PDA

View Full Version : does anyone here work at nissan?? concerning hlsd

hurleyboi514
02-28-2004, 12:35 PM
does anyone work at nissan?? specifically, the parts department? i need to look up some part #'s... i bought an S15 hlsd without output shafts thinking i could figure out a way to get a USDM shaft to work. i havent had much luck, so id like to dig a little deeper. i have the part #'s for the HLSD output shafts here: Right flange-38220-29U00 Left flange -38220-29U01 would any of you nissan techs be able to look up that # for me and see if it matches anything else? if not, could you get me a price for the parts? the post i got the part #'s from said about $300 for both, just double checking... thanks!
-Ken

hurleyboi514
02-28-2004, 12:50 PM
i just called nissan's parts department, and they couldnt get the part # to bring up anything.... doh... how am i gonna get output shafts!? :(

fliprayzin240sx
02-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Theres a couple of guys who just got done with their helicals in here...look up search and see who posted it up. Then ask them what they did or used for the output shafts.

hurleyboi514
02-28-2004, 02:04 PM
been there, done that... ive talked to many of them personally tryin to get some more info...

THX1138
02-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Ken,

I've heard (don't know for sure) that Courtesy Nissan can get the output shafts. They sell a good bit of other JDM stuff from badges to S15 headlights, so it can't hurt to give them a call.

Fortunately I was able to find one with the shafts. It's apparently somewhere between Tokyo and customs in NYC. Woo-hoo!

hurleyboi514
02-28-2004, 07:42 PM
nice.... :)

ill call courtesy on monday...

Red
02-28-2004, 08:27 PM
I wonder if they can get the whole unit?

But I'm sure it would cost a lot.

Redtop_240
02-28-2004, 09:02 PM
Just an option but we took the guts out of my buddies pumpkin head and replaced them with the S15 HLSD guts......

It was really easy and no need to get output shafts.....

.......Ask me a few more questions nissan techs wouldnt be able to help you with.....I seem to be good with those questions..........

It took about an hour and a half and it works tony the tiger GREAT........

hurleyboi514
02-28-2004, 11:40 PM
what car did you put it in? S14? S13? vlsd? open diff? im very intrested...

Redtop_240
02-29-2004, 12:34 AM
what car did you put it in? S14? S13? vlsd? open diff? im very intrested...

S13 doesnt matter what diff it is but it was an open diff........Guts fit fine......Lube it well........

Cant really give you instructions but its not rocket science..... :p

drift_newbie
02-29-2004, 10:16 AM
S13 doesnt matter what diff it is but it was an open diff........Guts fit fine......Lube it well........

Cant really give you instructions but its not rocket science..... :p

Just to clarify, what output shafts, (the shafts that attach to the diff and then bolt to the axles,) did you use? Are you saying that the all you swapped into your buddies s13 open pumpkin was the hlsd unit itself, and used all the rest of the s13 parts?

Thanks,

-Ben

Redtop_240
02-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Just to clarify, what output shafts, (the shafts that attach to the diff and then bolt to the axles,) did you use? Are you saying that the all you swapped into your buddies s13 open pumpkin was the hlsd unit itself, and used all the rest of the s13 parts?

Thanks,

-Ben

Yes..... :D

drift_newbie
03-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Yes..... :D

Just making sure, because that contradicts what pretty much everyone else has said concerning the output shafts.

So, you used the s13 output shafts that push into the pumpkin itself? You didn't have to use the s15 shafts?

(Sorry to sound so dense or repetative, but like I said above, what you're saying contradicts what everyone else is saying. But, if I can use the s13 shafts or the j30 vlsd shafts that I have, then I'm golden!)

Thanks,

-Ben

sykikchimp
03-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Ken (hurleyboi), Myself, TheLinja have all tried using the S13 Open diff shafts and they do not fit. The # of splines are different.

Either you don't have an HLSD, or you didn't start with an s13 open diff.

Ken, have you tried the S14 VLSD shafts yet?

hurleyboi514
03-01-2004, 01:15 PM
not yet... im trying to just locate a set of S15 diff shafts but im having a hard time doing that as well. im gonna give courtesy a call in a few minutes...

hurleyboi514
03-01-2004, 01:21 PM
damn, courtesy cant get them either.... aarrgggh!!!

drift_newbie
03-01-2004, 02:55 PM
This is what I'm wondering about the most. I currently have a j30 vlsd in my car. Would this be the same unit as the s14 vlsd? If so, when I take it out to get a bearing fixed in it, I"ll check the output shafts. How many splines are we looking for?

-Ben

THX1138
03-01-2004, 03:08 PM
S15 HLSD outputs have 30 splines. I know 'cause I counted 'em when mine arrived today. Also, the output shafts mine came with did not have the stock 3-arm 6-bolt flanges I expected. Instead, they were round flanges with bolt patterns for both 5- and 6-bolt axles. The diff unit itself was packed in an old ATS box, but I didn't see any markings on the shafts.

I'll take another look at them tonight or tomorrow and see if there's anything on them. If they're aftermarket shafts, Ken, you might be in luck. I'll also ask my source and see if he knows anything about them.

Jeff240sx
03-01-2004, 03:37 PM
S15 HLSD outputs have 30 splines. I know 'cause I counted 'em when mine arrived today. Also, the output shafts mine came with did not have the stock 3-arm 6-bolt flanges I expected. Instead, they were round flanges with bolt patterns for both 5- and 6-bolt axles. The diff unit itself was packed in an old ATS box, but I didn't see any markings on the shafts.

I'll take another look at them tonight or tomorrow and see if there's anything on them. If they're aftermarket shafts, Ken, you might be in luck. I'll also ask my source and see if he knows anything about them.

AFAIK, all s15 hlsd output shafts came with 2x3 bolt pattern. You've probably got aftermarket differential.
When I get my differential, I'll ask. On a side note, anyone know how to ship a 40 kilo differential out of Japan? The Post Office doesn't ship anything over 30 kilos.
Finally, I talked to Courtesy Nissan about those shafts a while ago, and they said they could get the part, but didn't know how much they cost, so I would have needed to give them my CC number and they'd order the pieces from Japan, pay for them, and then tell me how much got charged. Pfft.
-Jeff

rancid240
03-01-2004, 03:40 PM
AFAIK, all s15 hlsd output shafts came with 2x3 bolt pattern. You've probably got aftermarket differential.
When I get my differential, I'll ask. On a side note, anyone know how to ship a 40 kilo differential out of Japan? The Post Office doesn't ship anything over 30 kilos.
Finally, I talked to Courtesy Nissan about those shafts a while ago, and they said they could get the part, but didn't know how much they cost, so I would have needed to give them my CC number and they'd order the pieces from Japan, pay for them, and then tell me how much got charged. Pfft.
-Jeff

You would probably have to ship it SEA. Thats what people use for tires etc. Takes like 6-8 weeks.

hurleyboi514
03-01-2004, 04:28 PM
are you sure you get a helical diff? with the sun gears and such stickin out? that'd be cool if we could locate a maker for those other outshafts... thanks for the help guys, we'll get this figured out! :)

THX1138
03-01-2004, 04:33 PM
When I get my differential, I'll ask.
-Jeff

After a quick visual inspection, I have no reason to believe the diff is anything other than an S15 HLSD. As for the shafts, my thinking is that either some company is producing 5/6 bolt outputs to allow the HLSD to be installed in cars with 5-bolt axles, or maybe their own aftermarket diffs are splined like the HLSD and these shafts are made for that. And if it does turn out to be an aftermarket diff (even used), then I still got it for (relatively) cheap.

hurleyboi514
03-01-2004, 07:12 PM
think you can found out who made them???

THX1138
03-01-2004, 08:33 PM
I'll try. I'm at work right now, but I'll give them a close look in the morning. If there are any markings at all I'll try to figure them out, and I'm waiting on an e-mail reply from the guy in Japan I bought it from.

As an alternate strategy, I wonder how much it would cost to have duplicates machined? One of my old professors shares a machine shop with the Industrial Engineering dept, and while he probably wouldn't be able to fabricate them he could likely help get detailed measurements. Cook up a CAD file and give it to a CNC shop, and ta-dah!

Hmm, I think one of the guys in the Clemson Sports Car Club is also in their FSAE crew, he might be able to provide some info...

mbmbmb23
03-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Just find JapAndy on ebay and email him, he has an HLSD for sale on there about every other week.

-m

Jeff240sx
03-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Just find JapAndy on ebay and email him, he has an HLSD for sale on there about every other week.

-m

JapAndy is a fucktard, who never emailed me back when I asked about him actually getting the output shafts with his useless s15 shaft-less hlsd.
-Jeff

THX1138
03-02-2004, 02:44 PM
OK guys, I looked again at the diff and shafts. First off, the diff is DEFINITELY helical. The appearance exactly matches several photos I've seen of the S15 HLSD, so I'm confident that's what it is.

As for the output shafts, there were zero markings on them. Absolutely nothing not produced by machine tools. The shafts were packaged in unmarked corrugated boxes, but in the bottom of one was a sheet from ATS. It was, of course, in Japanese with two line drawings of output shafts. I can't read Kanji, but I did see "6," "LSD," and "R34" in characters I could decipher. The paper has a light coating of gear oil on it, so I'll steal a sheet of acetate from work tonight, wrap it around the page, and scan it. This could be a lead.

Did any of the R34 Skylines use the R200H that S15 Spec-Rs came with?

sykikchimp
03-02-2004, 10:51 PM
THX1138- Can you please measure the diameter of the splines on your output shafts?

I believe specific S14 vlsd shafts may work, but there may be a discrepency in actual diameter.

Jeff240sx
03-03-2004, 12:19 AM
THX1138- Can you please measure the diameter of the splines on your output shafts?

I believe specific S14 vlsd shafts may work, but there may be a discrepency in actual diameter.

You can machine an adapter for the s15 hlsd using any output shafts. It's been done many times. I think machining down the 29mm s14 vlsd 30 spline shafts and inserting an adaptor is the easiest way to go.
-Jeff

hurleyboi514
03-03-2004, 07:47 AM
You can machine an adapter for the s15 hlsd using any output shafts. It's been done many times. I think machining down the 29mm s14 vlsd 30 spline shafts and inserting an adaptor is the easiest way to go.
-Jeff

could any machine shop tackle the job? and how woud i explain that to them?? :) haha...

THX1138
03-03-2004, 02:48 PM

No problem. I needed an excuse to buy a decent caliper anyway. Hope this helps...

sykikchimp
03-03-2004, 04:46 PM
hmm.. I think the s14 shafts may be 30mm where the splines are. so they may be too small..

probably just need someone to measure a s14 vlsd shaft now.

THX1138
03-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Definitely get a late S14 VLSD shaft and check it, and let me try to borrow another caliper to confirm my measurements. The one I've got gives SAE measurements on a dial, with metric indicated by a pointer on a slide. Calculating the metric diameter of the splined area from the SAE reading gives 30.48mm instead of the 30.8mm shown on the slide.

I'll take a look at the caliper when I get off work; there may be a fine calibration for the metric segment that I overlooked in the ten minutes I had between the time I got home with the caliper and the time I had to leave for work. I'll also get in touch with that professor I mentioned a few posts back; he's got measuring tools that are worth more than my diff and precise enough to be used for watchmaking, and he's just inquisitive and tech-geeky enough to lend a hand.

EDIT:

Met up with Dr. Simmons today, yesterday's measurements (30.8mm spline) confirmed.