PDA

View Full Version : Rb25 coils arcing

mantas
06-25-2012, 10:50 PM
I bought a set of used coils because one of mine was arcing, had them in the car for about 3 months with no issues. Went to degrease the engine and i covered the coils in towels bags etc. well they got wet somehow and the car would miss like crazy at full boost. So i cleaned them and everything was fine for about three days. Now almost all of the coils are arcing - i have even swapped some with the some of the old ones i had and it does not fix the issue - it misses like crazy at full boost and its like a light show when you see the engine idle at night. Anyone have any pointers? Are my coils fried or did my wiring get jacked up? Any help would be appreciated.

mantas
06-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Anyone have some ideas?

b00stinbmx
06-26-2012, 07:48 PM
just go with the ls coils setup. those old rb coils are garbage. they cost too much to replace them new. and i mean they are old. they see a lot of heat cycles. can't expect them to last forever.

mantas
06-27-2012, 12:04 AM
just go with the ls coils setup. those old rb coils are garbage. they cost too much to replace them new. and i mean they are old. they see a lot of heat cycles. can't expect them to last forever.

Tried to hunt down all the parts for the ls1 coils but it gets pricey. Ill keep my eyes peeled may be ill find something, if not ill burn the damn car down hahahahha

b00stinbmx
06-27-2012, 09:25 PM
its really not though. i think i found the set of 8 on ebay for like 250 shipped new. you can get wires at napa for like 50 bucks. the connectors go for a few bucks a piece and thats it. sure beats like 500 or whatever for spitfire coils and they work amazing... lets put it this way..

on 14.5 psi on a gt35r on my rb25 i was making 387whp, it was starting to misfire a little up top so i understand that was a issue.. once i put the ls1 coils on and was able to smooth out the tune just a little... with less timing i was making 422whp on the same 14.5 psi

mantas
06-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Wow. That is a huge difference! Im going to hunt down the ls2 coils instead since they have the igniter built in. I already got the plugs, and napa is about 2miles from me so ill pick up the wires once i have the rest. Ive found some wiring guides but nothing explains the exact wiring process. How did you wire yours in? And i guess ill finally have to break out the nistune to reduce the dwell since ive heard that can be an issue with running them on a stock ecu.