PDA

View Full Version : j30 vlsd with abs into my 90 240 fastback

XXX4life
02-29-2004, 06:30 PM
ok i already searched and i couldn't find an answer to this, will a 95 j30 vlsd with aba sensor work on my 90 240 fastback with no abs? or do i need a non abs vlsd?

NISMO_drift
02-29-2004, 06:37 PM
the lsd part is mechanical and has nothing to do w/ a sensor. As long as leavin the sensor unplugged doesn't cause anyleaks, i'm guess it'll work just fine.
I'm assumin you've researched it and know whether or not the j30 diff will bolt onto the 240?

mbmbmb23
02-29-2004, 09:06 PM
ok i already searched and i couldn't find an answer to this, will a 95 j30 vlsd with aba sensor work on my 90 240 fastback with no abs? or do i need a non abs vlsd?

It will bolt up and it will work. You'll need to swap your S13 open diff cover onto it and you'll need to install the 4 driveshaft to VLSD bolts backwards (bolt head facing the front instead of the rear). You'll also need longer bolts for the diff bushing mounts.....14mm x 1.5 pitch x 80mm long I believe.

-m

XXX4life
02-29-2004, 11:09 PM
It will bolt up and it will work. You'll need to swap your S13 open diff cover onto it and you'll need to install the 4 driveshaft to VLSD bolts backwards (bolt head facing the front instead of the rear). You'll also need longer bolts for the diff bushing mounts.....14mm x 1.5 pitch x 80mm long I believe.

-m
what about the actual diff being longer? does that effect the driveshaft or anything?

jrou111
03-01-2004, 03:44 PM
what about the actual diff being longer? does that effect the driveshaft or anything?

Are you sure you searched? cause I posted on this last week. :nono:

anyways,
I have a 91 and put in a 95 j30 vlsd

1. take out old diff
2. swap covers(make sure to get a new gasket
3. put new diff back in, use the two longer bolts for the front mounts (previously mentioned)
4. bolt up axles, then push driveshaft foreward, it'll go in with effort
5. check and re-check everything

that's it
you'll need 12, 14, and 17 mm wrenches(highly recommend ratcheting) and sockets, and someone to hang around and pull/release the e-brake

I did it by myself in about 2 hrs in the pouring rain, and most of that time was looking for those two longer bolts, and getting out from under the car to pull/release the e-brake.

It's a breezeif you have some mechanical ability,

XXX4life
03-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Are you sure you searched? cause I posted on this last week. :nono:

anyways,
I have a 91 and put in a 95 j30 vlsd

1. take out old diff
2. swap covers(make sure to get a new gasket
3. put new diff back in, use the two longer bolts for the front mounts (previously mentioned)
4. bolt up axles, then push driveshaft foreward, it'll go in with effort
5. check and re-check everything

that's it
you'll need 12, 14, and 17 mm wrenches(highly recommend ratcheting) and sockets, and someone to hang around and pull/release the e-brake

I did it by myself in about 2 hrs in the pouring rain, and most of that time was looking for those two longer bolts, and getting out from under the car to pull/release the e-brake.

It's a breezeif you have some mechanical ability,
but will that hurt anything using the longer driveshaft??

Wei240
03-01-2004, 04:22 PM
to answer your question
some had problems so yes, but others never had problems so no, depends on who you ask, technically it would be better if you got the correct driveshaft (abs) shorter by half inch,
i've had no problems (vlsd with abs sensor and nonabs driveshaft).

XXX4life
03-01-2004, 04:40 PM
what about putting a stock vlsd into my open diff pumpkin? will that work?

jrou111
03-01-2004, 08:03 PM
what about putting a stock vlsd into my open diff pumpkin? will that work?

It's possible, but its a bunch of work to do, because you have to shim/align gears to have them meshed properly.

The driveshaft is ~ .5" longer, there is usually enough play for it to be just fine.

btw, my driveshaft lined up just right, with no pushing or anything.

With a friend it's possible to do the swap in 1-3 hours, where as you're looking at alot longer to swap internals.

Peace,