PDA

View Full Version : Whiteline, energy suspension, oem tension rod

Mr. Spool
02-21-2004, 09:56 PM
I know this topic has been discussed several times but I cant seem to get a difinitive answer. I need to replace my tension rod bushings, and dont know what to replace them with. I am looking to still have a good ride. I hate bumpsteer. Which one of these offer a less harsh ride. Any info would be apreciated. I am looking to take advantage of the opportunity to upgrade an item but I dont want it to ruin my ride quality.

megaseth
02-22-2004, 09:08 AM
the stiffer the bushing, the more harsh the ride. an OEM bushing will give you, well, a stock ride. a PU bushing will give you a stiffer ride. but PU bushings have almost no flex, and the TC rods do twist and flex a lot. no flex + part that flexes a lot = cracked TC rod or LCA. if you dont mind the deminished ride, adj. TC rods are the way to go. if you just want something nice, go with OEM or Nismo solid rubber bushings.

nightwalker
02-22-2004, 09:48 AM
stop being a pu$$y and get yourself some nice tension rods with spherical bushings. Touge Factory, Project Nissan, SPL parts, Tein, they are all nice and cheap. between 150-200. Bushings and rod.

Mr. Spool
02-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the imput, how harsh is the ride from the energy suspension. Some people have said that it is about the same as stock.

Mr. Spool
02-22-2004, 10:01 AM
I live in mighigan that is why I am not going with the rods, the roads here are to rough. and I hate bump steer

megaseth
02-22-2004, 10:51 AM
prolly not too stiff, but if they end up breaking the TC rods, its going to cost a lot to get new ones and then get the bushings put back in. like nightwalker said, a good pair of Adj, ones are the best way to go. ride is a little more harsh, but they'll last for a long long time. all you'll need to do is clean them about once a year or so. i priced the replacement TC rods with OEM bushigns at $56 each. thats $112 + shipping for the both of them. it would be much most cost effective to get Project Silvia rods

Mr. Spool
02-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Thanks, My rods are good thats why I was just planning on replacing the bushings. I have a set of energy bushings for right around 35 dollars which for me is not to bad, But I did not want to get them if it was going to add bumpsteer. Which I hate.

HyperTek
02-22-2004, 01:12 PM
then just replace the bushings and be on your way. Tension rods may not be for everybody. I have tension rods and love em =). but my ride quality is far from stock... not really a comfort luxury ride anymore.

s0ldats
02-22-2004, 02:23 PM
then just replace the bushings and be on your way. Tension rods may not be for everybody. I have tension rods and love em =). but my ride quality is far from stock... not really a comfort luxury ride anymore.

really? i have tension rods too. doesn't everyone have tension rods? or maybe i'm missing something here. my ride quality is awesome. feels like butta.

Mr. Spool
02-22-2004, 03:24 PM
What do you have for your bushings.

s0ldats
02-22-2004, 05:24 PM
oem soon to be solid adjustable.

jy116
02-24-2004, 01:05 AM
you lucky s14 ppl... Energy Susp doesnt make t/c bushings for s13 apparently. Maybe ill go hardcore and get the adj type or ones with spherical bushings... The only sacrifice is ride quality? The harcore ones are pretty beefy so they wont break like hard bushings in stock rods huh...

megaseth
02-24-2004, 05:24 AM
yeah, the adj. ones will make the ride a little rough, but if you are already running on stiffer springs your prolly wont notice it. they have a better range of motion than the solid mounts, there fore no cracking TC rods or LCAs.

Mr. Spool
02-24-2004, 08:29 AM
My only consern is all the bump steer that would result from them.

sykikchimp
02-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Dude.. Bumpsteer doesn't result from having hard bushings. It results from having soft ones. The softer the bushing, the more play the bushing has, the more it will allow the wheel to get pushed or pulled.

Bumpsteer is a change in toe caused by suspension travel or play in the suspensions bushings..

So you hit a bump, spring compresses to absorb, wheel travels up, and b/c of built in suspension geometry, the wheel toes-in.

Spherical bushings in your t/c rods makes very small change in ride quality. It was almost non-exsistant when I replaced them. What was noticable was the the much more crisp steering feel, and turn in.

Poly bushings for T/C rods are usuable, but imo, not a good choice for all the reasons Megaseth alreaady stated.

OEM, Nismo, pillowball.. each one is a slight increase in NVH over the other, but increase in handling, and feel is more dramatic.

If you hate bumpsteer, get Pillowball T/C Rods, and live with the slight incease in NVH.
If you REALLY REALLY hate bumpsteer, get Polyurethane Control arm bushings too.

citizen
02-24-2004, 10:05 AM
s14 energy suspension bushings fit s13 and z32 too. ride is slighty harsher than stock, and transfers a little more noise, but not anything to worry about. but does provide better feel to steering. for $35 you can't complain.

Mr. Spool
02-24-2004, 10:10 PM
I went with the nismo, what will the ride be like with them.