PDA

View Full Version : another KA24 wont start

Rps13Ed
08-09-2012, 10:31 PM
i have an s14 with a KA24 its my daily always started right up but today leaving work i went to crank it over and it wouldnt so i had to push start it .. drove it home check all the fuses they seemed good.... your can hear the fuel pump priming... you hear the igniton click ... when you turn the key over the lights dim as if it were to crank over but it doesnt.... tried jump starting the battery didnt work... as of now im thinking my starter is either bad or stuck... any suggestions would be helpful.... Thanks in advance.

mxexux
08-09-2012, 10:51 PM
take your battery and your starter to autozone so they can test them.

Rps13Ed
08-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Got out there banged on the old starter and it cranked over ..... So I went out to autozone got a new starter.... Put it on and still won't even turn over all grounds are good .... Anymore ideas? Need some help

godsmack
08-10-2012, 04:33 PM
maybe faulty starter. wouldn't be the first time i saw that happen. is it still doing the same thing with this starter?

Rps13Ed
08-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Yessir!!!!

kennedy8383
08-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Got out there banged on the old starter and it cranked over ..... So I went out to autozone got a new starter.... Put it on and still won't even turn over all grounds are good .... Anymore ideas? Need some help

Sure connections are tight secure.. Have you try pushing the car..

joeboo1
08-11-2012, 12:03 PM
It makes a "click" sound when you turn through key but the motor don't turn over??

Chay G
08-11-2012, 12:43 PM
It makes a "click" sound when you turn through key but the motor don't turn over??

if it does just add a relay

joeboo1
08-11-2012, 02:14 PM
if it does just add a relay
I was asking the guy if that's what he is experiencing with his car.......sorry i didn't write the question wrong

joeboo1
08-12-2012, 04:22 PM
So did you finally get it to start???

lude4life13
08-12-2012, 04:40 PM
The starter is not getting enough power. Same exact thing happened to me. I got a "booster relay" installed and it fixed the problem.

lesley.foo
08-12-2012, 04:54 PM
maybe you need a new tranny

Rps13Ed
08-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Ok here's todays update .... Took the alternator and battery to get tested both passed.... Checked all my wiring to the alt and starter all my grounds are good... Made sure of that.... All my battery grounds are good... Result the car is starting whenever it wants... Such as only turns over after I've tried a couple times sometime it turns on, on the third time sometimes it turns on, on the 20th try... Next step is exchange the starter ... If that doesn't help I'll go through and check my harness see if any cable is chopped or hacked....and also my positive battery terminal.. Thanks

MrSanchez925
08-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Have you checked the starter solenoid?

godsmack
08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
yes make sure that your battery terminals are nice and secure. if you can wiggle them it will do this.

Rps13Ed
08-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Both nice and tight... Maybe ignition switch?

BONIN240SX
08-13-2012, 08:31 PM
When i got my s13 somebody had put new ends on the battery cables. Needles to say they werent crimped securely and i wasnt getting full power unless there were wiggled slightly. i started having a freind turn over my car and i wiggled the ground and power cables, if i pulled on them just right, it would start. i redid the connections and checked the wires to the relays and now have not had a problem since.

Rps13Ed
08-13-2012, 10:23 PM
that maybe my problem! the whole car was re wired and "tucked" my gorund is kinda loose! re-tightened them but dont think its doing the job

Kiro1968
08-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Now that you know the battery and starter are good. Check the battery terminals itself. Is it clean or dirty? If it is dirty then clean it, a dirty terminal can prevent the starter from getting full power to start and the ecu and everything else on the dash. Are the indicator lights seem dim when you turn the key to the "on" position compared to before.
Does the terminal fit tight and snug, a loosely fitting terminal is not good also, and like someone mention above the cable connection to the terminal should be tight also.

BONIN240SX
08-14-2012, 03:33 AM
I truly hope this is your problem, I know how much of a pita it can be. Look everything over closely and with electrical, if you look at it and say "ehh that should be good enough" chances are its not! Good luck

Walperstyle
08-14-2012, 03:56 AM
that maybe my problem! the whole car was re wired and "tucked" my gorund is kinda loose! re-tightened them but dont think its doing the job

LOL. Yeah, when you say the wires are tight, it doesn't mean they are good. You probably have something grounded somewhere.

Just for fun try swapping parts out with another car that works. If you know anyone with the same car as you. Also, the engine, you do have the same engine that came with the car correct?

Rps13Ed
08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
It's a KA not the original KA but it's an S14 KA...

lude4life13
08-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Ok here's todays update .... Took the alternator and battery to get tested both passed.... Checked all my wiring to the alt and starter all my grounds are good... Made sure of that.... All my battery grounds are good... Result the car is starting whenever it wants... Such as only turns over after I've tried a couple times sometime it turns on, on the third time sometimes it turns on, on the 20th try... Next step is exchange the starter ... If that doesn't help I'll go through and check my harness see if any cable is chopped or hacked....and also my positive battery terminal.. Thanks

Like I said in my first post your starter is probably not getting enough power from the old ass wires. Just like you, everything in my car was perfectly fine. Starter/battery/connections, it was all good. Put in a relay to give it more power and I am almost sure it will fix your problem. Oh yeah and the not starting until the 3rd, or 20th time is the same exact thing that would happen to me, until it eventually wouldnt ever start at all.

Rps13Ed
08-15-2012, 03:30 PM
What relay did you put it in dude? Would you mind texting me? 4047047183?

BONIN240SX
08-16-2012, 04:00 AM
I also had a s14 ka swapped in, I'm telling you I'm almost sure it's just old worn out electrical issues! Lol I'd look realy close at your connections at every point.ine looked fine untill I realy tore stuff apart and redid stuff. Corrosion in the right place can pull down your voltage/amperage and if your not getting full power your starter is just going to click. It could even be corrosion on the starter relay itself or your ignition wires. Start at the battery and work your way back triple check everything

idlafie
08-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Doesn't ANYONE ever bother to check the "START" position on their ignition switch??? If the contact inside the switch goes bad, then NO current will run from the battery to the starter...Mechanics 101...see attached link...

http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen/pics/start%20circuit3.jpg

Anyhow, to get an idea as to what to test, (and replace in case it's gone bad), click on the attached link to see what the ignition switch module looks like.

95 1995 Nissan 240SX Ignition Switch - Steering - Beck Arnley, OES Genuine, Standard Motor Products - PartsGeek (http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1995/nissan/240sx/steering/ignition_switch.html)

Hope this helps...

ID