PDA

View Full Version : SR20 problems

heartofnismo
02-23-2004, 03:04 AM
I know you all love the SR motors...but those who have it and has experienced the beauty of it...what are some common downfalls if any???...(i.e. oil leaks? tranny problems?)...
-Ryan Cabigas

aeontony
02-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Well, for one thing the valvetrain, utilizing oil pressure driven floating rocker arms, is weak. Rev it up a shade past 8000 and all sorts of unholy problems start happening.

I've heard more than the average share of oil pump failures. Overheating due to improperly bled cooling systems seems to be a problem as well.

Lastly, they blow up all the time in this community because, well, people like driving their cars hard.

nightwalker
02-23-2004, 12:49 PM
redtops seem to be sitting around for ever. Bad turbos. rod bearings shot. bad idling. won't ever pass smog in Cali. do some research and see if it is the motor for you.

Turbozx
02-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Stripped threads in the block for the turbo oil feed line sometimes causing leaks or sometimes so bad that you cannot hook up the feed line.

heartofnismo
02-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Ok lets get into the S14 Blacktop...any common problems with these motors???

kazuo
02-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Overheating problems, oil starvation (usu. due to dented pans/bad pumps), and overrevving (but thats why they have a REV LIMITER and RAS :P) are the most common problems I know of.

Aside from that I don't know of any other serious issues with the motors.

Oil Pressure gauge, RAS, new/aftermarket pan and properly bleed your system.. :P

heartofnismo
02-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks...a bunch...what would be the best motor to go with???