PDA

View Full Version : LED Brake lights problem Coupe s13

chucky norris
09-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Hey guys.i have a 89 s13 coupe The problem that i am having is with my brake lights. I just recently bought some led bulbs for my brake tails

ok so here is the story at first I had only one led bulb on each side would turn on and and I would flip the switch for my brake lights for night time they would just stay on supper bright mode.
what I did was fix a bad connection on the drivers side and that worked for a while. the left side only worked (both bulbs when brakes were stepped on) but not my right side was completely screwed and nothing worked. turns out only one of my that's was ou
after that my drivers side was still working perfect but the right side only one bulb would work and will not work when I have the light switch turned on but still only one bulb will work on right side when the light switch was on but dim mode it will not work at all. just when stepping on brakes only one bulb would shine.

Left side is ok

I already tried google and other sources but i cant find anything

XsirousX
09-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Sometimes l.e.ds have a diode in them, a diode only let's voltage go one way, simply twist the led around and put it in the socket, it should work, if not then you have a defective item, hope this helps.

007jones007
09-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Led's are diodes. Light Emitting Diode . They are polar, so all led's have to be wired a certain way. I believe it may damage led's if wired wrong, or shorten their life. You can check polarity with an ohm meter. Wire the led according to the way current flows. When the leads of the multimeter are wrong, it will show open lead or infinite resistance.

chucky norris
09-29-2012, 06:23 PM
yeah because only the outer brake lights work on each tail light
and when i turn my lights on those two bulbs just stay on all the time and dont light up more when i step on the brake

silviaks2nr
09-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Put incandescent bulbs back in or do an actual LED retrofit. These things are garbage

theericsmith
09-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Led's are diodes. Light Emitting Diode . They are polar, so all led's have to be wired a certain way. I believe it may damage led's if wired wrong, or shorten their life. You can check polarity with an ohm meter. Wire the led according to the way current flows. When the leads of the multimeter are wrong, it will show open lead or infinite resistance.

Based on his description of what's wrong, i doubt this makes any sense.

Mishkin_707
09-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Check the connectors where the bulbs sit, they may be melted, that's what happened o mine couldn't figure out why until I looks at the connections and they were melted