PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Diffrences

mtbr64
02-26-2004, 03:45 AM
is there a difference between the clutch in a 89 90 s13 and an 91+.
if so what is the difference is it just the throw out bearing?
also what are the downsides to installing a stage 3 clutch/?

mtbr64
02-26-2004, 12:00 PM
bump please i need to know

mtbr64
02-27-2004, 01:16 AM
common someone has to know about this

adey
02-27-2004, 01:42 AM
As far as I'm led to believe, there are differences other than the t/o bearing, but I don't know what. There may be slight variances of size, but precisely what the differences are, I can not say.

As for downside... in my experience with the SPEC stage III setup, there are almost none. Engagement is surprisingly smooth; clutch pedal feel is still similar to stock, and the only forseeable trouble I would have is going up the steep, 2-lane stop-and-go traffic found at the junction of La Cienega going up to Sunset. :) Not that you'd know what I was talking about.

I don't think you want to buy a clutch for the other engine code just because it's cheaper (or more available) then swap t/o bearings... even though it may appear to fit, there may be issues. Also, I fully recommend a stage 3 clutch SIMILAR TO THE SPEC version, which is 6 puck sprung hub. Other stage IIIs may vary significantly, so make sure you talk to some owners beforehand.

Good luck!

mtbr64
02-27-2004, 02:06 AM
what about the dual centerforce clutch on pdm racing ive heard good things.
but i would also like to hear some other opinions

black s13
02-27-2004, 02:10 AM
i currently have a 1990 clutch, flywheel and transmission on a 1991 motor, and it works fine. Im assunimg this is because i have all sohc stuff, but it defenitly fits on the dohc motor just fine.