PDA

View Full Version : problems starting in the morning

qvester
02-26-2004, 06:16 AM
my car seems to need to be turned over alot before it will finally start it only does this in the morning it won't do it the rest of the day when i start it it is just when it has been sittting for a bit i changed the plugs and it still does it do you think it could be plug wires or what i have no clue what is making it do this.

phrozen
02-26-2004, 06:43 AM
starter? did you get a multimeter and check the voltage on the batter? maybe ur timing is off on ur distributor? maybe ur plugs are bad. It can be alot of things, maybe ur ground wire on ur battery is losoe?

qvester
02-26-2004, 09:25 AM
its not like that like being a starter problem it turns over you just have to turn it over for like 20 sec. for it to fire. my plugs are fine changed them not too long ago and it only does the first time you start it each day or if i let it sit for like 6 hours. so i am nto sure why

JagdStealth
02-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Issues with the fuel pump? Fuel filter clogged?

Could have a leaky injector and it loses fuel pressure when sitting over night, takes it a few to build pressure back up. Does it ever smell like gas in the engine bay?

black s13
02-26-2004, 12:01 PM
mine does the exact same thing. i have to floor it and turn it over for like 15 seconds for it to start, and its not happy for the first few minutes, tries to stall. after its warmed up it fine. and on warm days its fine. defenitly temperature related.

qvester
02-26-2004, 08:14 PM
ya it does it bad when it is cold
but sometimes it does it in the summer too thats what i dont' under stand
how could i check a leaky injector

JagdStealth
02-27-2004, 07:25 AM
easy way to check for a leaky injector...

Run the car and then shut it off, wait about 20 minutes and then open the fuel rail. If there is still a lot of pressure and gas comes shooting out, no injectors are leaking. If it just pours out, one of them is leaking.

Maybe something is wrong with a temperatuer sensor or the ECU and it's not starting it's warm up cycle, assuming it has one.

qvester
02-27-2004, 08:49 AM
is there any way to check temp. sensor or the ecu for that i think i have a problem with my thermostat cause my car always run really cold and takes forever to warm up and to get heat so i think my thermo is bad but how iu can check the temp. sensor or ecu for warm up cycle. thanx

JagdStealth
02-27-2004, 09:04 AM
That sounds more like you don't have a thermostat at all. Most thermostats stay closed when they go bad and cause the car to overheat. Some of the nicer ones will stay stuck open, maybe you have one of those...

If you don't have a CE light, I'm not sure if there is any way to check the ECU. I'm still learning the finer points of the SR and Nissans in general. Always been a Mitsu and Toyota man. :)

sleejay
02-27-2004, 10:26 AM
yea the fsm will tell you how to read the ecu on my 89 its a matter of flashing lights and matching the codes to a chart :)

its easy once you manage it

qvester
02-27-2004, 01:25 PM
what do you mean by the fsm and where would the flashing lights be cause if i am right ther isn't a check engine light on the 89 and i do have th stock gauge cluster