PDA

View Full Version : TPS issue

e5s4y
06-26-2012, 05:38 PM
So I'm hoping this is the last issue I have. I can NOT find a signal in the wires in order to get my tps set right. I tried at least a dozen different times and can't get it. I took it to a friend's place and he couldnt find the signal either. Checking resistance across the terminals of the tps checks out fine.

Probing the plug on the front (where it connects to the prongs on the tps) yields all the proper results (5v, ground, and signal. Or whatever it's supposed to be, it was right) but when it's plugged in, it's like the signal is gone.
Tried probing the back of the plug (afterwards read it was bad to do) tried sticking the probes through the plastic on the wires, even stripped some of the wire to have bare copper showing and still nothing. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Only thing I can think to do right now is run new wires from the ecu and see if maybe thats an issue, but i would imagine that if the wires were an issue i would have a funky signal in the wires (which i dont when its not plugged in)

I'm sure this seems like im rambling, but im just trying to do my best to describe the issue. Ask some questions to clarify anything thats confusing.

ultimateirving
06-26-2012, 05:41 PM
With the Ko/Eo, you should be able to get the ~.45 from probing the back of the TPS plug. And If you do not get any signal when the Tps is connected that sounds to be a faulty tps.

e5s4y
06-26-2012, 06:02 PM
With the Ko/Eo, you should be able to get the ~.45 from probing the back of the TPS plug. And If you do not get any signal when the Tps is connected that sounds to be a faulty tps.

Ko/Eo? I fee lik i should know what that is... [key on, engine off, im a dumbass]
And I'v been leaning towards a faulty TPS, but unable to find out how to test if it is bad. I thought that checking resistance across the terminals would tell me, but according to that test it checked out fine.
I guess before i go running new wires, I could find a known good tps and swap it on

Thanks for the reply tho!

ultimateirving
06-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Yup key on engine off,
just to confirm, you do get some voltage from clip side?
and then when u connect tps, the voltage disappears?
Or are you saying that you dont have any signal from the connector whatsoever.

e5s4y
06-26-2012, 07:07 PM
when its unclipped and i probe the connectors of the plug (where the prongs of the tps would connect) it has all the right signals. and when i plug it in, i get nothing.
BUT, if i ground it out to the chassis or the block i get some kind of signal, but its WAYYY off from what its supposed to be.

If theres something specific you would like to me to do, just let me know.
Sometime soon, ill do a specific order of checks and post it up here so its a little more organized. Something like
1.) resistance across the prongs of the tps
2.) voltage of each connector on the plug
3.) voltage with Ko/Eo with it plugged in
4.) voltage when i ground out to chassis/block instead of ground wire

anything else i should do to help?

ultimateirving
06-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Check continuity if you can between the grounds on the plug and chassis/block.
ill add more if i think of it. haha troubleshooting is so fun!

ka4life87
06-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Check all three wires going to main harness with tps disconnected, I cant remember wire colors on top of my head, but one wire is signal feed to ecu, another one is straight ground, last wire should be 5 volts if they all check out make sure u have continuity with corresponding pin on ecu for signal wire, if everything ok then tps is bad

ultimateirving
06-27-2012, 01:59 PM
TPS are cheap, i bought a used one for $40 locally, and its worked wonderfully. My first one went out and it wouldnt run for shit