PDA

View Full Version : Guages

AadosX
02-17-2004, 07:46 PM
What should I run with my SR, other than just a boost guage and an a/f guage. I'm thinking Oil pressure? I need three more, including the oil pressure one.

stp9154
02-17-2004, 07:51 PM
I would go with an EGT gauge. The third is really up to you. Fuel, water temp, etc.

KOUKI KA-T
02-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Personally I say screw whatever A/F gauge you plan on getting and get a wideband unit, PLX for example, A/F gauge is pointless on a narrow band 02 sensor. Between that and a boost guage and oil pressure i'd say you've got all you need to have a well tuned and safe car.

knightrider
02-17-2004, 10:52 PM
coolant temp, oil presure, oil temp. a/f is worthless unless you get a wideband. boost gauge,fuel presure

suhster85
02-18-2004, 08:57 AM
What other electronics should I get besides a turbo timer? I'm thinking a boost controller but are those really necessary? I plan to get one later but is it necessary to get it when you just swap the SR?

KOUKI KA-T
02-18-2004, 09:07 AM
Not unless you're on a quest to spend an ungodly amount of money on tons of guages and meters. Get a manual boost controller, 70$ instead of 300$. You just won't have all the flashy lights inside and you'll have to adjust boost under the hood. I'd rather save the 200$+.... I still can't stress the wideband enough before you start buying some electronic boost controller and bumping your boost up....

suhster85
02-18-2004, 09:10 AM
I know this is a stupid question but what exactly is the diff. between the manual and electronic boost controller? Pro's/con's and how they are adjusted?

KOUKI KA-T
02-18-2004, 09:23 AM
as far as the basic features go, a manual boost controll has to be adjusted by turning a set screw on it, usually about a pound of boost per turn. electronic allows you to electronically (go fig) dial in the amount of boost you want from safety of your cockpit. plus other features like high and low boost settings, wastgate response settings, peak boost and warning etc.... not a bad investment once you have the more important pieces of tuning covered.... but hell if you've got a lot of money you need to spend go for it.
Did I mention wideband already?.........

suhster85
02-18-2004, 09:25 AM
Yes you did...and I think that I am just going to get the Greddy Profec e-01 and e-manage later...So the boost controller will come later...

stp9154
02-18-2004, 09:33 AM
E-01 is a boost controller among many other features. If you are not gonna use them all (to its max potential), go with MBC like Kouki KA-T said.

suhster85
02-18-2004, 09:35 AM
I want to go with Greddy because I can get it at a substantial discount.

KOUKI KA-T
02-18-2004, 09:39 AM
then profec b, if you must buy an electronic one than that's the way to go, but I still say MBC unless you have the need for high and low boost settings, but if you not ever running more than 12 psi I still wouldn't bother.

Red
02-18-2004, 11:07 AM
I say... Do what ever you want... But only buy something once!

If you want Greddy E-01... Get the Greddy E-01 now... Dont do the Greddy Pro B or whatever it is 1st... save the cash and get the main one 1st

I personaly would spend (and did) the extra cash on the top unit.

I have heard of to many boost spikes, boost creep, and what not... I'm going to try to control everything.

(I'm going to try to push the KA to new hights for fun)