PDA

View Full Version : brake proportioning valve input

bejota180sx
08-22-2012, 11:09 AM
ok, to keep it simple, i'm going to install front 350z brembos on my s13. I currently have the 1 1/16 master. My question is, will that master be enough to keep a decent brake bias? I was planning on running rear z32 brake setup but latetly those aren't as easy to find in PR as they used to be.
will running a proportioning valve similar to this:
Chase Bays 2-Way Brake Proportioning Valve - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC (http://www.enjukuracing.com/products/Chase-Bays-2%252dWay-Brake-Proportioning-Valve.html)
help me have fix the bias problem while keeping (upgraded) rear stock brakes till i eventually find a complete rear z32 setup for the rear?

mendozasport
08-22-2012, 12:02 PM
i might be wrong but the BMC has its own bias already so if you take that rear line from the BMC to rear calipers and add a proportioning valve inbetween in wont help but make it worse
i believe the only way that you can get that to work is tee off the front line to the back and cap off the rear port in the BMC
AGAIN I MIGHT BE WRONG
THIS IS SOMETHING I WAS LOOKING TO DO A WHILE BACK AND NEVER ASKED ANY PROFECIONAL HELP

bejota180sx
08-22-2012, 12:10 PM
yeah, i was just reading up on some info i found that i had overlooked and read that it's not advised to use a proportioning valve with the stock one in place. Since we don't have them externally like miatas i guess there's no way of removing them. So i guess i would have to use a aftermarket master to use a proportioning valve, and i guess i would just wait a bit longer till a whole z32 brake setup appears instead.

If anybody has any ideas or more info it would be appretiated...

mendozasport
08-22-2012, 02:05 PM
well
i had found BMC that was 1 3/16 and only had one port
so i was going to tee off that port front to rear and add a valve there
the good thing about that BMC was that the port was to the fender and the resovoir could be mounted away

slider2828
08-22-2012, 02:23 PM
I tried it on my car with stock proportioning valve in a 15/16. At the time I had 300zx fronts and stock rears.....

Basically proportioning valves don't work if you have a stock BMC. So now I just have a proportioning valve for looks... Basically fluid proportions front to rear INSIDE the BMC before it even goes out to an inline proportioning valve. In the end proportioning pressure of the line already portioned as it exits the BMC..... basically reduces front braking power without affecting rear braking power....

Complete fail :( for me, but good learning experience.

Croustibat
08-22-2012, 03:14 PM
yeah, i was just reading up on some info i found that i had overlooked and read that it's not advised to use a proportioning valve with the stock one in place. Since we don't have them externally like miatas i guess there's no way of removing them. So i guess i would have to use a aftermarket master to use a proportioning valve, and i guess i would just wait a bit longer till a whole z32 brake setup appears instead.

If anybody has any ideas or more info it would be appretiated...

Yeah, i got an idea. Stop trying to look cool with big brakes, and get brakes that do the job.

This one for example. 300x32mm floating rotors with forged aluminium caliper. Race proven. Works. Cheap to use. Light. Just ... well, perfect. Will get one as soon as my 330x32 20lbs rotors are worn (i already have these calipers, just not these rotors)

DefSport 12.2" Wilwood Superlite Front Brake Kit GB Part 2!!! - Nissan Road Racing Forums (http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=2789)

The proportionning can be done using different brake pads too. I found that the wilwood polymatrix brake pads work wonders with some blue pads at the rear (i never remember their name, they are not project mu pads, i think they are pagid but unsure. Not EBC crap anyway). It even works too good as you can lock all 4 wheels at 160+ with the 17/16 BMC. No need for monster 330 nor 350mm :D

mendozasport
08-22-2012, 04:24 PM
i believe that its not a case of looking cool (at least no for me)
its more about being able to adjust the settings toward different track/street conditions
different brake pads work for some conditions, but like you said you lock up all four is really not cool in the rain on the streets
a more agresive rear pad will help level out
but if we go through the trouble of fully adjustable suspencion arms why not be able to properly adjust and balance our brake set up wich is as important if not more important
the easy way of course is doing a proven combinacion
everyone has done it and it works
but why not find something else and explore other set ups or combinacions and rule them out as you learn on them
i myself have not continiud
i was able to install LS400 calipers and z32
it works
a little machine work and a mounting bracket and im golden
i spent less than getting full z32 hardware
and one thing we here in the U.S. dont realize selfishly is not everything we have here is readily available in other parts of the world, so these threads can also benifit someone that doesnt have acces to aftermarket brake pads or parts cars to pull stuff off of

bejota180sx
08-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Yeah, i got an idea. Stop trying to look cool with big brakes, and get brakes that do the job.

This one for example. 300x32mm floating rotors with forged aluminium caliper. Race proven. Works. Cheap to use. Light. Just ... well, perfect. Will get one as soon as my 330x32 20lbs rotors are worn (i already have these calipers, just not these rotors)

DefSport 12.2" Wilwood Superlite Front Brake Kit GB Part 2!!! - Nissan Road Racing Forums (http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=2789)

The proportionning can be done using different brake pads too. I found that the wilwood polymatrix brake pads work wonders with some blue pads at the rear (i never remember their name, they are not project mu pads, i think they are pagid but unsure. Not EBC crap anyway). It even works too good as you can lock all 4 wheels at 160+ with the 17/16 BMC. No need for monster 330 nor 350mm :D

to tell you the truth, i didn't get the brembos for cool factor, i could care less if they say nissan, brembo they can say walmart for all i care. I wanted to start building a break setup and found some 350z brembos at a decent price decided to go that route and show a little love for my s13. I buy stuff for myself not to show off...

But i really appreciate that input on the setup you linked, had i found that before i would have searched more on that. And thanks for the info on the pads, i was thinking of going with the brembo calipers with powerslot or rotora rotors + hawk hps pads, i was looking for info/reviews on the ebc rotors but haven't found much. But i'll look into those wilwood and the pads you recommend!

thanks!

I tried it on my car with stock proportioning valve in a 15/16. At the time I had 300zx fronts and stock rears.....

Basically proportioning valves don't work if you have a stock BMC. So now I just have a proportioning valve for looks... Basically fluid proportions front to rear INSIDE the BMC before it even goes out to an inline proportioning valve. In the end proportioning pressure of the line already portioned as it exits the BMC..... basically reduces front braking power without affecting rear braking power....

Complete fail :( for me, but good learning experience.

Thanks for the info, the personal experience really helps to know what i would expect when trying this out. I guess i'll just install the brembo fronts and try how the pedal feel and breaking performance is, if it's not that bad with my master then i'll think about upgrading the rear stock setup until i find a complete z32 setup for the rear and see how that improves it.

i believe that its not a case of looking cool (at least no for me)
its more about being able to adjust the settings toward different track/street conditions
different brake pads work for some conditions, but like you said you lock up all four is really not cool in the rain on the streets
a more agresive rear pad will help level out
but if we go through the trouble of fully adjustable suspencion arms why not be able to properly adjust and balance our brake set up wich is as important if not more important
the easy way of course is doing a proven combinacion
everyone has done it and it works
but why not find something else and explore other set ups or combinacions and rule them out as you learn on them
i myself have not continiud
i was able to install LS400 calipers and z32
it works
a little machine work and a mounting bracket and im golden
i spent less than getting full z32 hardware
and one thing we here in the U.S. dont realize selfishly is not everything we have here is readily available in other parts of the world, so these threads can also benifit someone that doesnt have acces to aftermarket brake pads or parts cars to pull stuff off of

I didn't care for the cool as i stated, and yes you are partly right, besides trying to work with the stock rear for the moment (till i found a complete z32 rear setup) i wanted to try different settings for track and street and see how that worked out. And you are right getting stuff here to PR is always really expensive because of the shipping and some stock upgrades aren't easily found, almost impossible, most of the times.