PDA

View Full Version : car pulling to the right, alginment didnt help, ideas?

wild7driftboy
09-24-2012, 01:01 AM
my 240sx is pulling to the right. When i do 40 is light but once i hit 70 the car switches to the right lane in 2 seconds. I took it to an alignment shop and they did an alignment but they told me my rack and pinion was bad (which it was) so i changed it. The car has no power steering. Just wondering if u had any ideas. I have coilovers on the car and the rear arms, rucas everything. Couldn't search a thread to find so i posted this any help would be appreciated i have another appointment this Friday to do an alignment at another shop see if things will change want to see if anyone has any ideas or if im wasting my money

Hashiriya415
09-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Why don't you just ask the shop that did the alignment? Easier to make a thread then to ask them, huh?
I don't know if Joe set one side to have -1 camber and another -3 and said its as close as he can do because he too lazy to do a quality job.
Or maybe you can't adjust your caster and its off and Joe was to lazy to tell you about it.
Maybe Joe was too lazy to inspect your car for bent/damaged/worn parts.
Maybe somebody should check their tire's condition and pressure?...

You pay for something and you feel its not right afterwards, go back and have a friendly talk with the shop.

Hardie
09-24-2012, 01:25 AM
Go back to the shop and say what a shite job they did. if you pay for an alignment they should do that or at least tell you why they fully cant. Good chance something is bend ie tie rod.

Volcom887
09-24-2012, 01:25 AM
check coilover hight make sure they are all = check air pressure check the crown in the road(when u test drive it) (some shops dont do alignments to count for the crown in the road) i know we do when i do alignments at nissan ugh check for frame damage like he said make sure all ur parts are setup even and = before alignment(toe,traction,ect) whatever u have thats fully adjustable check your tires make sure u dont already have camber wear and if u do u have to adjust it to the wear... but thats all going to change after more wear....

theres alot of things that come into factor

i get customers at nissan complaining about the slightest pull on a car (cuz they dont knw how to check their alignment on a road test) so i am used to explaining it lol

jesse_s13
09-24-2012, 01:39 AM
You wanna post up your specs?

ska
09-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I work at an alignment shop

Make sure your caster and camber numbers are even on both sides and tire pressuree

rotation3x
09-24-2012, 07:37 PM
If you "fixed" the rack and pinion you will need to get another alignment since you got the alignment done with the worn out one.

wild7driftboy
09-24-2012, 09:20 PM
I did have another alignment and no difference, I don't know the exact specs but Camber is the same on both sides and tire pressure is all equal, do u think using a racking and pinion and tapped off with to no power steering may be the issue? I'm waiting for a sale coming up to buy all the power steering components

future
09-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Old/bad tires will also cause pulling

Butcher240sx
09-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Why no power steering? Try fixing that and see what happens. If it was removed for more "power" you probably didn't gain much.

wild7driftboy
09-25-2012, 02:06 AM
last owner removed it, im installing it back in, the last owner left alot of head aches for me but i got the car for a good price

EDacIouSX
09-25-2012, 02:57 AM
There are several issues. Ride height (i never thought about this but my driver is 1/8th inch higher than passenger which Could be my issue), suspension geometry is bad (needs alignment), or suspension parts are worn out. When I replaced my lower ball joints, it really helped my alignment a lot. Maybe you need new bushings or ball joints, they could be worn on one side. bushings and joints on the tension rod, Lower control arm, inner and outer tie rods can cause a pull as well as tire wear, caster, toe, camber... etc.

naw_speed
09-25-2012, 05:52 AM
i hate to put my 2¢ in here cause i see some people are trying to help, but... toe does not cause a pull. i would focus more on camber and caster especially on the front when you do the alignment again. but first... i would start wit the cheapest route and check you tires. psi "ie car will pull to the lowest tire", tread depth "ie car will pull to the highest tread", and try rotating your tire to see if the pull changes "ie side to side not front to back". if it does then your could have a radial pull.

i could write a book, but lets see your specs first...

rcdad123
09-25-2012, 06:14 AM
if the tires are all the same diameter, same air pressure, and camber is equal on both sides, it could the caster angle of the front suspension. caster is not adjustable on 240`s unless you have an aftermarket adjustable strut rods. if you do, then you need to give it more caster on the right. it`s usually 3 degrees positive more on the right compared to the left to make up for road crown. before i did the alignment on my s13, i adjusted the strut rods so that it would not pull to one side. after i was satisfied that the car tracks straight, i pulled it up on the alignment rack and proceeded to do an alignment.

wild7driftboy
09-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm pretty sure the bushings on my tein tie rods are bad they're falling apart, can anyone recommend me a website where I can order some tein tie rod ends for a decent price or some new tie rods
I literally poured 3k in this car in 2 months and last night my radiator was overheating so I'm
On a budget now, and for everyone who has helped me on this thread thank you so much all the help is really appreciated

Gold Zenki
09-25-2012, 10:26 AM
if u hold the wheel hard, straight does it pull to the right, or just if u let go of the wheel???

regardless turn left for now :)

wild7driftboy
09-25-2012, 11:02 AM
When I hold it while I drive I feel it wanting to pull but once I let go it beers off bad

heychris
09-25-2012, 10:00 PM
I beer off bad on weekends sometimes :D

Looks like you're on the right track. Dunno where to get good deals, try the vendors section maybe

Good luck,
Ch

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jesse_s13
09-25-2012, 10:39 PM
i hate to put my 2¢ in here cause i see some people are trying to help, but... toe does not cause a pull. i would focus more on camber and caster especially on the front when you do the alignment again. but first... i would start wit the cheapest route and check you tires. psi "ie car will pull to the lowest tire", tread depth "ie car will pull to the highest tread", and try rotating your tire to see if the pull changes "ie side to side not front to back". if it does then your could have a radial pull.

i could write a book, but lets see your specs first...

Enough toe WILL cause pull.
Minor to moderate wont.

wild7driftboy
09-26-2012, 12:47 AM
just ordered new bushings for my tie rods

huffandpuff00
09-26-2012, 01:31 AM
im confused^^ tension bushing? tie rod ends?

Do you have stock tension rods? Im pretty sure its your caster or toe.

best if you post up your align specs, if you call the shop they should have your last alignment on file.

Akop
09-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Is your frame straight...?

nieko
09-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Sounds weird but try swapping out tires. JUST to see if this is the issue.

My alignment was perfect, took it off the rack and started driving to track, and it pulled like a mofo. Threw it back on the rack and everything was still perfect.

Stumbled as hell, I stopped by my house before heading out to track to swap out rear tires so I could drive home on them later and all the pulling completely went away.

Weirdest shit. Something about tires "tracking."

It's gay as fuck.

If you have any other random steelies or something with tires, just throw them on to see if it goes away.

wild7driftboy
09-26-2012, 04:04 AM
Soonest I can post them up Friday, I'm out of town frame is straight, and yea new tie rod ends, I will swap out the wheels to see

wild7driftboy
09-26-2012, 04:05 AM
And I have Kazama tension rods

naw_speed
09-26-2012, 05:19 AM
Enough toe WILL cause pull.
Minor to moderate wont.

sure whatever you say boss..