PDA

View Full Version : sr20 Trans won't line up.

donjoel
07-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Just installed the sr20 the other day on my 89 240 hatch,
and to my surprise the transmission didnt line up straight.
It was a real pain trying to get the passenger side mount
to go in the hole, and after it did right away i could tell the
engine was crooked. after so many tries of kicking the trans
towards the passenger side, it just kept bouncing back to
the drivers side. so i decided to try and and just put the
crossmember on there like that to hold it straight, but all
of the bolts would not want to go in.

my motor mounts i got are for the ka24e from o'reillys
and the trans mount i got from my old engine.

So any suggestions on how to make motor and trans straight? It sits like 1 inch towards the driver side.

teh smithers
07-17-2012, 08:02 PM
my motor mounts i got are for the ka24e from o'reillys

My god, Holmes, I think we've found it. Get mounts that were designed for the SR!

donjoel
07-17-2012, 09:32 PM
theres a sr20 swap guide on here and they state that motor mounts are the same for
ka24e de and sr, and ive read it it other places too, plus i compared them to the messed up ones that were on my sr and they were identical.

roboticnissan
07-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Yeah they are the same. But check out your motor and see how its crooked. My bet something is messed with over.there. and you're looking at the tranny

Slammed Assassin
07-17-2012, 10:07 PM
My god, Holmes, I think we've found it. Get mounts that were designed for the SR!

ka and sr use the same mounts bruhh!!

teh smithers
07-17-2012, 10:35 PM
ka and sr use the same mounts bruhh!!

I'm aware of that, but I wouldn't trust KA mounts from O'Reilly to work on an SR, even if they are "identical" as the OP stated. I'm probably wrong though, and the issue is somewhere else. :doh:

If you can, pull the motor/transmission back out and reinstall it. Pain in the ass, but you'll have a great view of whatever's wrong.

memphis180sx
07-17-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm aware of that, but I wouldn't trust KA mounts from O'Reilly to work on an SR, even if they are "identical" as the OP stated. I'm probably wrong though, and the issue is somewhere else. :doh:

If you can, pull the motor/transmission back out and reinstall it. Pain in the ass, but you'll have a great view of whatever's wrong.

god your a idiot. unless your chassis is tweaked then you should have no problem getting a trans on under the car i would have left the trans on the motor and kept trying or you could drop the subframe stick the motor on that and try putting in in with the subframe attached but thats just an idea.

mendozasport
07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
unless you have 2 left side motor brackets or 2 right side brackets , that would make the motor shift, not sure on sr's but ka's are marked left and right check that first

teh smithers
07-17-2012, 10:58 PM
god your a idiot. unless your chassis is tweaked then you should have no problem getting a trans on under the car i would have left the trans on the motor and kept trying or you could drop the subframe stick the motor on that and try putting in in with the subframe attached but thats just an idea.

You're an*

fliprayzin240sx
07-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Is it possible you got the mounts switched? I'm kinda in the same boat with my KA. I dropped my tranny to change the clutch, loosened the engine mounts so I can angle the engine a bit when I was putting the tranny back in. When I got everything in, the damn tranny was shifted to the driver side like yours. No idea what the fuck happened.

darkroom1428
07-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Is the trans an engine bolted flush. I have tried to bolt up a trans an engine many times forgetting to remove the guides on the left or right of the block.