PDA

View Full Version : Apexi N1 decibal limit

Sil-Abc
02-23-2004, 01:45 PM
over the weekend i got a fix-it ticket for my exhaust and i was looking on the apexi site and it says that everything should be fine but i need to kno how many decibals would a n1 single on a 89 would be? is it under 95 decibels? anyone have this same problem and have documentation that i could use to show to the cops? thanks

Ghettokracker71
02-23-2004, 02:39 PM
damn that sucks....whats the law? Over a certain amount of decibels>95 I assume? How the f*ck would a cop know if you are over it....did he pull out some kind of meter? If he didn't,then he has NO prove what so ever you are over the legal limit. Go have a resonator put in....and when you goto court,put a silencer in before you leave and just take it out when you get home! :)

LigouriRd
02-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Apexi provides documentation with the muffler that states that the muffler puts out no more than 95dB between 3000 and 5000 rpm. http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocumentation/CHP_Bulletin.pdf
Buuuuut that only means sumthing in Cali where there 95dB is the law. I have no idea what state "Foster City" is in, but most states, including mine, have no law that specifiies how loud exhaust can be. It is purely up to the cop's and the judges discretion. Here in illinois it is technically illegal to modify an exhaust to make it louder. Of course if the exhaust had a hole in it and was puttin out say 100dB then the Apexi N1 would make it quieter and would thereby be legal. It's still kinda sketchy. I did find a statute that specified a 95dB limit for water vehicles. A friend of printed this substituting Motor vehicle, and used that to get out of his ticket, course the cop didn't show up either. Good luck.

stillmatic
02-23-2004, 03:39 PM
When cops pull you over they usually look for a "possible cause" or PC as they say in cop lingo. In most cases they usually search your car for drugs and any sort of weapon first. Then they'll ask for your license and registration, run your plates and so on.. If everything comes out clean and they have no reason to pull you over, then they'll start looking at your exhaust, tinted windows, make shit up about a rolling stop, or ask you to pop your hood. Basically they'll look for anything they can use as a legitimate excuse. If you ever wonder why cops sometimes ask if you knew why they pulled you over, it's mainly because they're just doing a routine check up and they want you to panic and start spitting things they didn't ask you about.

As for your exhaust, California doesn't recognize cat-back systems as emissions control devices and therefore doesn't require a CARB number. The only limitation is the noise factor which is 95dB so it should be an easy fix. You just have to borrow someone else's (David's) stock exhaust and take your car to a smog testing station. I'm glad they didn't get you for underage DUI or else it would've been real ugly that night.

Bolo
02-23-2004, 03:48 PM
I had to go to the ref last week to have my N1 tested. Even with a silencer installed it measured 98db. Save yourself a trip and throw a stock exhaust back on.

Burmonster
02-23-2004, 04:49 PM
When cops pull you over they usually look for a "possible cause" or PC as they say in cop lingo.

Um, dont you mean Probable Cause? And having probably probable cause doesnt mean they can just search your car randomly. If you are a know fellow and arent allowed to own a fire arm but there is a box of bullets or gun rack in your car gives them probable cause to search your car for an illegal fire arm, just like if they smell pot in your car that gives them probable cause to search your car for pot. If a cops pulls you over, he must ask you if he can search your car before he searches it. You have the right to ask what he is searching for (unless you are already under arrest and have the "right to remain silent) and they have to tell you what they are going to be looking for. The thing is, if you have nothing in your car, there is no point in even making the cops job anymore difficult.

Also, a cop cannot just make up an excuse to give you a ticket such as "Since you have an exhaust/wheels/body kit etc., and we have problems with street racing in this area, you are obviously part of the problem so I am going to be giving you a ticket." Thats called profiling, and while you might get the ticket, it will get thrown out of court as long as you have not violated a law.

But, back on topic, you should just be able to show proof that your exhaust is rated for <95dB. The judge should except this, but if not, ask the cop for proof of the broken limit. My guess is he will not have it. Personally I would go ahead and buy myself a silencer and avoid all the problems.

Ghettokracker71
02-23-2004, 05:02 PM
why did he pull you? They have to give reason why,he can't just pull you b/c your a kid in a sports car with exhaust.(and whatever else you have)

FRpilot
02-23-2004, 06:06 PM
why did he pull you? They have to give reason why,he can't just pull you b/c your a kid in a sports car with exhaust.(and whatever else you have)

i dunno. his car is pretty ricey to me. ;)

Ghettokracker71
02-23-2004, 06:26 PM
i dunno. his car is pretty ricey to me. ;)
Who pulled him? Ricecop? no....

Var
02-23-2004, 06:31 PM
over the weekend i got a fix-it ticket for my exhaust and i was looking on the apexi site and it says that everything should be fine but i need to kno how many decibals would a n1 single on a 89 would be? is it under 95 decibels? anyone have this same problem and have documentation that i could use to show to the cops? thanks

hey dude. this is why you got a ticket.

"Modified Exhaust"

Doesnt matter what you did to it or how loud it is. Modified exhuast is illegal in CA. I got pulled over in Foster City with no cat and the officer was nice enough to let me go even after he saw my roll cage a racing harness. My driving record was clean. I got a modified exhaust ticket on my motorcycle once and i told the cop that the manufacturer said it was 50 state legal.
He said "That's a civil matter you'll have to take up with the company. Here's your ticket."

dvdevo
02-23-2004, 07:13 PM
hahah fools man.. narc that doesnt sound like you typed that stuff up. And jon's car isnt really ricey..the cop probably liked it. Just find a stock exhuast..call up solo he said he had one like 3 months ago, dont know does he still have it. Hahah while you're picking it up, maybeu can give it to me after becasue mine sucks.

Sil-Abc
02-23-2004, 08:58 PM
haha hella posts already....well here is the situation.
first:im not goin to court. i just need to have a por...cop to sign it off and mail it in.

second:my car isnt ricey kenny! I HAVE EXPERIENCE THAT GOES ALONG WIT THAT! AT LEAST I CAN DRIFF HAHAHA j/p (but u kno i can)

third:exhausts are LEGAL. Anything after the cat and under 95 dB without any problems such as leaks or cracks are legal. Got papers for it too which were on the Apexi site written from the CHP.

fourth:imma try again 2m to see if i can get the CHP to sign it off cuz i dont believe that a N1 can be 98+ decibels. Ill just flash him the papers and show it to him and say this and that.

fifth: worse comes to worse i just go to my garage slap my original exhaust on and take it to the muffler shop and have them sign it off OR have my friend sign it off or somethin and just get the cop to sign it.

sixth: WHOOO!!!! GOT PULLED OVER FOR THE SAME THING TWICE!!!! GO DRIFFING!!!!

dvdevo
02-23-2004, 09:51 PM
more like..go drifting stupidly!! including myself.

Sil-Abc
02-23-2004, 11:14 PM
hahaha stooopid....
hey hey hey fuck you hahahahahahahahhaa :fawkd:

dvdevo
02-24-2004, 01:29 AM
hahaha stooopid....
hey hey hey fuck you hahahahahahahahhaa :fawkd:

haha quit actin like art. :squintd: :squintd: :squintd: :squintd:

Jeff240sx
02-24-2004, 01:52 AM
haha quit actin like art. :squintd: :squintd: :squintd: :squintd:

STFU! Take it to pm's or aim or something :rl:
-Jeff

oojpeeoo
02-24-2004, 02:56 AM
the apexi n1 not even that loud... on my car is decently iight.. but no cops pulld me over yet..thnk god ^^

Captain_Impossible
02-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Um, dont you mean Probable Cause? And having probably probable cause doesnt mean they can just search your car randomly. If you are a know fellow and arent allowed to own a fire arm but there is a box of bullets or gun rack in your car gives them probable cause to search your car for an illegal fire arm, just like if they smell pot in your car that gives them probable cause to search your car for pot. If a cops pulls you over, he must ask you if he can search your car before he searches it. You have the right to ask what he is searching for (unless you are already under arrest and have the "right to remain silent) and they have to tell you what they are going to be looking for. The thing is, if you have nothing in your car, there is no point in even making the cops job anymore difficult.

Also, a cop cannot just make up an excuse to give you a ticket such as "Since you have an exhaust/wheels/body kit etc., and we have problems with street racing in this area, you are obviously part of the problem so I am going to be giving you a ticket." Thats called profiling, and while you might get the ticket, it will get thrown out of court as long as you have not violated a law.

But, back on topic, you should just be able to show proof that your exhaust is rated for <95dB. The judge should except this, but if not, ask the cop for proof of the broken limit. My guess is he will not have it. Personally I would go ahead and buy myself a silencer and avoid all the problems.

They dont have to tell you why they are searching your car, they dont have to tell you what there "reasonable suspicion" was for pulling you over either. The judge is very unlikely to dismiss your ticket because of "profiling" (no one wants to be a friend to the street racer). Also, the judge not beeing able to produce physical evidence that your exhaust is too loud because a ticket is not dealt with in criminal court, its a civil matter (different rules apply) so all the state or city needs to make you pay the ticket is more evidence that your exhaust is too loud than you have that it isnt (51% rule). So they are using the cops word as evidence and assuming hes properly trained to detect what is 'too loud'. If you come in with papers from the factory saying otherwise that should be enough to have more than 50% of the case leaning your way.

Sil-Abc
02-24-2004, 04:55 PM
again i am NOT going to court

Burmonster
02-25-2004, 12:20 AM
They dont have to tell you why they are searching your car, they dont have to tell you what there "reasonable suspicion" was for pulling you over either. The judge is very unlikely to dismiss your ticket because of "profiling" (no one wants to be a friend to the street racer). Also, the judge not beeing able to produce physical evidence that your exhaust is too loud because a ticket is not dealt with in criminal court, its a civil matter (different rules apply) so all the state or city needs to make you pay the ticket is more evidence that your exhaust is too loud than you have that it isnt (51% rule). So they are using the cops word as evidence and assuming hes properly trained to detect what is 'too loud'. If you come in with papers from the factory saying otherwise that should be enough to have more than 50% of the case leaning your way.

car=private property
no permission to search private propert (verbal or warrant)=illegal search and seizer
moral of the story, need probably cause to search car

Var
02-25-2004, 09:55 AM
car=private property
no permission to search private propert (verbal or warrant)=illegal search and seizer
moral of the story, need probably cause to search car

if your engine/exhaust is too loud that's probable cause. trust me on this guys, i sat down and talked to a cop about different traffic laws concerning modified cars for about 2 hours one night.(our band's bassist's girlfriend's mom)

here's an interesting point she made. A stock corvette has no front license plate and no mounting holes for it either. CA state law says you have to have plates both on front and rear bumpers. Just goes to show how shitty the legal system is reguarding cars.

Sil-Abc
02-25-2004, 06:19 PM
whhooooo i got my ticket signed off....chp r cooler than i thought. this cop was talkin smack about the cops in sf hahaha

Ghettokracker71
02-25-2004, 07:53 PM
whhooooo i got my ticket signed off....chp r cooler than i thought. this cop was talkin smack about the cops in sf hahaha
How so? What'd ya change on it...

Sil-Abc
02-25-2004, 08:26 PM
nothing just went to the CHP said this and that and he was cool about it and listened to it for a sec and signed it.

kazuo
02-26-2004, 02:40 PM
I had to go to the ref last week to have my N1 tested. Even with a silencer installed it measured 98db. Save yourself a trip and throw a stock exhaust back on.

Bolo = Rudy right?

If so did the ref look under your hood? I assume not, cus that would be bad... :)