PDA

View Full Version : smoking after turbo install?

spankmr2s
03-06-2004, 05:09 PM
I installed the ht big28 turbo kit and I got it started but it runs poorly. I adjusted the idle so now it's at about 800 rpm instead of 400rpm. When I took it around the block (driving like a grandma) it felt like it was struggling as well as puffing out black smoke so I'm thinking the timing may be off. Does anyone know an easier way to set the timing on an s13 sr20det than the way suggested by the heavy throttle site (removing the valve cover and such)? Your input is greatly appreciated as I am trying to get my car running well before the end of the weekend because I have to go back to college and work. Thanks

Gladman
03-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Sounds like your losing counted air and running really rich...

check for boost leaks.

spankmr2s
03-08-2004, 09:29 AM
all piping and silicone couplings checked and are solid. How can I time this thing?

HaLo
03-08-2004, 09:34 AM
all piping and silicone couplings checked and are solid. How can I time this thing?

check the intercooler for leaks...

DuffMan
03-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Maybe you damaged or unplugged your MAFS wiring durring the turbo install?

srboost240
03-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Maybe you damaged or unplugged your MAFS wiring durring the turbo install?
I'm the same person as spankmr2s I just didn't have my computer with me and I forgot the password so I made another account. Anyway the mafs is a possibility that's gonna have to wait for another week or so since I'm back at school. I'm thinking that it's not the mafs since it revved up to 3 grand (that's as high as I pushed it) and I thought the mafs has a limp mode that won't let it rev past 2400 if there is a problem.

DuffMan
03-09-2004, 05:55 AM
I thought that too, but my SR revved pretty high without one plugged in. Not really sure how high, since there was no tach hooked up at the time.