PDA

View Full Version : Im new and need some advice

JDMmike
03-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Hey fellas, as you can see im new to the forum but it seems cool and looks like there is alot of good info. Hopefully within about 2 weeks i will be getting my hands on a 1990 240sx hatch and am looking into the SR swap. What mods would you do first, this is strictly in your own opinions. Just curious to see what people would do first. I would like to upgrade the turbo on it off the bat...any upgrade kits available? thanks guys...later on.

BSeay
03-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Welcome to the boards man, yea i personally am getting an SR this summer when i get some money (college is killing me) and the things i would do off the bat are:

Clutch
Fuel Pump (Denso)
FMIC - You're gonna have the front end in pieces anyways
Downpipe - Because i've heard that lots of the DP that come with the motor are banged up
Head gasket - because the one with the car is wax paper

Thats personally what i would do but ask some of the guys on here, there are plenty on here with the SR swap and they can tell you about there experience.

Halz
03-01-2004, 10:55 AM
First, I would drive the car for several months without doing anything to it.

Then I would post on zilvia asking for subjective opinions of what should be done to it.

JDMmike
03-01-2004, 11:03 AM
This car is going to be strictly a project car, i will be using my sweet as *ell dodge daytona as a everyday driver..*sarcasm*...I know for a fact that i want to upgrade the turbo as my main focus and realize that i need to upgrade everything else so its sound mechanically. I just dont know where to start with this car so all the input is great. BSeay, im looking into the fuel pump now, any other suggestions? Any info on the turbo situation? I am looking to put about 300hp down. Fortunately in the near future i will be getting a mega tax return, till then im getting ideas cause im broke..thanks guys and keep the ideas coming..

iknowyoulike
03-01-2004, 11:03 AM
yeah do what Halz say. Rather thank start modifications on the car. drive it around the way it is first to get a feel for your car. Then you'll get a feel for what you want to do to it first. Personally i would suggest fixing up basic stuff like change all the fluids on the car and change worn out parts. Then go and start adding power mods. But yeah welcome to the board man!

JDMmike
03-01-2004, 11:18 AM
i agree that is a good idea, i was curious to know what other people would do first due to the fact sometimes seeing how other people think in terms of upgrading make more sense at the time and are sometimes better price wise for whatever your current situation may be. The reason im looking to mod is because i finally will have enough cash to do what i want...and i need to have it done by May/June. Im not the most experienced tuner or driver but simply want a car that i can start working on as soon as i get it. Im coming out of a 1992 MR2 and love RWD cars and the 240sx made sense to me. Looks sweet and is of course RWD. Any info regarding turbo upgrade kits? not trying to sound like a broken record but want to research the possibilities. thanks fellas

deviousKA
03-01-2004, 01:14 PM
why put a used turbo engine in when you have that nice ka already under the hood, i wouldnt trade my ka24e 200+ na hp for anything. Well, except for the 2.3l dohc ka that is going in 2 months. Sr is inferior, if you want a good jdm engine, get a ca.

hehe, ill get flamed for this one

Var
03-01-2004, 01:28 PM
why put a used turbo engine in when you have that nice ka already under the hood, i wouldnt trade my ka24e 200+ na hp for anything. Well, except for the 2.3l dohc ka that is going in 2 months. Sr is inferior, if you want a good jdm engine, get a ca.

JDM Mike. see the quote above. This is going to start a retarded argument now(even though i agree with him) about which engine is better bla bla bla. Then ppl will flame and call eachother stupid. than some idiot will come and tell you to get an RB, then someone will tell you not to swap your engine cause you're "Jumpin on the Bandwagon", then someone will tell you to go buy a civic.

Welcome to Zilvia

the head
03-01-2004, 01:36 PM
i bought a car with a blown engine so a motor was required i went SR but the car was not in the best shape being from 89 and having an assload of mile on the chassis plus sitting outside of some guys house for at least a year in mud and shit
so i had to go all out i replaced the busings on the lower controla arms bought new rear con arms as teh ones attached to my extra rear subframe were bant
i replaced all other suspension arms with adjustable arms (battle version for all rear, Project silvia for front T/C) put in a set of Tanabe SS coilovers and suspension techniques sways
the engine has a FMIC and intake currently batteling a bad ECU so i am ordering a standalone this week
those are the current mechaniacal upgrades i recommend getting the car road worthy (ie check busings and tierods ect.) before worrying about swaping out a running motor
Also when doing the SR swap GET AN UPGRADED FUEL PUMP

gsracer
03-01-2004, 02:05 PM
well i got a 96 s14 with s13 SR in it , and the following is what i have, spearco fmic with custom piping made by yours trully, 255 lph pump with nismo reagulator , greddy down pipe and 3 inch apex n1, hks type r blow off valve, and greddy profec b set at 13.5 psi and this sh*t hauls. i aint got no problems with the mustangs old or most other cars for that matter, in fact i lost my first race on saturday to a lexus gs 430 v8 with blitz exhaust and with a 125 shot of nitrous, we went from a roll of 30 mph and he took me by about 1 car and a 1/4, this guy also ran 12.95 at the last track event.

so as far as the mods i suggest for sure are the greddy down pipe , full 3 inch exhasut, definitly the 255 lph pump and when you get that your gonna need some sort of fuel pressure regulator, the nismo one is pretty cheap and bolts right on, and definitly a fmic. with a s14 or s15 t28 you could probably get up around 310 - 320 at the flywheel but then you will probably need at least 550 cc injectors and a z32 maf and the computer to be preporgamed to function with them which opens the door for a even bigger turbo and more power .

Chernobyl
03-01-2004, 06:04 PM
First thing: Good tires (wheels too if you have the $$$)
Second thing: swaybars

then do whatever you want

you can tell I dont like engine swaps from this post

JDMmike
03-01-2004, 06:59 PM
yeah im getting wheels and tires off the bat also, the potential car has only 91,000 miles on it. How much HP does the stock motor in this vehicle have? What is the best engine to build up relatively easily, interms of parts access to reach my 300hp mark? I thought the sr20det was a good swap? I am new to the 240sx scene so maybe alot of what ive heard is just rumor then. Im not going to do an S15 front end swap either...lol...or say im a drifter...lol...I know you guys must see that all to often from newbies on here...oh yeah to Chernobyl, im getting a set of Volk's or a set of Nismo rims if i can find them, just cant decide which at the moment and size...any suggestions..Im not into giant rims and .5" of tire, im not sure about the offsets and all the other possible fitment issues with the 240sx so shed some insight if you can...later

Ghettokracker71
03-01-2004, 07:01 PM
I think the (bone-ass stock) SOHC engine is 140hp ? ....I have the DOHC so I'm not sure

Chernobyl
03-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Heh, with wheels, you're going to get 100000 different opinions. I personally prefer 16's, wide, with low offsets. Others may disagree.

I'm sure you're expecting to hear this too, but spend a day reading these forums and get a feel for what the 240 crowd likes to do. You can learn a lot by just reading old threads on here (or freshalloy).

the head
03-01-2004, 08:09 PM
GSRACER you don't need an AFPR with the fuel pump in all actuality the car can run at it's stock pressure no matter what as long as you upgrade the injectors to compensate for more fuel need as boost levels increase

JDMmike
03-02-2004, 06:09 AM
i was thinking either 16's or 17's by 9 maybe 9.5. I have blister fenders for the rear coming and dont want the wheels sitting in. The fenders are 30mm. What do you think of the GT-C's?

JDMmike
03-02-2004, 08:05 AM
whats the difference between the SR20DET and KA24DE? obviously no turbo but what else? What would be the better swap, im seeing people equally like both motors. Hows the availibity on the KA24DE and price.

Var
03-02-2004, 09:25 AM
sr is al aluminum, ka has cast iron block. KA head flows better. And there's no replacement for displacement...when both engines are built i mean. In stock form, ppl say the sr will handle 450 whp...that's pushing it IMO. I think tha KA will handle 300whp on stock internals if it has low mileage.

gsracer
03-02-2004, 11:04 AM
GSRACER you don't need an AFPR with the fuel pump in all actuality the car can run at it's stock pressure no matter what as long as you upgrade the injectors to compensate for more fuel need as boost levels increase

when you get the walbro 255 hi pressure pump you do. My pressure shot up to almost 60 lbs just with the instalation of the pump, as far as i know the are 2 255 lph pumps the regular one and the hi pressure model which offer a little more flow.