PDA

View Full Version : Can a dying clutch be temporarily fixed?

JerkFaceJason
02-17-2004, 10:19 PM
my clutch is starting to wear out, but it will still work for like 20 miles until the clutch heats up too much.

I'm going to austin in a little under 3 weeks to have my buddy swap in an SR for me :) (thus rendering any repairs to the car now useless) but im fucked in the ass on how im supposed to get it there.

Option 1 - pay to have it done and waste all that money since im getting a new engine anyway

Option 2 - get it towed up to austin. (also alot of money)

Option 3 - try to fix it myself (anyone help me out here? ive done sway bars, pulleys, springs/shocks)

also, my tranny leaks a little oil and it probably has drained all out, do you think that if i refilled it the clutch would stay cool enough to work all the way to austin?

any help is apprieciated

knightrider
02-17-2004, 10:33 PM
well the trans oil doesnt cool the clutch, so filling the tranny wont do much for the clutch, i dunno bout sr clutches, but if a sr clutch disk and ka disk are the same, you might buy a new clutch for your sr, and jus use it til the sr gets put in,

SilviaNinja240
02-18-2004, 12:01 AM
How far is Austin from you? And how bad 'exactly' is your clutch?
It doesn't really matter if it heats up too much (if your'e planning on tossing your motor n' tranny after the swap), so might as well push it to the limit. But if you can still drive 20miles in a reasonable time, I wouldn't worry about it.

G240sx
02-18-2004, 01:00 AM
drive it to austin in 20min intervals. When ur clutch is going, just pull over and wait till it cools down.

240trainee
02-18-2004, 06:12 AM
If it is freeway, you can accelerate, then coast, you might get farther that way. and no, and SR clutch will not bolt up. Don't leave the clutch on all the way though, cuz that will make it heat up faster, just coast. Right lane, of course.

aznpoopy
02-18-2004, 06:54 AM
yah man... if its just starting to go you should make it okay. back in my toyota camry days my clutch went out during exam time. no time to swap it so i just drove on it roundtrip from my home to rutgers college. thats an hour each way. needless to say by the end of the week i had to get it towed to the repair shop. but it lasted. just drive it very easy and see if u can get it to catch on local streets. for highway just put as little stress on it as you can.

nismo2491
02-18-2004, 08:38 AM
damn you all suck. I just replaced the clutch in my grey 240 when I built it. but in my red one it started to slip a little in gear and then it lasted a whole nother month and a half before it finally gave up altogethor. then after the one I replaced it with started to slip I drove for almost 7 months on it because I didn't have time or resources to switch it as I was in the middle of building my gray car. it still was able to go a little when I got it back.
KEvin

Var
02-18-2004, 11:49 AM
just hit the freeway and stay at higher rpm with less throttle...why high rpm? iono but my clutch slipped easier at low rpm. maybe cause the engine was building torque or something. when i bought my car the clutch was assssssed out so i drove it with light throttle and shifted at 4k rpm till i got it replaced.

SilviaNinja240
02-18-2004, 12:58 PM
ha ha! I still think I have it the worst, I had to drive around going 15mph at 5-6K rpms. When I took the disk out, the disk all cracked and just about broken in two. :p