PDA

View Full Version : s13 clicks when key is turned

slidesquad240
07-12-2012, 09:49 PM
heres the deal my car will randomly decide not to start it willl just click whren turn the key i replaced the ignition switch battery and starter. it doesnt do this everytime i try to start the car only once a day usually around the same time? i know weird. my ignition itself is kind of loose on the coulmn do you tink that could be the issue? anyhelp would be great thanks

JoshJonezzz
07-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Maybe your battery is going bad?

Drifting Kalamari
07-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Have you checked maybe fuel pump?

stilmissmysti
07-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Starter solenoid may be going bad

Kamikazekustoms
07-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Starter solenoid may be going bad

+1 could be this or the relay that controls starter. Last time I bought the relay it was 20.00 from nissan

SCRmotorsports
07-12-2012, 10:43 PM
if he has a new starter he most likely has a new solenoid, i just put a starter in my s13 because of this same problem it slowly got worse and only push started. relay is your best bet. do your lights on your dash dim when you go too crank? if not your battery is fine but double check by testing the voltage. maybe even a bad starter ground or dirty ground cable, ive had problems with my battery ground getting dirty and the car acting dead but turning on still but it wouldent crank over

slidesquad240
07-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Battery is new starter and solenoid is new I put a new ground cable and terminal on the lights do not dim when turning over . Which relay is it exactly I've taken most of them out and shook them they didn't make any noise idk if that's the proper way to check them

AsleepAltima
07-13-2012, 09:37 AM
check the simple things for - connections and all that - just because theyve been replaced, doesnt mean the connection is good. make sure that youre getting 9.75 volts at the battery during cranking. if its any lower than that, the starting circuit is pulling too much load or the battery cant handle the load.

why the hell would he check the fuel pump? lol

Boss240
07-13-2012, 09:44 AM
hey ive been having the same problem i checked my battery, and had autozone test my starter but they were good. so i think it might be a relay.

slidesquad240
07-13-2012, 02:06 PM
yeah its the relay or my ignitoin im hoping relay but just not sure what relay car was auto but 5 speed now

slider2828
07-13-2012, 02:32 PM
o he meant ignition under the distributor?

wangan_cruiser
07-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Ken he said he replaced his ignition switch.

I am having the same problem too on my auto sohc. I replaced alt, battery and starter. Car would start from time to time, i noticed shit happens when on top of the day when the engine so hot. I hear click from the starter but it wont crank it. I had to crank it over and over to catch up lol.

slidesquad240
07-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Ken he said he replaced his ignition switch.

I am having the same problem too on my auto sohc. I replaced alt, battery and starter. Car would start from time to time, i noticed shit happens when on top of the day when the engine so hot. I hear click from the starter but it wont crank it. I had to crank it over and over to catch up lol.

yes thats exactly what mine did it seems to do it when the engine is hot never does it in the morning? ive gone over all connections numerous times they seem to be ok. would the loose ignition on the column have something to do with it? yeah was the fuel pump question a joke???

Walperstyle
07-14-2012, 02:26 AM
just for fun, hook the battery up to a charger and try to start it.

Some of us have purchased bad batteries before.

slidesquad240
07-14-2012, 10:12 AM
i would but the thing is it never does it when im at home its always at a store or something

blessedhellrider
07-14-2012, 10:19 AM
+1 could be this or the relay that controls starter. Last time I bought the relay it was 20.00 from nissan

or go to a junk yard and stick some in yo pocket! :D free!:angel:

ka4life87
07-14-2012, 01:39 PM

Good ol junkyard stealing, I mean shopping! :D So much money one can save

wangan_cruiser
07-14-2012, 08:28 PM
just for fun, hook the battery up to a charger and try to start it.

Some of us have purchased bad batteries before.

i bring my volt meter and jumper cable in my car all the time since this problem started to happen. to make sure i do have enough juice to start my car.

i would but the thing is it never does it when im at home its always at a store or something

its because car is cooler. it happens exactly to me.

$20 is cheap. id rather buy a new unit than spend gas to drive to junkyard plus entrance fee.

lol how cheap can you get?

this thing never been covered so i found a link from nico. i dont know dont hate me for searching over google. this is the first thing came up when i typed "ignition relay 1990 nissan 240sx". ive searched enough here in zilvia but its never been covered

starter problems, for those who search. : 240sx General Discussion (http://forums.nicoclub.com/starter-problems-for-those-who-search-t242714.html)

Walperstyle
07-15-2012, 01:43 AM

Has nothing to do with location. Your problem is an easy fix. The problem is you are looking here for answers. Its your car, and being under the hood produces better results. Just go slow and learn to isolate systems. You'll get her.

But, like I said before, I have purchased a bad battery before.

You should also get the alternator bench tested, and perhaps make sure your ground wires are good.

DreamN
07-15-2012, 01:51 AM
Curious, wouldn't worn teeth on a flywheel cause the same symptoms seeing as the starter gear wouldn't be able to catch properly?

AsleepAltima
07-15-2012, 09:13 AM
no. when the teeth are worn, it makes a god-awful sound as the starter turns.

wangan_cruiser
07-15-2012, 01:18 PM
since im having the same issue. ill throw this out there.

check voltage from the starter solenoid. should have at least 12v from there. otherwise shit wont crank

blessedhellrider
07-15-2012, 01:21 PM

free. other than gas to drive there. way cheaper than $20

slidesquad240
07-15-2012, 06:11 PM
i had the alternator tested before i put it in it checked out ok. grounds seem to bee good also in that thread from nico i dont have that blue relay i guess automatics dont have it and my car is 5 spee swapped??

AdamR
07-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Sounds dumb, but make sure your clutch switch is being pushed in all the way.

wangan_cruiser
07-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Yep automatics have inhibitor relay and switch. 5spds have starter switch and starter relay

Kevin920415
07-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Check your electric first.. see if your lights dim or not...
IF NOT, its your starter..

it happened to me today.. I was stranded and all I heard was click click
and after a starter test at autozone, I came out of the store with a refurbished one.. cost me $200. XO. anyways.. check your starter at autozone its free.

waxball88
07-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Your battery is dead
Your terminals are very corroded.

slidesquad240
07-16-2012, 04:46 PM
no my terminls are clean and battery is good.. pretty sure starter is good its less than a month old,. where exactly is the ihibitor switch?

slidesquad240
07-16-2012, 04:48 PM
oh also when the 5 speed swap was done about 2 years ago the neutral safet switvch wasnt hooked up dnt know if this matters

BONIN240SX
07-16-2012, 05:02 PM
have you checked your relay? shitty relay gets warm from underhood temps and doesnt work properly...pretty common

slidesquad240
07-16-2012, 08:16 PM
im hoping its the relay what is the name of this exact relay?

Kamikazekustoms
07-16-2012, 09:18 PM
that relay is on the passenger side, mounted seperate (I believe) it should follow the power cables from battery to starter. It's been 10 years since I did it and my car is not parked at my house other wise I'd go look. It's blue in color if I remember correctly and I think it's on the fender

slidesquad240
07-17-2012, 09:57 AM
that relay is on the passenger side, mounted seperate (I believe) it should follow the power cables from battery to starter. It's been 10 years since I did it and my car is not parked at my house other wise I'd go look. It's blue in color if I remember correctly and I think it's on the fender
i dont have this relay my car was originaly auto

Kamikazekustoms
07-17-2012, 10:42 AM
missed that part, sorry

wishfulthinkings14
07-17-2012, 11:44 AM
I hadthe same problem with my sr'd hatch. After spending some 250 bucks on a mishimoto starter, assuming it was my issue, only to find it wasn't. I just bought one of the heavy duty push buttons from advance auto, and made my car push button start. Never had an issue after that

Sean P.
07-17-2012, 11:52 AM
I had a similar problem and it turned out I had warped my clutch pedal bracket (was on its way to snapping) and it wasn't engaging the lower button that told the car the clutch was depressed. Might be it on yours as well, was a silly problem haha

wangan_cruiser
07-17-2012, 01:16 PM
I had a similar problem and it turned out I had warped my clutch pedal bracket (was on its way to snapping) and it wasn't engaging the lower button that told the car the clutch was depressed. Might be it on yours as well, was a silly problem haha

his car was originally auto so he doesnt have that.

Redragtop240
07-17-2012, 02:57 PM
I have this same problem but it happens randomly, and if i keep trying it will eventually trun over and start. my battery is good, i have a new starter and starter solenoid, its charging properly. my car is an auto trans. I'm wondering where exactly this relay is?

1ZlowZ
07-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Starter relay.
Check it out. I have wiring diagrams in my car. Ill take a picture and report back.

1ZlowZ
07-17-2012, 06:04 PM
lol woops my bad went to car and totally forgot what I was going to get here you go.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l404/1ZlowZ/relay1.jpg

m9 and m10
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l404/1ZlowZ/relay2.jpg

slidesquad240
07-17-2012, 07:09 PM
cool thanks so these are on the inside of the car right?

wangan_cruiser
07-18-2012, 09:42 AM
I have this same problem but it happens randomly, and if i keep trying it will eventually trun over and start. my battery is good, i have a new starter and starter solenoid, its charging properly. my car is an auto trans. I'm wondering where exactly this relay is?

i think the inhibitor switch is located in the transmission where the shifter lever attached. and the inhibitor relay i think is located next to the fuse box next to the battery

slidesquad240
07-18-2012, 09:45 AM
even on 5 speed its on the tranny? ill check the one iunder the hood today

boostman747
07-18-2012, 09:52 AM
It maybe could be your main relay if it's just a click when you try to start it and it's coming from your engine bay area I would check that out.

wangan_cruiser
07-18-2012, 10:08 AM
even on 5 speed its on the tranny? ill check the one iunder the hood today

if its a original 5 spd then the starter relay like people above said is located on passenger side next to the battery. it has a blue color

wangan_cruiser
07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
have you checked your relay? shitty relay gets warm from underhood temps and doesnt work properly...pretty common

shit happens to me when i drove the car far and then parked it under the sun its hood is hot plus the engine temp combine warms it and shit wont start. i have to pop the hood and let the heat out then sit and wait them bam itll start

It maybe could be your main relay if it's just a click when you try to start it and it's coming from your engine bay area I would check that out.

i hear on that on my car when it acts up. just click click and click

slidesquad240
07-18-2012, 05:33 PM
it was original auto ill check all the relays and get back to you guys

idlafie
07-26-2012, 01:01 AM
You guys ever think of checking/testing your ignition/starter module?? The attached link is for a S14 module, but S13's use the same type...just change the Search parameters to match your vehicle....

Beck Arnley 201-1915 Starter Switch | Auto Parts Warehouse (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Nissan/240SX/Beck_Arnley/Starter_Switch/1995/SE/4_Cyl_2-dot-4L/BEC2011915.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain)

The Ignition/Starter modules have been known to go bad on S13's & S14's.

Just a thought...

ID

Boss240
07-27-2012, 07:04 PM
well i replace the clutch interlock relay aka the blue relay today and the car still clicks when i turn the key, so back to the drawing board for me.

slidesquad240
07-28-2012, 01:40 PM
the main fuse is the 75 amp right? i replaced that not too long ago still dont know what relay is for the ignition?

wangan_cruiser
07-28-2012, 10:15 PM
well i replace the clutch interlock relay aka the blue relay today and the car still clicks when i turn the key, so back to the drawing board for me.

the main fuse is the 75 amp right? i replaced that not too long ago still dont know what relay is for the ignition?

the guy above you too already posted what needs to be checked. should read .

i just ordered mine from ebay for $14 shipped. its not that expensive to replace.

ill replace mine at the end of the week and will keep you guys posted

slidesquad240
07-29-2012, 01:39 PM
i know people have said to check numerous things but im going with the relay it makes sense that when it get hot it will malfunction. just dont see a relay on my car for starter or ignition

wangan_cruiser
07-29-2012, 01:49 PM
i know people have said to check numerous things but im going with the relay it makes sense that when it get hot it will malfunction. just dont see a relay on my car for starter or ignition

yes anything electrical go apeshit when they are running too hot.

the inhibitor switch was located in the auto transmission where the lever sits. but since its always 5 speed swap, that wire has been spliced. you could check how they did the splicing could be just falling off.

im still looking for the inhibitor relay. i kept forgetting checking my fsm.

slidesquad240
07-30-2012, 06:39 PM
i will check wiring also. i feel if it was wiring it wouldnt start at all? i could be wrong tho

st280
07-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Do you have an aftermarket alarm? If so, check the wiring in that. Sometimes they tap into the starter line, yada yada.

slidesquad240
08-03-2012, 04:56 PM
It did I cut most of it out tho but it did the same thing before I cut it out

slidesquad240
08-03-2012, 05:22 PM
The relays in the inside of car all seem good it starts when I took them out so it cant even be that

S-Nation S13
08-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Had the same issue..found out that it was a loose terminal connector .. not to the actual post of the battery but the one that holds Tue acutal wire to the connector..it was loose I saw a spark and was like hm...tighten and see if that works...and wala it worked may it might be that ..

jumboflan
08-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Theres alot of misinformation in this thread. That's why he has not figured it out yet. lol. You kids and youre assumptions. What ever happened to gold old top-down step wise diagnosis? If it was your electrical(battery) and clutch interlock then it would never of started. It's a on/off again problem. It was something wiith ignition and went bad over time. I do't think it's his starter relay. I think it's your power transistor or coil itself. Since it's not starting at all now. I would not flood the cylinders anymore. You might want to air out the combustion chamber by turning it over and letting it evaporate. Compressing liquid gas is no good for piston rings.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/ruca27/electrical240.jpg

hamiltonbmx
08-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Had the same problem in my old 240 the plug on the starter would deside when it was connected or not just zip tied it on tight and worked sorta

slidesquad240
08-04-2012, 08:30 PM
thanks for the input man its not turning over when it doesnt start. im starting to think its the ignition itself considering its loose on the column would that do it?

hamiltonbmx
08-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Well if you its not that plug then I'm not sure. I also had ignitior chip go bad did that too

Javi802
08-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Edit: i didn't see that he said he switched the battery, hehe

BlueMax240
08-05-2012, 01:50 AM
I can assure you it is not any of the relays. If any of the relays were bad you would NOT hear a click sound at all. If you have a new battery and a new starter than it should no longer be either of those. I have had the same problem for a long time now replacing the battery, alternator, starter. The problem is the ignition switch. There is only 1 screw holding that onto the lock cylinder and sometimes when you put your key in and turn it, it causes the plunger in the lock cylinder to push the switch assembly just far enough away where good contact isn't made. Next time it happens, try and pound with your fist the top of the steering column just above the key cylinder. If your car starts after that as mine does then you know the problem area.

slidesquad240
08-05-2012, 10:54 AM
i had replaced the ignition switch with a used one oout of my other car it was good for about a week that was about 2 months ago now. should a new one do the trick?

ixfxi
08-05-2012, 12:01 PM
rewire your starter with a high quality relay harness, bypass oem.

BlueMax240
08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
i had replaced the ignition switch with a used one oout of my other car it was good for about a week that was about 2 months ago now. should a new one do the trick?

I would definitely go that route as using old used electrical parts is always dicey at best. I just wish the Nissan engineers had made a two screw attachment for the switch to the lock cylinder in the S13 like they did for the Maxima. Just a weak design IMHO. I have not replaced mine so far as it is a very infrequent problem and banging on the column so far always cures it for me.

slidesquad240
08-06-2012, 08:31 PM
yeah i found one online for 65$ brand new not bad im gonna ordr one in a few days. ive heard these switches go bad like its there job

AsleepAltima
08-06-2012, 10:31 PM
i didnt read the whole thing but did anyone recommend smacking the starter with a mallet or hammer and then trying to start it?

slidesquad240
08-08-2012, 05:06 PM
starters new

wangan_cruiser
08-09-2012, 09:12 PM
i found my ignition switch was off from its original position. fixed it back and it never miss after that. i will post again after a week and let you guys know.

wangan_cruiser
08-09-2012, 09:13 PM
yeah i found one online for 65$ brand new not bad im gonna ordr one in a few days. ive heard these switches go bad like its there job

bought a new one from ebay for $14 shipped.

slidesquad240
08-10-2012, 10:45 AM
How was it off? I had a few broken wires in the driver side wheel well and it hasn't done it all week?

wangan_cruiser
08-11-2012, 03:10 AM
How was it off? I had a few broken wires in the driver side wheel well and it hasn't done it all week?

the screw was loose, so when you turn your key the switch itself moves, wont make a solid contact

kennedy8383
08-11-2012, 10:30 AM
heres the deal my car will randomly decide not to start it willl just click whren turn the key i replaced the ignition switch battery and starter. it doesnt do this everytime i try to start the car only once a day usually around the same time? i know weird. my ignition itself is kind of loose on the coulmn do you tink that could be the issue? anyhelp would be great thanks

Probably loose connections problem.. I had this same problem and it was wiring and loose problem. IF the battery seen 12 volts than it ok and if you turn the starter and it turn slowly then it probably about to go.