PDA

View Full Version : Coupe Brake light problems

xHellaFlushS13x
09-17-2012, 10:11 PM
My buddies coupes brake lights, reverse lights and dash lights don't work. The markers, head and turn signals work though. Everytime we hit the brakes it blows the fuse. It is an RB20 swap, not sure if that has anything to do with it. No crimps or funky wiring to the lights but not sure about under the dash. Wires we've been tracing are Red with Yellow stripe and Red with Green stripe. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

graysil80
09-20-2012, 08:45 PM
try to put a biger fuse in it and see what happen if that dose work look a all the wire in the back and front and under the dash to see if u dont have a short in one of them

Mitsubayati
09-20-2012, 10:27 PM
lol ... do not listen to that guy ^^

Putting a bigger fuse will just cause more problems. What was the last thing that you did before the lights started malfunctioning?

Hardie
09-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Good point do not put a bigger fuse in.

Check your voltages/amps coming through to the brake switch behind the pedal, good chance it may have moisture on it or just could be shorting out.

240zach
10-02-2012, 11:37 AM
no i know the exact problem for this it happened in my coupe. if you remove the brake light fuse your dash lights(including your HVAC) won't light up, brake lights won't light up, and your bumper lights won't light up. it means you have an exposed wire grounding out at either your:
1. wiring to bumper lights ( thats where mine was)
2. trunk harness to taillights
or 3. your gauge cluster harness.

check all of those wires and look at them closely. i can almost bet you that the cause is coming from the bumper light wiring being exposed.

s14boy
10-02-2012, 11:58 AM
no i know the exact problem for this it happened in my coupe. if you remove the brake light fuse your dash lights(including your HVAC) won't light up, brake lights won't light up, and your bumper lights won't light up. it means you have an exposed wire grounding out at either your:
1. wiring to bumper lights ( thats where mine was)
2. trunk harness to taillights
or 3. your gauge cluster harness.

check all of those wires and look at them closely. i can almost bet you that the cause is coming from the bumper light wiring being exposed.

ditto! lol check the areas that move too like the trunk harness some times they break and can cause it to short out.