PDA

View Full Version : Bond urethane to urethane?

SimpleS14
03-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Alright....so I buy a rear S14 K's bumper knowing that it will be slightly damaged. When the bumper finally arrives...I noticed more damage than I was expecting from the pics I saw. :-/ It appears that some of the mounts are gone on one side. Now...I can still install the bumper without these mounts..since I will be using brackets to back it up. Anyways...my question is..if I were to cut some of the mounts from my USDM and welded them onto the JDM bumper....how can I go about doing that? What chemical solution can I use?

BTW...looking at this bumper...it appears that I will have to use some zipties to keep my tags in place. :p It also seems like that JDM bumper uses less mounts on the bottom....oh wells.

OH yea....one more thing...there is also a chip on the side of the bumper..like a chunk is missing...it there anything I can use to fill it?..or should I leave that to the body shop?

TIA

rrobe99999
03-11-2004, 02:12 PM
BTW...looking at this bumper...it appears that I will have to use some zipties to keep my tags in place. :p It also seems like that JDM bumper uses less mounts on the bottom....oh wells.
TIA

Don't know how to fix the bumper, but I have a suggetsion on your tag. I just put on a JDM M-Sports bumper cover on my '95. About half of the tag area is an open hole. Not sure why, I gues the Silvias have different tags or mounting points. I JB welded some L brackets onto the top of the steel bumper to mount my tag using the top holes. I had the tag already secured to the brackets to make the alignment perfect. Very easy job. No cutting or drilling required. If I had the bumper cover off before I noticed this, It would have been better to screw the brackets onto the bumper instead of using epoxy.

WilloW
03-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Damn, bonding urethane eh? IIRC 3M and Lord Fusor has some strong epoxy (auto panel adhesive) for this type of sittuation. Check this link (http://www.crestnetsales.com/plasticrepair.htm) for some of the options, search google for plastic bonding/welding, and auto panel adhesive. Oh yeah check 3M Duramix stuff, crazy adhesives.

SimpleS14
03-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Yea...I've been searching the net and come across some odd sites. The L bracket idea sounds cool...I'm still a bit lost..but I think I have the jist of it.

AutoDestruct
03-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Love the pic 95KoukiS14. I rock'd a 3rd Gen Q a couple times before when I worked for a auto auction. You should feel it when you come around a corner Power on, Ass out with one of those things, 4 wheel drift, all Rally style. Then sensation of getting something that large like a Lexus LS or a Q sideways on gravel is intoxicating. I would'nt even care about getting caught and fired, I figured how many people are ever going to get to do something like this? Ahh, those were the days. Way off Topic, sorry. :jerkit:

SimpleS14
03-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Love the pic 95KoukiS14. I rock'd a 3rd Gen Q a couple times before when I worked for a auto auction. You should feel it when you come around a corner Power on, Ass out with one of those things, 4 wheel drift, all Rally style. Then sensation of getting something that large like a Lexus LS or a Q sideways on gravel is intoxicating. I would'nt even care about getting caught and fired, I figured how many people are ever going to get to do something like this? Ahh, those were the days. Way off Topic, sorry. :jerkit:

haha yea this Q45 is HAWT...I just had to use it for my sig. But to stay on topic...I went to a body shop and they said they can repair the bumper for me. But its just going to cost more $$$$ and I'm not sure if I'm willing to do that. BTW....THE BUMPER IS FOR SALE...just incase anyone has the time, patience and money to fix it.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=48240 :wiggle: