PDA

View Full Version : car almost dies when I turn on the brights

s14unimog
03-07-2004, 04:07 PM
I just posted about the fuel pump and the noise it was making so I deleted that message to focus on the electrical issues like the title says when I turn on my brights my radio and guages turn off and then on again real quick and also my clock resets. Does this meen I have a bad altanator? what is that???? :sadwavey:

FastBack 240
03-07-2004, 04:58 PM
I had the same problem with my 92 KA and all the problem was the the battery terminals and posts needed to be cleand. Just use a wire cleaner and tighten them down. If problem persists call your tech.

s14unimog
03-07-2004, 05:21 PM
so your car did all of that just because of some dirty battery terminals?? well I will do that and see but could it mean a new altanator?

mjjstang
03-07-2004, 05:30 PM
yah he would always stall out and stuff, batteries and terminals are a very touchy item. you wouldnt think it, metal is metal and its a large contact area but thats not true, you need a very nice connection for all things to work right. your local mejer, walmart or whatever you have will carry a terminal cleaning device in the battery section. just pick one of those up and you should be set. I would try this first and if it still doesnt fix it. you may need a new alt which I might have for you. [email protected] is my email, if you want let me know.

FastBack 240
03-07-2004, 05:37 PM
Yea at first I thought it was my alt. also but then I cleaned the terminals and that was that.

s14unimog
03-07-2004, 06:08 PM
alright cool so I will cheak that tomorrow after class. But one more question did yours come on progressively or all at once? Thanks a lot

FastBack 240
03-07-2004, 08:35 PM
At first it started just the lights flickering and then it got so bad power would just cut off all together. When I cleaned it was also hesitant but got dramaticly better. Havnt had a gliche or flicker since.