PDA

View Full Version : tire noise

suhster85
03-08-2004, 04:41 AM
Whenever I turn right(weight of the car transfers to the left side) or I go over a bump, there is a little noise that sounds like something is skimming my left front tire. Can't really describe the noise better than that but it just sounds like something is skimming on the tire. Only when the weight of the car is down i.e. going over a bump or turning(right). Anyone have any idea what this might be? I have a bone stock 95 240sx SE auto.

adey
03-08-2004, 04:57 AM
Have you even looked down there???
You should definitely check it out asap, your fender liner (the floppy plastic piece that stops mud from splashing around) could be loose somewhere, maybe your shock's blown to the point that it will compress allll the way and cause your tire to rub on this...
Otherwise there could be some debris stuck around the wheel/wheel well which may rub against the tire/wheel when it's compressed.

Check the wheel area for scratches where it appears that your tire may be rubbing against the car. It will help to check with the steering wheel fully steered in either direction.

Red
03-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Yes do check... I did not check when mine made noise... I almost got into a huge wreck!! I was doing 65 down the freeway when all the sudden my front left tire STOPPED! spinning almost tossing me into the wall!...

The splash guard got some tred and sucked under my tire... it ripped it off after it wore through...

I pulled over and cut the rest out of both sides...

So thats the last time any weard noise will go un checked!

aznpoopy
03-08-2004, 10:27 AM
sounds to me like your wheel well lining stuff came loose. it happened to my car a while back. basically the wheel well is lined by two sheets of this plastic stuff. there are two sheets of it under there and they are both held in place by a plastic fastener that sits near the middle top of your wheel well. well that fastener came out. somehow the two sheets got misaligned (one is supposed to sit on top of the other) and it was rubbing against the wheel when i drove in reverse. anyway i just put it back the way it was and stapled those sheets together... problem solved.