PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the pitting/corrosion on a chrome muffler?

gogeeta13
02-25-2004, 07:32 AM
I just got a 5zigen exhaust(used) and was wondering what tips you guys had for cleaning the canister/tip.

I have heard of using toilet bowl cleaner, but I thought that stuff would eat thru metal(whereas in porcelin, it wouldnt harm it)

Any tips?

nrcooled
02-25-2004, 09:51 AM
metal polish and a buffer

I just don't care how my exhaust looks so I rock the pitted and corroded look that you speak of

s14xman
02-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Use MOTHERS MAG wheel polish, you can get it any any auto store, just rub that thing till your towel turns black and then wipe it off and it will be all bLiNG blINg!!!

Ghettokracker71
02-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Use MOTHERS MAG wheel polish, you can get it any any auto store, just rub that thing till your towel turns black and then wipe it off and it will be all bLiNG blINg!!!
If its CHROME then use the proper cleaner/polisher! .....use mothers CHROME polish,do it at least 2 or 3 times over,then use mothers carnuba cleaner wax just one coat....to seal it off,and to help polish it up! I am not a mothers commercial I promise.lol....it works,I also promise that.

EDIT:They both work the same way....get a rag/towel thats clean,and a really soft rag/towel,go over it with the applicator,wait until it hazes,then buff out with the super soft rag/towel. If its really dirty,use a paper towel or 10 to get all the surface dirt/rust and whatever off,so its out of your way.

HiPSI
02-25-2004, 12:21 PM
a can of coke and some tin foil (saw it on mythbusters last night and it did actually do better than the polish they used);)

gogeeta13
02-25-2004, 01:11 PM
a can of coke and some tin foil (saw it on mythbusters last night and it did actually do better than the polish they used);)

mind expanding on that?

skatanic28
02-25-2004, 04:23 PM
mind expanding on that?

pepsi and coke own rust.
i do that to all the hardware on my snowboard every year
you may have a problem dipping your exhaust into a cup though, so get creative
im sure a polish would do just fine too though

HiPSI
02-25-2004, 04:39 PM
mind expanding on that?

use a crumpled piece of tin foil, pour some coke over the area you want to work and scrub back and forth. when you're done wash the sticky crap off and it looks good.