PDA

View Full Version : Hard to get SR in GEAR

speeddreamz
02-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Its been probably atleast 5000-8000 miles since i changed out my ACT-Street Strip to a Exedy Single Hyper (new pressureplate/clutchdisc/flywheel/throwoutbearing). Its been fine up untill about a month ago. I also changed the slave cylinder too.

One night i was draggin a bit, shut my car off, turned it back on, and it was hard to get it into gear. Almost like i was trying to push the car into 1st gear without using the clutch. After a while it was cool , it was fine, the next morning.

2 nights ago same thing happened, i was dragging, it started to get hard on me, but this time it stayed, the gears are still hard to get into, i usually shift into 2nd before i shift into 1st.

btw i used redline mt-90

NISMO_drift
02-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaging. The pressure plate might be too firm for the stock clutch line to handle. check out http://www.zeroyon.com/pics/installs/clutchlinemod/clutchlinemod.html for the line mod you can do to help.

Also your tranny could be getting fucked up from draggin. The syncro's might not be doing their job w/ all that speed shifting. Trannies are usually pretty strong so I'd look into the clutch first.

speeddreamz
02-29-2004, 11:02 PM
hmmm, intresting. It does however get better the longer I let it sit, but it gets worse when I drive it I think. I left the car for almost a day and its a little bit better, but i feel it going back to the way it was...could it be the fluid inside the clutch cylinder...slave/master?

Soulja
03-01-2004, 01:59 AM
Watch your clutch fluid level. You may have a leak somewhere, letting air in, and fluid out. Chech the Master cylinder, esp. inside the car at the firewall. Check your lines at the slave. Check out the damping box. It sounds like you have air in your system.

dvdevo
03-01-2004, 02:48 AM
tranny fluid too heavy? since its very cold in sf, might have to take awhile to warm up. I had the same problem, then someone told me to not use 90 and use 75-90..and it runs better now.

speeddreamz
03-01-2004, 03:29 AM
no seems as if it actually gets worse more that I drive it or the longer its hot, the colder it is, the easier it is to shift. I will check into the clutch fluid etc... i suspect i might have a bad master cylinder, i.e. cylinder cannot push enough fluid to push the slave into the shifter/forkthingyconnected t the throw out bearing thingy.

autobahNESSA
03-02-2004, 12:50 PM
no seems as if it actually gets worse more that I drive it or the longer its hot, the colder it is, the easier it is to shift. I will check into the clutch fluid etc... i suspect i might have a bad master cylinder, i.e. cylinder cannot push enough fluid to push the slave into the shifter/forkthingyconnected t the throw out bearing thingy.

I've been getting the same problem too steve. it gets stuck in gear, and even though i have the clutch in its still holding, and the car will actually move forward.
maybe my master is bad too.

speeddreamz
03-02-2004, 07:18 PM
damn homey, mine don't move, heh, just can't get it in gear...and hard gettin out of gear... the actual shifting part.

-usmd-180sx
06-29-2004, 10:32 PM

Sorry to bring up an old post but i have the same prolbem!! :rant: .. and how you described it is how my car is acting.. but i did change the MC and slave cylinders. And i did recently change the transmission fluids but i dunno what weight it might be.. The weight of the fluid being too heavy is intresting.. But my car is horrible at going into gear.. and i dunno what to do.. havent checked the fork either.. so input on his problem and my new problem would be helpful :x:

-Jason-

TheSparo
06-29-2004, 11:10 PM
adjust your clutch, i bet you this is your problem, i mean adjust the actual pedal...

sil_8t
06-29-2004, 11:15 PM
i had the same problem but it was my clutch fluid

-usmd-180sx
06-29-2004, 11:42 PM
adjust your clutch, i bet you this is your problem, i mean adjust the actual pedal...

Can u elaborate a little further.. sorry.. u mean the pitchfork on the clutch pedal? or how do u mean adjust the clutch pedal.. cuz i cant see how it would make a difference to why my clutch isnt engaging..

-Jason-

240Stilo
06-30-2004, 05:11 AM
Same thing happened to me after installing a heavy duty pressure plate. I just adjusted the clutch pedal. Take a look at the clutch pedal assembly. You'll see that there is a pushrod attatched to the clutch pedal via some "U" bracket. What I did was undo the lock nut attatched to it and turned the pushrod in order to make it travel a little more into the clutch master cylinder. Tightened locknut, re-bleed the system, and everything worked fine.

TheSparo
06-30-2004, 11:38 AM
yea what he said, its a really uncomfortable position, i had to put my seat back and put y head underneath the dash so i could find the nut, but yea just look at it for a second and try adjusting it 2 or so turns one way, if that doesnt work try turning it back the other way...
im pretty sure you dont need to bleed the sytem again though, good luck
-Jeff

-usmd-180sx
07-02-2004, 01:21 PM
thanks for the replys guys.. u guys are most helpful.. will try the locknut and rotate the it inward... ill let u guys knoe if it works

jason