PDA

View Full Version : It is new wheel time!

nurspecsil
02-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey I have decided I am going to go ahead and get a new set of rims for my 95 zenki (5 lug).

Here are the two wheels I am thinking about right now:

1. Gram Lights 57Pro 18x9 +12
18x10 +22

2. Work VS-XX 18x9 +13
18x10 +25

What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

And one other question. My S14 is lowered about 2 inches on Eibach springs and koni yellows. I am hoping to change to a full coil over this summer. Will those offsets and sizes fit under the fenders with out any problems??

Thanks in advance,
Chad

No Motiv
02-16-2004, 07:05 PM
both are Very awesome IMO....and S14..sexy.....go for it....VS-XX...my .05

DuffMan
02-16-2004, 07:10 PM
You'll have to roll your fenders, and may need stretched tires. You'll also need some camber. Can be made to fit though.

nurspecsil
02-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Is rolling the fenders hard?? And I figured I would use a 18/35/225 on the front and 18/35/235 in the rear?? or is that stretched too much?? How much camber can I dial in without after market camber plates??

adey
02-16-2004, 07:35 PM
that's an easy stretch; most shops that sell 18" tires *should* be able to do that, though maybe with a little trouble. If you care for the finish on the wheels, you might consider asking around for quality tire/wheel shops that will mount these without scratching anything visible. :)

With aftermarket camber plates, you can dial in up to -4' in front (on my JICs I think they go up this far... some may only go up to ~-3.5) and in the rear you'll need adjustable upper control arms (somewhat expensive, ~$250 retail I think) and you can dial in almost as much as you want, probably up to -5 degrees if you pushed it and really wanted to. But you won't need that much.

Rolling fenders is quite easy, if you have a fender roller and a hair dryer... which most ppl don't. If you don't mind doing it the ghetto way, take a hairdryer to the fender "lip" and pull out that BFH (BFM) and start hammering away! That's how I did mine, and they actually turned out alright!

edit: I say go for the work VS-XX as well. Gramlights, as nice as they are, just don't look that good IMHO. No... not even the 57F-Pros! If you must have gramlights, just get the monobloc 57F.

rancid240
02-16-2004, 07:48 PM
vs-xx
vs-xx
vs-xx

SilviaDriver
02-16-2004, 08:15 PM
VS-XX those were the wheels i was going to get but i decided not too cuz i was broke. =[

nurspecsil
02-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all the info adey. Can you recomend any good shops to pick up the camber plates and control arms? I might as well do it all at once. Would the wheels fit with just rolled fenders? Or am i pretty much gonna be stuck with having to get new control arms and camber plates? Sorry for all the questions I am just doin some number crunching. Money isnt really an issue I just had some other things I wanted to do aswell.

adey
02-16-2004, 09:03 PM
No problem! That's what these forums are for, right?
Good shop? ... hmmm let me think. What shops have been nice to me recently... ;) (are you shop owners listening?)

I would recommend enjuku since they're one of the few places I've bought from... they have a special going on (or did?) -- check the group buy section and/or send enjuku an email or PM to see if it's still on. This was for JIC magic parts, which seem to be quite good.
I've also heard nothing but good things about SPLparts.com - Kuah, who's on this board, has always been helpful. Some friends (dousan/doriftoslut) have splparts stuff and I've seen them in person -- top notch. I think these are a little cheaper than JIC parts, but probably similar in terms of quality.

Your 2" of lowering has probably given you a little bit of camber already (probably between 1 and 2 deg. of negative camber all 'round, but that's just a wild guess) but you may need more to tuck these babies in. S14s have more clearance than S13s (I have an S13) so they may well fit with just rolled fenders (however I somewehat doubt this), but eventually, you'll find the additional camber adjustment helpful regardless.

Can any S14 owners with similar sized wheels confirm or contradict my assessments?

BTW I'd love to see pics of your car before (now) and after... be sure to post them!

nurspecsil
02-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Thanks again adey. I will definately post the pics for you. Probably wont be until april or so cuz the car is in storage for the winter. But I will get some up. Thanks also for the sites I will check em out for sure.

Chad

adey
02-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Oh another thought... if you're not going to be doing much/any of this until Aprilish, I'm under the impression that there will be a new line of suspension parts called "D'stage" put out by Works Yamaguchi (http://www.worksyamaguchi.com/main/index.htm). These guys apparently know what they're doing, too. :) A lot of dead links because it's a new (prototype) page, but it'll be up in due time.

Glad to be of help!