PDA

View Full Version : sohc to doch swap not working ?

edmorl
08-16-2012, 07:43 PM
I picked up a 1989 sohc s13 with a blown sr in it. I then bought a fully running stock automatic 1993 s13 with a dohc.

I pulled the dohc from the parts car, took the automatic stuff off of it, took the sr trans that I got with the '89 and mated it to a KA bellhousing. The wiring harness was taken from the parts car and changed the dash harness to work on a sohc car, also used an SR lower harness on the KA.

Now here's the problem, previous owner of the '89 couldn't get the fuel pump to work so he hardwired it using the guide from Nico. I was able to start the car a few time in the past couple of weeks but now the fuel pump won't start anymore (relay for the fuel pump went bad ???). It ran fine when it ran before.

There's also an electrical problem which I can't seem to figure out, there is no power inside the car (radio won't turn on, windows won't go down, no tach etc..) the only thing that works is the backlight for the clock on the cluster. I double checked the wiring for the dash harness and it's good. Maybe because I used an automatic engine harness ? (there's a clip that's not being used)

cliffs:
- SOHC to DOHC swap
- hardwired fuel pump
-car started a couple of times, now it won't anymore because fuel pump won't prime anymore
-no power at all inside the car

fliprayzin240sx
08-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Did you double check the main fuse under the hood? Sounds like its popped.

P-Funk alot
08-16-2012, 08:22 PM
as far as the cluster goes, do the warning light work but nothing else. no back lights on the cluster or the climate control.

drift213
08-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Fuse on your left foot panel check them

edmorl
08-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Did you double check the main fuse under the hood? Sounds like its popped.

The 75A ? it popped and I replaced it

as far as the cluster goes, do the warning light work but nothing else. no back lights on the cluster or the climate control.

the only light that works is the backlight for the clock on the cluster. no tach, nothing. Lights on the climate control don't work either.

Fuse on your left foot panel check them

All fuses are good

edmorl
08-19-2012, 02:26 PM
bump ? anyone have an idea

I had power inside the cabin when the SR harness was in place..

wangan_cruiser
08-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Check the connection from the fuel pump assembly. Probably got yanked when you where workin on it.

edmorl
08-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Check the connection from the fuel pump assembly. Probably got yanked when you where workin on it.

Nop, it's plugged. Fuel pumped worked with the original SOHC. Previous owner swapped in an sr (electricals in the car worked, windows, lights etc.) but the relay in the engine bay wasn't getting power for the fuel pump, so he hard wired it with the NICO write up. Now with a DOHC KA in it, I have no power in the car and the fuel pump stopped working (blew the aftermarket relay maybe ?)

h2v7
08-22-2012, 11:10 AM
i have heard its a bitch to go from auto sohc to 5spd dohc.

real all the internet swap stuffs maybe somethings overlooked or harness not spliced right .

project-D180
08-22-2012, 11:24 AM
check all of your main fuses n connections to fuse boxes(1left n 1 right by air box.sounds like somethin might of came loose or burnt wires could b an issue if dude didnt wire the fuel pump up right..try getting a ka engine harness n double check your alt wiring for loose wire.your alt fuse shouldnt blow unless of the wires are loose touchin somethin it shouldnt.i had that happened to me n almost started a fire while driving.

edmorl
09-15-2012, 06:24 PM
alright, haven't touched this car until today.

-Rechecked all the fuses and they're all intact (cabin and engine bay)
-Swapped to another ECU
-Replaced the SR lower harness with a sohc KA one

Still the same problems. I'm debating finding another engine harness and trying that out ? I'm confused because it worked in my parts car

edmorl
09-20-2012, 06:42 AM
swapped the engine harness. Still no dice

h2v7
09-20-2012, 08:05 AM
you have a bad ground

or check your starter thing under engine touch a screwdriver across it with key in on position and see if engine turns over.

clutch interlock relay

could be buncha different stuff

godsmack
09-20-2012, 05:43 PM
as far as the dash lights did you check and make sure you don't have the dimmer switch all the way down? don't think this is one of your problems but you never know.