PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel has rust on it

DRFT
02-20-2004, 06:58 PM
ok so i had my 5 spd swap parts in my garage for while, and ever so often i hose my garage down to clean it. My flywheel was on the ground while i hosed the garage down, and now it has some rust on it. should i use rust remover or sand it down? im think the rust remover stuff should do the trick but what else can i do?

nightwalker
02-20-2004, 07:01 PM
don't worry about it. That will happen. Just have it resurfaced before you put it in and you'll be fine. It's like your brake rotors. You know, when it rains, they get all rusted looking, but when you start driving the rust dissapears.

DRFT
02-20-2004, 07:09 PM
how much will that cost about?

DRFT
02-20-2004, 07:10 PM
and you got any experience with tranny work? :)

nightwalker
02-20-2004, 07:18 PM
about 40 dollars usually (resurfacing)

...you got pizza and beer?

DRFT
02-20-2004, 09:32 PM
i can get pizza but no beer im about to turn 20 in a month though

element240
02-20-2004, 10:41 PM
brake cleaner , or have it resurfaced by a local shop.

Pudula
02-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Resurfacing is a must...i got mine done for 25. Oh, and don't worry about oxidation on the gear portion of the flywheel either...

Ryan

nightwalker
02-21-2004, 12:53 AM
no beer? no tranny help. haha, j/k man. If you want, I'll come over and supervise. Maybe help a little too. Let me know, cause my schedule is erratic.

DRFT
02-21-2004, 01:12 AM
not @ my place haah, my pops dont like the fact that im changing the tranny. how about your place ;) ill even supply the air compressor

Ludeykrus
02-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Yup, just take some light sandpaper to it and clean it good before reinstalling it.

If it hasn't been resurfaced yet, get that done; it's about $30 around here.

DRFT
02-27-2004, 02:15 AM
hmmm...well its not a new flywheel, its been used for about 10l-20 k, so you think i should still resurface it or just clean up the rust?

INeedNewTires
02-27-2004, 02:40 AM
Why does everyone pay so much to get their flywheel resurfaced??? I get mine done at Oreillys for 8 bucks. (actually free for me since i used to work there) but i mean, anyone can go anywhere that has a brake turning machine and just do it themselves. its just like turning a rotor on one side, just dont cut it deep. its simple and cheap, yall are gettin ripped off.

HiPSI
02-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Why does everyone pay so much to get their flywheel resurfaced??? I get mine done at Oreillys for 8 bucks. (actually free for me since i used to work there) but i mean, anyone can go anywhere that has a brake turning machine and just do it themselves. its just like turning a rotor on one side, just dont cut it deep. its simple and cheap, yall are gettin ripped off.

turning a flywheel on a brake machine is not really the way a good machine shop does it. the machine shop i go to blanchard grinds it which gives the clutch a better surface to break in on.

crioten
02-27-2004, 02:37 PM
also you will want to clean out the rust (if there is any) in the little recessed area where the bolts go through to the crank....just take a wire wheel/brush and clean it out...saves you headaches later down the road, trust me :P

-glen

Redtop_240
02-27-2004, 05:25 PM
also you will want to clean out the rust (if there is any) in the little recessed area where the bolts go through to the crank....just take a wire wheel/brush and clean it out...saves you headaches later down the road, trust me :P

-glen

Id rather you elaborate on that than us just trusting you.......