PDA

View Full Version : Just installed j30 vlsd

jrou111
02-24-2004, 12:55 PM
I just swapped out my one wheel peeler open diff for a vlsd from a j30...

All I can say is HUGE improvement, the back kicks out immediately, and i can drive foreward facing sideways for a lot longer time.

I think it's a better improvement (for drifting) than the Tein HE's I put on last week!

And I highly reccomend it for anyone who cant afford a real lsd (like me)

Peace,

zombieman
02-24-2004, 08:12 PM
dude, why would you get $1200 suspension first before getting a lsd for $300..and say that you cant afford a better lsd???

Hawd
02-24-2004, 09:24 PM
dude, why would you get $1200 suspension first before getting a lsd for $300..and say that you cant afford a better lsd???

I did the same shit unfortuantely, haha. I've been too lazy to research different lsd's. When I get time i'll also have the time to do the install. Fucking school :\

240Degrees
02-24-2004, 11:33 PM
what's so wrong with a vlsd? there's no shame in having stock lsd with coilovers. it's hard to come up with $600 extra for a 2 way

jrou111
02-25-2004, 12:01 AM

Just to make know-it-alls like you complain. :rolleyes:

And I'm not a 16 year old noob, I'd much rather have a stiffer suspension before an lsd (I'm willing to bet I'm not the first one who's done it)

Anyways, does anyone have any constructive criticism?

Peace,

MorganS13
02-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Just to make know-it-alls like you complain. :rolleyes:

And I'm not a 16 year old noob, I'd much rather have a stiffer suspension before an lsd (I'm willing to bet I'm not the first one who's done it)

Anyways, does anyone have any constructive criticism?

Peace,
Hell I'd rather have the suspension first as well.. In fact I've had a VLSD sitting in my shed for about year that I'm too lazy to put on :D

jrou111
02-25-2004, 03:03 PM
:werd:

man, your car looks just like my car, except I have a ton more scratches and dings!

peace,

mellojoe
02-25-2004, 04:48 PM
See, I'm opposite, I guess. I'd rather have a nice LSD before I start on the suspension. I don't think I'd spring for a full set of coil-overs before I had an LSD.

Sure, maybe I'd go with a set of stiffer springs and some upgraded shocks/struts. But if I were serious enough about my cornering performance to warrant coilovers, then an LSD is a MUST.

I think that a car with an LSD would still outperform a car without even if the second car had upgraded suspension.

But, then again, I'm not a "drifter"...

jrou111
02-25-2004, 07:27 PM
So you're saying that a car with stock suspension and a nice lsd(kaaz, nismo, etc) would outcorner a car with open diff and a racing (kinda) suspension?

I dunno, I'd have to see that.

I beg to differ :coolugh:

peace,

MorganS13
02-25-2004, 07:33 PM
I'd venture to say..
coilolvers+VLSD > stock suspension+mechanical LSD

besides, VLSD's hold their value pretty well, I doubt he'd lose much money selling it within a year and upgrading..

jrou111
02-25-2004, 08:32 PM
I'd venture to say..
coilolvers+VLSD > stock suspension+mechanical LSD

"I concur, do you concur?"

And I already have the locals around here willing to buy mine for more than I paid :Ownedd:

Peace,

Zing
02-27-2004, 09:33 AM
congratulation dude,

i am planning to put my j30 vlas on to my 91 s13 as well
so may i ask u couple question ?
1) did u buy two longer bolts coz of the bushing from the j30 lsd ? where did u get them from ?
2) did u use your original cover gasket ? where did u get them from ?
3) what gear oil u use ?

any else trouble did u figure and how long u spend on it ?

i just want to make sure i got everythings line up so that i dun have to do it smoothly

irax
02-27-2004, 10:51 AM
nice LSD + stock suspension = too much squat(or incorrect squat) not good in any motor sport
stock lsd + upgreaded suspension = firmly planted foot work
nice lsd + upgreaded suspension = kick ass ride!

GJ Jrou good find on the j30 diff

people allways argue what to upgreade first.. some say suspension, some say motor, some say drive train, a few say brakes... it all just depends on what you wanna focus on first and what will be easier for you... personaly id upgraed brakes and suspension.. but thats just me..

jrou111
02-27-2004, 02:11 PM
congratulation dude,

i am planning to put my j30 vlas on to my 91 s13 as well
so may i ask u couple question ?
1) did u buy two longer bolts coz of the bushing from the j30 lsd ? where did u get them from ?
2) did u use your original cover gasket ? where did u get them from ?
3) what gear oil u use ?

any else trouble did u figure and how long u spend on it ?

i just want to make sure i got everythings line up so that i dun have to do it smoothly

1. I had some extra chassis bolts from my 95 Talon that I used, and they worked PERFECT, they have a big washer on them and fit the bushing nicely.

2. The back cover of the j30 diff had two large bolts in it, and no fins, so i just used my original cover w/ the 4 smaller bolts.

3. I used O'reilys 80w90 gear oil, and 4 oz of lsd additive, I think the additive might be unnecessisary because it feels like it might be locked up more often than not(might just be me). I used a pump to pump it in there after I put it in to save weight lifting by myself.

Btw, I did this in the pouring rain and it took me all of about 2 hours by myself. I'd really recommend a friend to help, at least getting it in and out, because it's pretty heavy, and difficult to manuver ( even on the tranny jack I used)

Also, make sure to use a new gasket and seal it well, because the one i put on is leaking now :(

Good luck,

crioten
02-27-2004, 02:28 PM
Hell I'd rather have the suspension first as well.. In fact I've had a VLSD sitting in my shed for about year that I'm too lazy to put on :D

sell it to me !!!!!!!! now that you have your awd a4, you dont need that diff....:)

thx247
02-27-2004, 05:38 PM
selling my 95 J30 VLSD....selling the whole car in fact. Someone come buy it from me. Bolts right into S13's

Var
02-27-2004, 05:45 PM
selling my 95 J30 VLSD....selling the whole car in fact. Someone come buy it from me. Bolts right into S13's

you got the shafts too? how much you want. hook a brotha up.