PDA

View Full Version : Steering column spacer questions

dfs23
09-27-2012, 12:37 PM
So since I had my motor out for various upgrades, I took it upon myself to change out the steering spacer rubber thing that everyone says will improve steering feel. It was kind of stubborn, but it wasn't that big of a deal. BUT! I must have hit something on one of the bolts or something, because one of the bolts has a flat spot on the threads. I know, I can repair it pretty easily, but it is in pretty shaky condition (in my opinion) and the other bolts/nuts are pretty worn. It looks like someone has done this before and rounded some of the corners on the nuts etc.

Where can I find another bolt or preferably replacements for all the bolts/nuts?? Also, does it need to be press fit at the top like the stock ones? What would happen if I used bolts that had a tiny bit of slack at the top? Would that cause issues when quickly rotating the steering wheel under load or create potential sheering risks? I can make any bushings or sleeves or anything like that since I have access to a lathe and other such machines, so if someone knows of a trick that would work for this I would love to hear it. I am going to be drifting this car heavily though so I would rather not screw it up and find out something is wrong while I am heading towards a wall at 60mph. Thanks for the help guys! :bow:

Carbomb
09-27-2012, 01:03 PM
you can run a lathe but can fix a bolt?

thread chaser google it. glws

also I have steering bushings for sale $25 shipped alum
hmu bros

dfs23
09-27-2012, 01:11 PM
lol I know how to fix the threads, that isn't the big deal - just kind of annoying. I know I CAN make it work, but I would rather buy new ones if possible. Mainly due to the rounded corners on the heads of the bolts/nuts. I am also curious to see if anyone has done a set up without the press fit bolts though, and if so, how they did it.