PDA

View Full Version : Just my new 240... has weird noise...

Sleeping240
02-21-2004, 10:34 PM
i know its comming from the rear end.... the guy said he changed the stock rear end with teh j30...... every time i downshift to slow down i hear a clunk... at first i thought it was my spare tire..... but it wasnt....

need help.

twitchy
02-22-2004, 02:48 AM
suspension or subframe maybe?? is it definitely the diff?

adey
02-22-2004, 03:14 AM
Can you give us a little bit more info. on what the sound sounds like and when it happens?

Do you hear it ONLY when you downshift (do you revmatch or double clutch?), or do you also hear it upon deceleration (i.e. off-throttle)? Is it a loud metallic clunk, or more of a plastic/other sound? ... does it seem to come from the interior or does it "resonate" from the frame/chassis?

My first thoughts would be either a lousy J30 VLSD install since he mentioned it... although it could be any number of things from worn subframe bushings to a loose exhaust to dying suspension pieces.

thx247
02-22-2004, 09:51 AM
the diff is probably loose in the back. Make sure that there is ZERO freeplay in the mounting of the J30 diff. The J30 comes with metal bushings supported by some weak rubber. It doesn't take more than a few miles to tear that rubber off of the diff and now the diff bounces up and down on the bolts holding it in. If you search for how to mount the J30 diff you will find more info on this problem.

You need to get some washers and large bolts to hold the diff in place properly.

nightwalker
02-22-2004, 10:04 AM
it's squirrels. They're trying to open their nuts. hehe. Most diff-inately the diff.

cowbomb
02-22-2004, 11:10 PM
could be a bad axles.... maybe , only when u downshift?