PDA

View Full Version : s14 odd overheating problem

Tiffanythe240
07-26-2012, 08:56 PM
OK, so i have had this happen for a few days in a row now, that Ill be driving normally and I always check my gauges, i notice my temp goes up to almost to the H. i will cut the car off and stop. turn the key to accesory, temp is normal, start the car and it will stay at normal. it will only happen about once a day, both rad hoses are normal temp, and i dont see any leaks. the water pump is relatively new as well. any insight on to what this can be?

Vitzio240sx
07-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Your thermostat might be on its way out.

Tiffanythe240
07-26-2012, 10:08 PM

thats what my first thought is, it may be sticking, but i also want to do coolant temp sensor as well just in case

r32skylinetn
07-26-2012, 10:09 PM
sounds like maybe a air bubble, have you tried bleeding it?

Ninjamasta04
07-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Same thing happen to mine. As Vitzio240sx said, thermostat when worn out they might not even open or worst of all opens slightly and not enough coolant flows through.
Changed mine to a Mishimoto unit that opens at 60 celcius. Its pretty sweet.
I hope you have a water temp gauge. My stock gauge wouldn't even move until its too late, it would stay at the middle, while my Defi gauge kept pinging like crazy, 3 to 5 times. At that time I just bought the car and I thought it might be the water temp gauge was not working properlly. When I heard the gauge going off again, my stock gauge crept up bit by bit.

Tiffanythe240
07-26-2012, 10:18 PM
ill bleed it again see what happens and if not, mishimoto cooling set up is on the way

AZ_BOY
07-27-2012, 01:06 AM
It's the temp sensor going bad. If every think looks fine when your car goes over heated again check on ur over flow tank to see if the antifreeze moving and going crazy there.

Tiffanythe240
07-28-2012, 03:00 AM
It's the temp sensor going bad. If every think looks fine when your car goes over heated again check on ur over flow tank to see if the antifreeze moving and going crazy there.

it happened again like every time i started my car within 5 minutes of driving. car runs fine and the over flow was filling up and i ended up being low on coolant too

AZ_BOY
07-28-2012, 12:47 PM
it happened again like every time i started my car within 5 minutes of driving. car runs fine and the over flow was filling up and i ended up being low on coolant too

Let's do this take out your thermostat. And drive with out it let see if is gonna heat up agien

cotbu
07-28-2012, 01:06 PM

Same thing happen to mine. As Vitzio240sx said, thermostat when worn out they might not even open or worst of all opens slightly and not enough coolant flows through.
Changed mine to a Mishimoto unit that opens at 60 celcius. Its pretty sweet.
I hope you have a water temp gauge. My stock gauge wouldn't even move until its too late, it would stay at the middle, while my Defi gauge kept pinging like crazy, 3 to 5 times. At that time I just bought the car and I thought it might be the water temp gauge was not working properlly. When I heard the gauge going off again, my stock gauge crept up bit by bit.

The thermostat when worn out, tends to open earlier, sooner... it's designed too, it mainly consists of wax and a spring! My old school understanding!

xVPtIi6sVYg

Usually in an s14 to s13 engine swap, the cluster temp sensor is neglected and that causes the gauge to read wrong. It could also be a worn out thermistor (the single wire temp sensor for the cluster's temp gauge)
You could verify the temp with consult or an after market gauge.

None of that really matters if you still have air in the coolant system
Which doesn't sound like the problem either because it'll take longer than 5min for the engine at idle to reach operating temp. So I think you're not overheating just a faulty temp sensor.

Sorry for all that just had to address some bullshit in the mix first!