now with the new one its oly putting out 30amps..smh... could something be fuking up the alty's of should i just stop buying autozone alty's?

kilamax03
01-09-2013, 04:48 PM
when i put the alty on the car- the newest one i bought the most voltage it would put out was 12.8 and then it would fluctuate a lil lower but not higher... it never hit 13.0 or above at all.. and with the hids on it dropped to like 12.6 or so.

fliprayzin240sx
01-09-2013, 05:13 PM
All the wires are good? You got the 10mm ground in the back, the main power stud is hooked up/not touching the housing and the 2 wire plug to the side is seeing voltage? Lastly, belt tightened up? Checked all your fuse to make sure you dont have anything blown?

Agamemnon
01-09-2013, 07:42 PM
This may sound like a weird question, but does your battery light come on when you turn the key to the "ON" position?

I had an issue in the past where I changed out 3 different alternators that wouldn't charge. It turned out to be an open in the circuit that runs to the battery light in the dash. Once I had that fixed the Alt changed just fine.

kilamax03
01-10-2013, 08:47 PM
All the wires are good? You got the 10mm ground in the back, the main power stud is hooked up/not touching the housing and the 2 wire plug to the side is seeing voltage? Lastly, belt tightened up? Checked all your fuse to make sure you dont have anything blown?

wires all seem to be good i checked and re checked everything when i was done.. ur talking about the small screw on the alty right? if so yeah thats screwed on there... ima check my fuses again..

the wierd thing about it when i took the positive side of the battery iff and voltage tested that i was getting a reading of 13 and higher... but when i but it back on the voltage dropped... and the battery is new..

kilamax03
01-10-2013, 08:49 PM
This may sound like a weird question, but does your battery light come on when you turn the key to the "ON" position?

I had an issue in the past where I changed out 3 different alternators that wouldn't charge. It turned out to be an open in the circuit that runs to the battery light in the dash. Once I had that fixed the Alt changed just fine.

hmm i honestly never looked at that.. ill check that tommorow also... im also gonna go through the radio wiring and see if anyone did anyting crazy when it was put in....

the previous owner said he never had alty troubles and im thinking it has something to do with my hids , not sure if this sounds wierd but it wasnt doing anything crazy till i installed them...

budlite
01-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Check your harmonic balancer. Make sure its good! trust me lol

androcathr
01-10-2013, 11:40 PM
i just swaped my alty last week.. and im having the same problem again.http://www.dvxs.info/a13.jpg

Croustibat
01-11-2013, 02:14 AM
unplug your HIDs and check if you have the correct voltage. if you do, then you know what is wrong ...

Another lead: I had a permanent drain on a previous car, the starter motor was fubared and drained continuously (until it really died).

If you got less than 13.x V (near 14V in fact), it means you have a serious drain somewhere, a wiring problem or a faulty alt. As you have been eating through alts, maybe it is time to check the various mods and wiring. But that is not something we can do over the internet ...

kilamax03
01-16-2013, 12:29 AM
yeah im gonna check the radio and see how thats wired up since i didnt install it... i will unplugg my hids this weekend and see if that could be the problem also... i have a different set comming in different design just in case it is....