PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy blowing smoke up my ass?

icer
02-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Let me start off with some history: I have a 91 240sx SE, auto, 130,000 mls, the motor is shot, burning oil, knocking, etc. I've been looking around for a rebuit motor, checking local engine exchangers, when I came across this little speedshop. The guy their told me for $3500 he'll build me a new engine with 260hp with out a turbo or nitrous. I've been reading this board for a few years and I've never seen a NA ka24de with 260hp. You think this is possible or is this guy bullsh*ttin me?
Thanks
John

sdwyzs14
02-22-2004, 05:53 PM
sounds like hez puffin right up the pooper man. unless hez puttin a sneaky pete nitrous kit on and not tellin yoiu about it. not to mention heed hafta have a method of never filling the bottle

Ryan of Velocity
02-22-2004, 05:55 PM
If he doesn't give you any specifics on "how" he is going to produce 260hp out of your KA then I would be very suspicious.

icer
02-22-2004, 06:06 PM
i just went for the estimate, i would never let him do anything without getting the specifics. i'm just questioning if its possible.

nightwalker
02-22-2004, 06:12 PM
have him break it down for you, and list the modifications.

s0ldats
02-22-2004, 06:33 PM
yeah post a list of everything he'll do. someone should be able to tell you if that's possible/legit.

Ghettokracker71
02-22-2004, 06:38 PM
yeah post a list of everything he'll do. someone should be able to tell you if that's possible/legit.
exactly. .....my geuss is that hes puffing it pretty thick man...

$3500 is how much I payed for my S13 in decemeber,BTW

stillmatic
02-22-2004, 06:41 PM
260hp at the flywheel could be possible but not for $3500. I would take him up on that offer and have him sign a contract that guarantees you 260hp with no force induction. Was the guy even talking about the KA motor?

Redtop_240
02-22-2004, 06:54 PM
For 3500 he could drop a SR in and make well over 260HP........Just a thought.....Make sure thats not what he wants to do......I love the SR but the SR would be a B16 if everyone had one.......It would get borring........GO KA.......HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

He's full of shit if he's talkin about the KA and no juice/boost...........

Ghettokracker71
02-22-2004, 07:00 PM
260hp at the flywheel could be possible but not for $3500. I would take him up on that offer and have him sign a contract that guarantees you 260hp with no force induction. Was the guy even talking about the KA motor?
Yeah....thats a great idea,but make sure he writes out a list,of exacting specs stating every detail of how hes going to do it....if you don't know them or how to read them...post them here,I'm sure somebody like deviosKA(sp) will be able to help out

(devios(sp) thats a complement...not a diss:))

fliprayzin240sx
02-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Unless hes talking bout dropping a small block V8 in there....

brokenben
02-22-2004, 08:12 PM
^ i think that would be the only way.. i dont think its possible to build a na ka to 260 with 3500. ask for a list of mods and also specs on previous cars that hes has done (try not to be the guinea pig)

matlock
02-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Yeh doesn't sound like it is legit, I was trying to get about 210-220 at the flywheel out of my KA and that was tricky and costly. For that kind of Cash I would buy an SR and build it up a little, especially since your KA is shot basically.

icer
02-22-2004, 09:04 PM
I didn't expect this many replies, i know i could get a sr, i don't want one, basicaly I wanted just a stronger than stock rebuild for future plans of a turbo. Thats what i told this guy and he said 260hp easy, thats even after i said i never seen a ka with over 200 hp out a turbo or nitrous.He said its all about the head work. Whats tops hp you've seen on an NA ka?

Ghettokracker71
02-22-2004, 09:09 PM
I didn't expect this many replies, i know i could get a sr, i don't want one, basicaly I wanted just a stronger than stock rebuild for future plans of a turbo. Thats what i told this guy and he said 260hp easy, thats even after i said i never seen a ka with out a turbo or nitrous.He said its all about the head work. Whats tops hp you've seen on an NA ka?
after reading that^ it sounds to me like hes just not familar with the KA24DE....maybe with 4 bangers,but not this specific one!

In the head work? for those numbers whats he going to do ? Full radius valve job,cams,port+polish+port match?

RedlineRacer
02-23-2004, 05:57 AM
Where's Bill Roberts? He still on this board? He knows all about NA KA's. I think he has about a 220hp NA KA. He said its all head work.

Maeda
02-23-2004, 11:52 AM
BEEFY 300 cams, valve springs, all the headwork in the world, and either shave the head or get higher compression pistons (10:5:1 maybe?) and you MIGHT make a little over 200.

I still think it'd just be a better idea to go to the darkside. Building the KA has been less then successful in other places. =\ Talk to the 4ag guys, they're pretty versed in building NA motors, and they'll tell you 260 NA horseys is a pipe dream (formula atlantic anyone?).

If your just going to rebuild for turbo, just go with lower compressoin pistons (about 8:5 or 9:0) with good ring lands, a metal headgasket, and some head work. The book of Corkey doesn't perscribe more then this.

stealthj
02-23-2004, 03:53 PM
swap for a clip so u have most parts for 5spd swap cuz u dont want a 4spd auto

thx247
02-23-2004, 06:03 PM
its possible but you basically have a race motor and all the care and feeding that it requires.

If the guy builds race motors for a living then sure it might be worth taking him up on it. Ask to speak to his previous customers or see some of his work. Just keep in mind that a 260hp KA would be a fully built race motor, there wouldn't be anything streetable about a motor like that.

Redtop_240
02-23-2004, 06:04 PM
I didn't expect this many replies, i know i could get a sr, i don't want one, basicaly I wanted just a stronger than stock rebuild for future plans of a turbo. Thats what i told this guy and he said 260hp easy, thats even after i said i never seen a ka with over 200 hp out a turbo or nitrous.He said its all about the head work. Whats tops hp you've seen on an NA ka?

I didnt say get an SR, If you had paid attention to what I said, I said you (KEY WORD) could drop an Sr in.......And then I went even further to say that I dont want you to get an SR because it "Will become the B16 of Nissan".......I like the fact that you guys are being innovative, I just dont like tunning N/A cars for turbo's.......All this aside......

This guy is full of shit........

Salty_X
02-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Carb'd KA24Es (check out GT3/NASPORT engines) make power somewhere in that area, but don't expect to be able to drive it much, unless you're made of money and can afford to fuel your car up with race gas every time, and you don't mind driving everywhere at full throttle to make that amount of power... that's what race cams and a 13.5:1 compression ratio will do for ya.

If he's not building you one of those then he is DEFINITELY blowing something up your ass.

oojpeeoo
02-23-2004, 07:15 PM
godamn for 3500 get an sr20 or better

mjjstang
02-24-2004, 12:40 PM
"i know i could get a sr, i don't want one", im led to believe that icer doesnt want an sr. but I dont know, maybe im wrong.

HiPSI
02-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Carb'd KA24Es (check out GT3/NASPORT engines) make power somewhere in that area, but don't expect to be able to drive it much, unless you're made of money and can afford to fuel your car up with race gas every time, and you don't mind driving everywhere at full throttle to make that amount of power... that's what race cams and a 13.5:1 compression ratio will do for ya.

If he's not building you one of those then he is DEFINITELY blowing something up your ass.

but you couldn't really do an ITB or carb setup and build the motor and all that for $3500 unless it's a hack job.;) that's a ton of labor and parts to get everything built and working well.

Salty_X
02-24-2004, 03:04 PM
but you couldn't really do an ITB or carb setup and build the motor and all that for $3500 unless it's a hack job.;) that's a ton of labor and parts to get everything built and working well.
Yeah I know, the ones for sale usually go for ~$7,000, and they aren't even complete usually.
It's possible to do a carb setup and some minor mods for $3,500, but for the amount of ish you'd need to make 250+ whp it's going to be at least double that.

Who knows though, maybe this guy is not only a super mechanic, but also sells everything way below actual cost. :rolleyes:

S13CRAVE
02-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Redtop 240
For 3500 he could drop a SR in and make well over 260HP........Just a thought

No offense dude, but you couldn't drop in an SR and make well over 260hp with $3500. The engine alone is $2500 and last time i checked, stock SRs dont make over 200hp stock. So where you gonna make that kind of hp w/ only $1000 left for shipping, cost of install and misc. parts and try to get something performance oriented? Not trying to attack anyone but the SR is like any other motor and wont magically make hp.

Just my $.02

-Ian

Yoshi
02-24-2004, 05:22 PM

No offense dude, but you couldn't drop in an SR and make well over 260hp with $3500. The engine alone is $2500 and last time i checked, stock SRs dont make over 200hp stock. So where you gonna make that kind of hp w/ only $1000 left for shipping, cost of install and misc. parts and try to get something performance oriented? Not trying to attack anyone but the SR is like any other motor and wont magically make hp.

Just my $.02

-Ian

damn, that's pretty much what I was gonna say.
Besides, he said he doesn't want a SR, so there u go.
It's either some magical bulletproof KA from magical engineland or the mechanic has some other engine in mind.

icer
02-24-2004, 06:31 PM
just and update, after talking to the guy some more i found out he doesn't no shit about this or any 4 cyl. His shop specializes in muscle cars. He told me just give him my car for a month and when he's done it will make that much hp. I was polite and told him i'd give him a call to set up an appointment, but i wouldn't give this guy my work van. I've decided just to take the motor out of my other 240, strip it to the block and rebuild it myself. does anyone know a good place to look for ka parts i've only found a few things on very few sites.

Redtop_240
02-24-2004, 06:50 PM

Just my $.02

-Ian

I bought my redtop for 2050 dropped a few dollars on a GTiR T28 FMIC and JWT ECU and and I made over 260........I know have a few more mods...;)
And I make 350 to the wheels........

But what do I know about a good deal?

Check my signature.........

Redtop_240
02-24-2004, 06:55 PM
damn, that's pretty much what I was gonna say.
Besides, he said he doesn't want a SR, so there u go.
It's either some magical bulletproof KA from magical engineland or the mechanic has some other engine in mind.

I didnt say get an SR, If you had paid attention to what I said, I said you (KEY WORD) could drop an Sr in.......And then I went even further to say that I dont want you to get an SR because it "Will become the B16 of Nissan".......I like the fact that you guys are being innovative, I just dont like tunning N/A cars for turbo's.......All this aside......

I think you guys should learn to read all the posts before saying something else......

icer
02-24-2004, 08:16 PM
i don't get why your fighting over how much power you can make with an sr when this post has nothing to do with an sr.

Redtop_240
02-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Oh my god nevermind man.................Dont get pissed cause i put a fuckin opinion out there that you dont like......If you dont like the SR I dont really give a fuck, but when someone else calls me out on building an SR im gonna tell you the facts and you can belive what yu want to.......you expect me to get cornered and told im wrong and not back myself up?

READ THE REST OF MY POSTS JACKASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For 3500 he could drop a SR in and make well over 260HP........Just a thought.....Make sure thats not what he wants to do......I love the SR but the SR would be a B16 if everyone had one.......It would get borring........GO KA.......HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

He's full of shit if he's talkin about the KA and no juice/boost...........

I said it twice asstard..............

Learn to read............... :fawk:

Ghettokracker71
02-24-2004, 08:47 PM
Oh my god nevermind man.................Dont get pissed cause i put a fuckin opinion out there that you dont like......If you dont like the SR I dont really give a fuck, but when someone else calls me out on building an SR im gonna tell you the facts and you can belive what yu want to.......you expect me to get cornered and told im wrong and not back myself up?

READ THE REST OF MY POSTS JACKASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chill dude :goyou:

Redtop_240
02-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Chill dude :goyou:

Yeah im done with it.........

Try not to get fucked............