PDA

View Full Version : SR Bad idle. DD please help

Boltarsenal42
08-27-2012, 01:40 PM
The car is a 1990 s13 with (possibly) a Type X SR. Ok, heres what happened. I drove car to work, ran perfect. Drove car to shop to put on brakes, ran perfect, car gets off lift, idles terrible. It idles fine if the MAF is unplugged, so i thought it was something with the MAF. Bought a MAF, made sure wiring was secure and the same problem. it started fine at first and idled fine, but when i drove around the parking lot, it cut out on my and died. My starter was bad and i replaced it, and theres still nothing, and idles terrible. I need suggestions on how to fix it because this is my daily. ive also checked the IACV, and had no luck. im not sure where to go from here.

AsleepAltima
08-27-2012, 01:48 PM
have you checked the simple things, like making sure the fuel filter is flowing well? getting 12 volts to your fuel pump and relay?

jr_ss
08-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Did you check the MAF you replaced the bad one with? Replacing one bad MAF with another bad one will give you the same symptoms. What's your fuel pressure and timing set at? Check your MAF with an OHM meter? TPS check out ok?

AsleepAltima
08-27-2012, 05:31 PM
all of those wouldnt cause it to just die though. the maf will, but not the settings on the others.

jr_ss
08-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Getting an idea of the status of his motor. Zero fuel pressure will cause his car to just die... Weak fuel pump will cause that.

AsleepAltima
08-27-2012, 07:40 PM
thats why i asked him about the basics. but even a weak pump will allow an idle. hes losing it completely. clogged filters or overloaded relays can commonly do that.

AutechKouki
08-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Bad ecu.
Just spent a day last week diagnosing a similar issue on a buddy's car. Car idled fine with maf unplugged, as soon as plugged in car sputtered and died. Harness had continuity and at the most .02 resistance on my fluke. Maf was a tested working one. Replaced ecu and problem was/is no longer present.
It was weird because there was no reason the ecu should of failed, but it did.

I would find a pinout and check resistance on harness wires first. Check to make sure your ground are good too.

AsleepAltima
08-30-2012, 05:40 PM
i love how people ask a question and then never check back in. why even bother to post?

Boltarsenal42
08-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Internets been down for a few days. I went through all the recommendations, everything was fine. Turns out the blow off valve was stuck open, no idea how, but removed it and put a new one on and the problems fixed, thanks for the help everyone.

AsleepAltima
08-30-2012, 09:18 PM
the blow off valve was causing it to die?

AsleepAltima
08-30-2012, 09:19 PM
well, nevermind on that one. its a huge intake leak. i can see it.

Boltarsenal42
08-31-2012, 04:50 AM
Yeah, I was messin around with it and my han passed over it and I felt the air coming from it. So I just covered it with my hand and the idle went normal, so I just switched it and no problems since then.