PDA

View Full Version : Rb20 Transmission Alternatives/Rebuild

dbiz
09-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Although i hope it is a small clutch problem or something, my transmission shit on me the other day. I was wondering if there were any usdm alternatives to an rb20 transmission so that I wouldnt have to source and ship one.

I know the KA is extremely similiar except for the bellhousing. From what ive read (would like confirmation on this as well) is that internally the KA and RB trans are identical. Would this mean i could rebuild the tranny using KA parts?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

R33E8
09-15-2012, 10:44 AM
IIRC you can just buy a KA/SR trans and swap the bellhousing..

badboy6686
09-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Although i hope it is a small clutch problem or something, my transmission shit on me the other day. I was wondering if there were any usdm alternatives to an rb20 transmission so that I wouldnt have to source and ship one.

I know the KA is extremely similiar except for the bellhousing. From what ive read (would like confirmation on this as well) is that internally the KA and RB trans are identical. Would this mean i could rebuild the tranny using KA parts?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Yes they are the same internals, you can get another ka and swap the bellhousing or rebuild using ka parts as you said. Obviously just swapping the bellhousing will be the easiest and cheapest.

dbiz
09-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Yes they are the same internals, you can get another ka and swap the bellhousing or rebuild using ka parts as you said. Obviously just swapping the bellhousing will be the easiest and cheapest.

Sweet. Thankfully it was just a clutch slave but my transmission is still screwed so i will be buying a ka tranny soon and just use my rb bellhousing. Thanks for the help guys!