PDA

View Full Version : what are the ka's down fall?

king.0319
06-27-2012, 09:42 PM
I have a s14 and I'm thinking about ka-t so the question is what are the downfalls of the la and pros and cons only looking for 300-350hp plz help

DJ-of-E
06-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Go here KA-T.org - The Home of 1000+ whp/7 sec Turbo KA's (http://www.ka-t.org/)

Join forum there, then ask question. Ask the source where people who've built their KA-Ts.

Honestly, too many damn variables and there are just as many ways to have it run well as well as ways to screw it damn much. Only difference is there's no OEM owners manual nor OEM KA-T parts for building a KA-T.

dawagarage
06-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Go here KA-T.org - The Home of 1000+ whp/7 sec Turbo KA's (http://www.ka-t.org/)

Join forum there, then ask question. Ask the source where people who've built their KA-Ts.

Honestly, too many damn variables and there are just as many ways to have it run well as well as ways to screw it damn much. Only difference is there's no OEM owners manual nor OEM KA-T parts for building a KA-T.
one correction, if i may.
Join forum there, then READ READ READ. the majority if not all your questions will have been answered previously.

jamg
06-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Gas mileage.

godrifttoday
06-27-2012, 10:07 PM
The downside? Head doesn't flow as good as sr... People want like 1k.... Te good side, well to much to list

delado
06-27-2012, 10:09 PM
This thread

s14j
06-27-2012, 10:13 PM
None. :naughty:

240sxfan6882
06-27-2012, 10:23 PM
They get a bad rep because people boost 200k+ beaten and badly maintained motors, and to add to it most do a crappy cheap setup and bad tuning and make it go BOOM.

trickey1991
06-27-2012, 10:26 PM
KA's are paperweights..............

AdamR
06-27-2012, 11:53 PM

I use an RB20 as a paperweight. I have a shit load of papers.

Sileighty_85
06-27-2012, 11:59 PM
They get a bad rep because people boost 200k+ beaten and badly maintained motors, and to add to it most do a crappy cheap setup and bad tuning and make it go BOOM.

Or because they dont have Forged internals and have a Half counter balanced crank

king.0319
06-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Im thinking about the 2.6l stroker kit with a gt3071r Turbo

BoostWanted
06-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Piston Rings.

king.0319
06-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Gt2871r my bad

trickey1991
06-28-2012, 12:29 AM
I use an RB20 as a paperweight. I have a shit load of papers.

I'd rather have a 20 than a KA that's for sure.

king.0319
06-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Bt anyways so from what I'm getting from everyone is the head flow and piston rings?

king.0319
06-28-2012, 12:35 AM
I had a s13 black top s15 Turbo rocker arm stoppers. Valve springs,retainers,tomei mani,headgasket tuned on 7,12,& 14 was quick bt I felt like it really had no power my ka is stock n I love the feel

brizanden
06-28-2012, 12:35 AM
head flow is higher cfm then a sr head. just sayin.

king.0319
06-28-2012, 12:37 AM
I even had a srt4 ran 11.2 at the track I like the 2.4 platform I guess u cn say

king.0319
06-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Cfm?sorry I know its probably something I know

BoostWanted
06-28-2012, 12:43 AM
A way to measure airflow.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
06-28-2012, 12:49 AM
Crank is half counter balanced, Top end is weak, Bottom end is pretty damn weak stock

Matej
06-28-2012, 01:00 AM
KA's are fun stock/NA with just a lightweight flywheel and driveshaft and such silly mods.
The only way to do a KA-T is a complete all-out build.
They are also quite heavy.

s14boy
06-28-2012, 02:36 AM
as stated befor go to ka-t.org and search this topic has been covered many times. the ka is a great motor i stand by it but if your going to turbo it do it right get forged internals some arp hardware and a mild port to the head is very benificial. also a good set of cams to match your turbo and power goals with a gt2871r you shouldnt have a problem with your goal. but search ka-t.org and if you have any further questons you can pm me if you would like.

ka4life87
06-28-2012, 11:12 AM

Remember, no replacement for displacement! :nono:

Zenki_516
06-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Go here KA-T.org - The Home of 1000+ whp/7 sec Turbo KA's (http://www.ka-t.org/).

This is the fastest way to answers. Don't bother looking anywhere else.

Im thinking about the 2.6l stroker kit with a gt3071r Turbo

Go read about this motor, the stroke is already too long. Take some time, and you will understand the platform much better.

king.0319
06-28-2012, 01:46 PM
as stated befor go to ka-t.org and search this topic has been covered many times. the ka is a great motor i stand by it but if your going to turbo it do it right get forged internals some arp hardware and a mild port to the head is very benificial. also a good set of cams to match your turbo and power goals with a gt2871r you shouldnt have a problem with your goal. but search ka-t.org and if you have any further questons you can pm me if you would like.

everyone kees saying go to ka-t.org bt not saying where to look,i looked all over n idnt see where they talk about the ka platforum....am i better off just going sr?
im not a hard driver every so often i go drift,and get on it here n there bt i dnt really take my cars to the red line i baby my cars and when i get on it its from 1-4 gear other then that my cars dnt really go into boost..just a lil about how i drive let me know what u think i love how the ka feels tho

GroundPerformance
06-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Downfall of KA is not the motor but the person converting it to turbo. Lack of research and execution causing a failed build and having a rep.

king.0319
06-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Downfall of KA is not the motor but the person converting it to turbo. Lack of research and execution causing a failed build and having a rep.

first off bro im doing that and asking things i need to know n understand w more detail\
2nd,im just here askin a question looking for an answer so if ur going to input help me out dnt com bashing
kthxbye :newbie:

Edwin562
06-28-2012, 02:02 PM
True fact.....

king.0319
06-28-2012, 02:04 PM
True fact.....

okay so help f**k

Hellother
06-28-2012, 02:14 PM
dude.. plenty of people run ka-t and love it. unless your trying to put insane power to the ground, your prolly just going to buy some injectors, a t28 and a tune. Then your going to baby the car you "built." So go buy a t28 read a couple how to's and have fun boosting it's not rocket science and your not delving into an unknown field. It's been done and it works. problem solved.

240sxfan6882
06-28-2012, 02:57 PM
dude.. plenty of people run ka-t and love it. unless your trying to put insane power to the ground, your prolly just going to buy some injectors, a t28 and a tune. Then your going to baby the car you "built." So go buy a t28 read a couple how to's and have fun boosting it's not rocket science and your not delving into an unknown field. It's been done and it works. problem solved.

I went KA-T and I love it. I didn't know jack about turbo-anything and I read up on Ka-t.org and on here and one thing lead to another until I built a block and got a solid setup going.

Just keep reading up on it and don't cheap out on the basics like a good tune, good pump, good injectors, and a good turbo. I went with a turbonetics t3/t4 and recirculated valve and it drives like stock...smooth as butter and a blast to drive on the freeway.

Do some more research and go from there. You'll learn a ton about it in no time!

GroundPerformance
06-28-2012, 03:06 PM
first off bro im doing that and asking things i need to know n understand w more detail\
2nd,im just here askin a question looking for an answer so if ur going to input help me out dnt com bashing

Qoute is not directed to you at all. You asked a question of downfall and that's personally how I think of it.

DJ-of-E
06-28-2012, 03:41 PM

I think you need to find a local friend or tuner shop that will show you about kat. If you are new to force induction and still havent found your answers at kat, ur not researching carefully and havr very little mechanical experience. If I say install blowoff valve, u prob look up instructions how to install one. This is where no matter how much we feed you, ur ka-t is gonna blow up :-P

I mean i built a ka24der before a kit came out and it merely is know how force induction works and how to prep and build an engine for it. Technically i was looking at a toyota previa fan and see basics how a stock sc works on small engines. Unfortunately i blew it badly because i forgot to fill the meth injection haha

Metalshark
07-05-2012, 11:16 PM
I laugh at the people trying to downtalk it.. most likely just justification for their lack of knowledge to run a KA-T
SR and KA are both built for 2 very different forms of driving.
SR was built for a decent top end, while KA was built with bottom end in mind (generally for towing, hence truck engine)
the KA comes stroked from factory and the half balanced crank has yet to bother anybody running high power set ups, even without the stock crank pulley.

first off the KA is an iron block and retains more heat, thus also has more potential to retain higher power.
Negatives:
Weight,
Iron block + turbo = hot engine temps
(easily solvable though)
electronics are older technology (one example: lack of coil on plug.
but if your modding the engine I fail to see how this is a problem because you can do it yourself)

long story short: if you want to rev high for power go SR
if you want instant torque go KA-T
but if you cheap out on tuning and the thing blows dont be a sour puss and blame the wonderfully Mexican engineering, own up and blame your ebay budget.

KA24 isn't gods gift to humanity but neither is the SR or RB :tinhat:

zerodameaon
07-05-2012, 11:39 PM
long story short: if you want to rev high for power go SR
if you want instant torque go KA-T
but if you cheap out on tuning and the thing blows dont be a sour puss and blame the wonderfully Mexican engineering, own up and blame your ebay budget.

Mexican engineering?

fliprayzin240sx
07-05-2012, 11:47 PM
everyone kees saying go to ka-t.org bt not saying where to look,i looked all over n idnt see where they talk about the ka platforum....am i better off just going sr?
im not a hard driver every so often i go drift,and get on it here n there bt i dnt really take my cars to the red line i baby my cars and when i get on it its from 1-4 gear other then that my cars dnt really go into boost..just a lil about how i drive let me know what u think i love how the ka feels tho

Seriously? The whole forum is particularly about guys going KA-T. You can't expect people to spoon feed you in this world. Shit, not happening in this forum, thats for damn sure. If you're un willing to read and learn in there, you're fucking on your own.

PowerDrifter
07-06-2012, 12:00 AM
I even had a srt4 ran 11.2 at the track I like the 2.4 platform I guess u cn say

i have an srt and 240 as well. all i can say is its gonna cost a lot of money to properly turbo a ka for it not to blow up in your face and the sr would be cheaper in the long run to install and drift. Or you can skip all the bs like me and just go ls1. cost the same as a good dependable ka turbo setup but watch some youtube vids and you will fall in love with torque and hp

doomviillain
07-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Mexican engineering?

KA's are engineered in mexico, blueprinted by nissan.

To the op, if your serious about going KA-T you'd have to do alot of research. Yes, that includes using the search button.

Took me less than a minute to find these links:

Basics going with a turbo build
www.ka-t.org :: View topic - Sticky: DOHC Turbo For Dummies (http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6263)

comparisons
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_0907_nissan_ka24de_motor_build/

Both the SR and KA have pros and cons. Both are good powerplants to me but I'd personally prefer the KA. Research and figure out which one would better suit you. There's alot of things to put into factor before you come up with a solid plan or decision.

zerodameaon
07-06-2012, 12:22 AM
The KA found in the s chassis is of Japanese design and are also manufactured there. The Mexican ones have numerous differences.

Kuma
07-06-2012, 02:11 AM
S02jzVNOJI0

Ka pros? They are beastly

Drifting Kalamari
07-07-2012, 04:11 AM
KA's ROCK if taken care of (like any engine).

Ring lands usually go first at around 350-375'ish whp.

Rods after 400'ish whp.

Basically, start with a good engine with good comp, keep it well lubed, cool, don't go rev-happy, and tune tune tune! Do this and you'll be fine!

AND, sorry but the KA24DE's "made" by Nissan and in 240sx's are manufactured in Japan.

You can buy new KA24DE engines in Mexico now. You could also buy a brand new 2012 '53 VW Beetle in Mexico! Once the manufacturer no longer has a need for it, they sell the blueprints.