PDA

View Full Version : Something went wrong in Cylinder #3

street_sleeper
08-28-2012, 06:13 AM
While I sit here in Kuwait I asked my friends to pull my head on my Redtop due to breaking a rocker arm and missing a shim before I left. The rocker arm is now the least of my worries. As you will see below that something went way wrong in there. I will be home in a few days to check it out but wanted to get the general public opinion.

I am not sure how deep the scaring is but my buddy said it was savable with a.040 bore. This is a fully built motor. Here is the specs

S13 Redtop
Bored .020 over
Eagle Rods
Weisco 9:1
Acl Bearings
Arp head and mains
BC 264's, valves, springs, retainers
Tomei RAS
Bullseye S259 13psi low and 18psi high
Xccessive Intake
ID 1000cc
Mazworx Top mount

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/raylere/image3.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/raylere/image.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/raylere/image2.jpg

Any Ideas?

irax
08-28-2012, 07:01 AM
ring blew out ?

street_sleeper
08-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Not sure at the moment. I will be home in a day or so. When I get home I can pull the motor the rest of the way out and get everything torn down and get stuff inspected. My motor head guys here say the spark plug might have melted. I will know more here in a day or so.

rcdad123
08-28-2012, 10:52 AM
it seems like a ring wash to me due to too much fuel and washing away the oil off of the cylinder walls. why do you have 1000 cc injectors? is it on e85? look at all of the carbon build up, those are signs of a very rich condition. check the tune on the ecu before you start the engine again after the rebuild. also check your ignition system, can also be caused by excessive unburned fuel due to misfire. good luck.

TheWolf
08-29-2012, 05:47 AM
I can not tell if a piece of the piston is missing in the shadow but you've scuffed a piston. That hole will need to be bored and piston replaced. The damage is from metal bits bouncing around in there. Either from intake (metal washers flying into cylinder) or from internal breakage (piston melting)

That cylinder was very very hot.

street_sleeper
08-31-2012, 08:46 PM
I went with 1000cc in hopes of going E85. Right now it's on pump gas Shell 93. I have been running rich and just never had the time to fit into the tuners schedule. Plus I work overseas and am only home from time to time so I may not catch certain things that daily drives catch. I knew I was running a tad bit more than normal but not that bad. I will have the motor out on Sunday and tear it all down. Thanks for the info and I will ask Mazworx what the think. I am sending my block and head to get worked by them.

brndck
08-31-2012, 09:22 PM
that looks like you had a chunk of metal bouncing around in there. did the electrode from your spark plug come loose? also check your throttle body, the screws in the throttle plate likes to come loose and get sucked in.

that cylinder definitely needs to be bored and the piston replaced. if you were already .020 over .040 is about as far as you can bore an sr block before you need to look into sleeves, iirc.

street_sleeper
09-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah I am going with sleeves and then dropping in JE pistons. Not sure on what size piston right now. Probably 87mm so the sleeve will be bored to .040 over. I will take a look at the TB. It deff looks like something got sucked in a bounced around.

street_sleeper
09-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Turns out a spun a main bearing and pieces of it made its way up the cylinder wall and that is what caused the grooves and the dents. Now I am a little concerned about my turbo as that is the only way those bits of metal could have escaped. Pics to come.

TheWolf
09-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Turns out a spun a main bearing and pieces of it made its way up the cylinder wall and that is what caused the grooves and the dents. Now I am a little concerned about my turbo as that is the only way those bits of metal could have escaped. Pics to come.

Bullshit :nono:

Matt191
09-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Brings me back to the days of working on a snowmobile, damn things loose rings all the time. Had a buddy spin a bearing and do the same thing only on a dsm