PDA

View Full Version : Front S13 suspension travel

240 2NR
03-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Well I've been having some issues with my front suspension (partly due to an long overdue alignment). In anycase while I was installing my Tein camber plates this weekend I decided to do a little investigating to see exactly how little travel there is up there. What I found is pretty shocking. It's only about an inch of compression travel with my current Koni/Whiteline setup.

Since pictures speak louder than words, I've included the three that tell the story.

-The first image is the strut with koni insert and upper mount at full extension (8.25")

-The next is the same strut at full compression. The dust boot has an integral bumpstop that has been cut to half it's orginal size for a little extra travel. (3")

-Finally is a shot after a short drive so the suspension is fully settled. As you can see the ride height is very low (despite the average drop) and the available travel is not much. (a shade over 4")

So from it's loaded position there's really only a shade over an inch of available compression travel.

Based on this I may do one of two things. Either save the money and run some coilvers like I should have in the first place. Or after talking with a friend this weekend, I may cut out the bottom of the strut and lower the mounting point of the koni insert by about an inch. I'm not sure if it will add much travel, but is should help to get the stroke closer to the middle of the strut instead of primarily in the lowest 1/4.

DuffMan
03-05-2004, 04:10 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I measured the travel on my HE's and they have about 1 inch of compression in front as well, with about 55mm of total travel. Maybe instead of switching to a coilovers you could try to get ahold of some stiffer spring, as well as lowering the insert. Shouldnt need a massively stiffer spring, but something arround 5kg would be good, since you are already running sway bars.

s0ldats
03-06-2004, 12:19 AM
my ghetto stupid tein s-tech + OEM shocks has the same amount of travel. i can't see the piston unless i reach in with my hand and feel under the bumpstop. it feels like ~1 inch. my rear on the other hand has quite healthy travel.

cdlong
03-06-2004, 01:21 AM
if you lower the bottom spring perch on the shock your travel will go down even more. you need to raise the lower perch or drop the upper perch (i can't picture how the front shock is set up right now so forgive me if that won't work) essentially adding more preload to the front springs. this will probably raise the ride height just so you know. of course this is something you can do easily with coilovers so it may be worth it to bite the bullet and do it right.

Chernobyl
03-06-2004, 01:32 AM
240 2NR is talking about lowering the koni insert in the strut housing rather than raising/lowering the perch itself. It's hard to expain if you don't have the parts infront of you, but it can be done.

We should give it a shot. You have spare strut housings anyway.... I can't think of an easy way to drill those big holes though. We had enough trouble with just the small ones haha.

Only drawback would be you'll have to use a spring compressor to install the springs again.

jmauld
03-06-2004, 05:39 AM
Put a zip tie around your strut piston. Drive around for a bit while being sure not to hit any potholes or large bumps. Come back and see how far down the zip tie has been pushed. If it hasn't been pushed all the way to the bottom, then you don't have anything to worry about. If it is, then you need to change something.

cdlong
03-06-2004, 09:46 AM
240 2NR is talking about lowering the koni insert in the strut housing rather than raising/lowering the perch itself. It's hard to expain if you don't have the parts infront of you, but it can be done.

i'll take your word for it, nevermind what i said.

s0ldats
03-06-2004, 09:59 AM
shorten the strut if you're really scared.

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/Short%20Stroke%20Conversion.htm

DuffMan
03-06-2004, 09:46 PM
shorten the strut if you're really scared.

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/Short%20Stroke%20Conversion.htm

Um, thats a nice write up, but thats a write up for modifying the stock strut for a SHORT STROKE insert. The problem here is that the Koni is not a short stroke insert. Its too long, and much of its total travel is taken up by lowering the car.

I wonder if any of that toyota short-stroke stuff is the same diameter as a nissan strut insert, hmm.

s0ldats
03-07-2004, 01:10 AM
probably not, but it would be the same procedure for our cars. (granted that you could find a short stroke insert) maybe it would be possible to modify the toyota parts to fit.

you'd be better off getting coilovers etc.

Chernobyl
03-08-2004, 06:34 PM
HAAAA i just checked my front suspension and it looks like im practically riding ON the bumpstops, so it looks like I'm gonna try the Koni thing myself once I get my tax return money. Damn RSR race springs are practically only using one coil, the rest are sitting on each other in the laden position.

I'm really starting to dislike Nissan's idea for the S-chassis front suspension!

jmauld
03-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Damn RSR race springs are practically only using one coil, the rest are sitting on each other in the laden position.

That's too bad. These were the primary lowering springs that I was considering... Oh well, at least I know now. Did you cut your bumpstops at all?

s0ldats
03-08-2004, 06:59 PM
are you sure they are the race springs? i'm on wimpy s-tech springs and i still have about 1 inch of travel. the rsr springs have a much higher rate so they shouldn't be sagging like that.

Chernobyl
03-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes I am sure they are the race springs (I swapped them to replace my RSR down springs that I had prior), and no they are not sagging. Take a look at your front springs as they are installed on the car in the fully laden position and you'll see the same thing I saw. They aren't sagging, this is just how it is under compression.

jmauld, don't write the RSR springs off based on this fact. They are great springs and I recommend them to anyone (who doesnt have the need for coilovers). Just get some nice dampers to go with them (I suggest konis).

My bumpstops arent stock, but they are cut, they were just VERY long and I need to cut them down some more. The dust boot these came with is completely compressed in the normal ride height position.

s0ldats
03-08-2004, 09:44 PM
none of my coils are sitting on each other.

edit: you have an s14? i thought they have a much better front geometry that allows for more travel.

jmauld
03-09-2004, 09:40 PM
I already have Koni's installed. I want a spring that's going to keep the factory weight balance, or close to it, not lower the car too much and be strong enough to keep the car off of the bumpstops, with V700's installed.

I have autocrossed the car for a year now with the factory setup and I actually think the factory guys did a good job of balancing the car. Well I do have ST swaybars, but it's still close. I've also had it on track once while my other car was broken.

I'm going to try to lower the koni's in the strut housings, to try to get a little more travel. I don't know why, but I want to stay away from coilovers. Although, it's looking like I'm going to have to go that route to get what I want.