PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Can't get my key out!...

AadosX
02-26-2004, 11:39 PM
It's very cold outside, and I can tell my car doesn't like it. I'm still working out all my SR swap problems (too many to list...) but I don't think that could have anything to do with it... could it? The car turns off... but the key will only get half way between ACC (where the radio works) and the fully off position. Therefore I can't pull it out...

What can I do!?

Thanks,
John

Salty_X
02-26-2004, 11:41 PM
It's very cold outside, and I can tell my car doesn't like it. I'm still working out all my SR swap problems (too many to list...) but I don't think that could have anything to do with it... could it? The car turns off... but the key will only get half way between ACC (where the radio works) and the fully off position. Therefore I can't pull it out...

What can I do!?

Thanks,
John
Was it an automatic transmission before the swap? There's a switch that keeps you from pulling the key out unless the car is in park (hence why you can't pull it out with a manual), I think it's called the neutral safety switch or something like that. Disconnect that and you're golden. Otherwise I don't know...

Ryan of Velocity
02-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Was it an automatic transmission before the swap? There's a switch that keeps you from pulling the key out unless the car is in park (hence why you can't pull it out with a manual), I think it's called the neutral safety switch or something like that. Disconnect that and you're golden. Otherwise I don't know...

He's on the money.

AadosX
02-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Where is that thing though?

AadosX
02-26-2004, 11:53 PM
I'm assuming that this:

"Electrically, you need to disable the ignition key capture system by removing the steering column lower cover and simply unplugging the module. In the engine bay, one plug from the car main fusebox has two thick wires that have to be connected for the starter to work. It is plugged into a 2-wire harness section that runs down to the auto transmission."

Taken from www.srswap.com is talking about the same thing... can you confirm this? The place that did my swap blows complete ass btw, nothing works. *sigh*

drift into a curb
02-27-2004, 01:01 AM
Is your steering wheel locked? Wiggle it side to side and turn the key to take it out? lol, you never know, it may be the simplest of things.

mrmephistopheles
02-27-2004, 01:15 AM
it's an electrical system on s13s and a cable system on s14s. find the cable & eliminate it. you'll be golden.

Matt_240
02-27-2004, 02:16 AM
yea, there is this metal hoobajabber sticking out by the shifter. if you have the center console on, take it all off. it should be just hanging there by the shifter. you might need to just pull it so you can take your key out. i pulled mine out and ziptied it to some cable running through there. hope thats it.