PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hours of LaMans - Nissan Deltawing

MadScientist
06-16-2012, 01:32 PM
OK so I can't post this in the Nissan News section so here it is....

Currently the 24 Hours of LaMans is on Speed, and today is the first time Nissan is running the all new Deltawing... what is it?
The Nissan DeltaWing took it first laps at Circuit de la Sarthe yesterday during practice sessions for the 80th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans that's fast approaching. The world's oldest endurance race takes place in less than two weeks. While the DeltaWing underwent its first public testing session back in March at Sebring, this is the first time its drivers – Michael Krumm, Satoshi Motoyama and Marino Franchitti – have driven it at Le Mans.

The team was able to complete 54 practice laps, almost all of which were on the same set of tires. A brief instance of weather allowed for a single lap to be run on rain tires. The DeltaWing's quickest practice lap of 3 minutes, 47.980 seconds came at the hands of Motoyama. Based on the results of last year's 24 Hours of Le Mans, that lap time would make the odd-looking DeltaWing competitive with the LMP2 class of cars, and notably quicker than either class of GT cars.

The DeltaWing will compete at Le Mans in the experimental "Garage 56" class meant to showcase innovative technology, and with half the weight, half the horsepower and half the aerodynamic drag of a typical Le Mans Prototype car, should consume tires and fuel at a much lower rate than the rest of the field. Backed by both Nissan and Michelin, the DeltaWing is powered by a 300-horsepower 1.6-liter Nissan DIG-T turbo engine and rides on special tires developed by Michelin that are only four inches wide in the front.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/nissan-deltawing/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/06/deltawing-le-mans-practice.jpg
http://dsc.discovery.com/pdi/files/2012/03/Nissan-Delta-Wing.jpg
http://assets.speedtv.com/images/article_assets/110/1102385/1102385_article_img_xlarge2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dUBwNu_AY8I

ENGINE
Type: 4 cylinder 1.6-litre Nissan DIG-T (Direct Injection Gasoline-Turbo)
Maximum Power Output: 300bhp at 7400 rpm
Maximum Torque Output: 310Nm constant from 4000 to 6750rpm
Throttle Body: Diameter 50mm from Nissan 1.6-litre normally aspirated Juke engine
Throttle Type: Drive-by-wire
Cylinder Bore: Linerless with spray coating, as used in Nissan performance engines and future downsized road car engines
Cylinder Head: High flow tumble port similar to road car DIG-T engines, a Nissan Pure Drive technology
Cam Shaft: Features diamond-like coating and nano finish, both Nissan Pure Drive technology
Water Pump: Electrically powered on DeltaWing, Nissan road cars will adopt electric water pumps to improve fuel efficiency in future
Cylinder Block weight: 15kg
Engine weight: 91kg
Oil sump: Machined from Aluminium billet for light weight and to reduce engine height for installation
Fuel type: Le Mans Shell E10 petro 98RON
Exhaust system: Inconel 4 into 1 exhaust with external wastegate

TRANSMISSION

Gearbox: 5-speed sequential
Clutch: 2 plate carbon. 4.5”
Shift System: Electrically actuated direct barrel rotation paddle shift
Crown wheel and pinion: Planetary final driver potentially featuring efficient torque vectoring differential technology
Drive shafts: Equal length tripod-jointed half shafts

CHASSIS

Chassis type: FIA homologated carbon fibre monocoupe
Front suspension: Double-wishbone, unequal length, with coil over shock units to lower wishbones. 4130 heat-treated thin wall tubular steel welded construction
Rear suspension: Double-wishbone, unequal length, with pushrod/rocker actuation of coil over shock units. Motion ratio discriminiation between heave and roll via fulcrum arm on rear anti roll bar axis
Dampers: Coil over hydraulic dampers
Anti-roll bars: Torsion bar (rear). No front anti-roll bar
Steering: Bevel quadrant steering box without power assist. Rear axle torque vectoring functionality will not be used in race mode
Jacking: Air jack
Fuel tank FIA-specification gasoline fuel cell
Brakes: Vented PFC Carbon/Carbon discs with 4-pot aluminium monoblock calipers
Brake bias: 40% torque bias front
Brake Ventilated uprights/air cooled
Front brake size: 280mm diameter, 18mm thick
Rear brake size: 320mm diameter, 25mm thick
Wheels: Forged magnesium 1 piece
Front wheel size: 15" diameter, 4" wide
Rear wheel size: 15" diameter, 12.5" wide
Front tyres: 10/31/15 Michelin
Rear tyres: 310/620/15 Michelin

WEIGHTS & DIMENSIONS

Weight: 475kg without fuel or driver, 575kg with fuel and driver
Weight distribution (front/rear) 28/72
Overall Length: 4.65m
Front width: 0.76m
Rear width: 2.08m
Height: 1.03m
Wheelbase: 3.05m
Track width (front) 0.6m
Track width (rear) 1.74m
Minimum ground clearance (front/rear) 30mm/60mm
Fuel tank capacity: 40 litres

BODYWORK

Tub and body panels: Carbon composite
Aerodynamics: Twin vortex underbody downforce system – BLAT (Boundary Layer Adhesion Technology)
Centre of pressure: 25% front, 75% rear
Coefficient of drag: 0.35

PERFORMANCE

Top speed: 315kph
0-100km/h: 3.3 sec
Fuel consumption: Estimated 230-250gm/kwh
FEATURES
Engine and transmission are “non-stressed members” in the chassis structural design which allows the installation of a wide variety of lightweight powertrains.

The car features a 4 cylinder 1600cc liquid intercooled turbocharged engine that will produce approximately 300 horsepower at 8,000 rpm and weigh 70kg.

Transmission is a 5 speed plus reverse longitudinal design with electrical sequential paddle shift actuation. The differential features an efficient variable torque steer/differential speed-controlled planetary final drive reduction layout with the entire transmission weighing only 33kg.

Vehicle weight distribution is necessarily more rearward than traditionally seen with 72.5% of the mass between the wide track larger rear tires.

76% of the aerodynamic downforce acts on the rear of the car which has a lift to drag ratio of >5.0.

Rear wheel drive coupled with the rearward weight and aerodynamic distributions greatly enhances inline acceleration capability.

Unique amongst today’s racing cars, more than 50% of the vehicle’s braking force is generated behind the center of gravity giving a dynamically stable response.

Locking propensity of the un-laden front wheel at corner entry is greatly reduced due to virtually no lateral load transfer with the narrow front track/wide rear track layout, steered wheel “scrub drag” moment is virtually zero greatly increasing tire utilization and reducing mid turn understeer.

Advanced computer modeling of structures, impact energy management, aerodynamics, vehicle dynamics and tires has been used to develop the DeltaWing design.

Driver position, restraint layout and energy absorbing structures designed to meet the latest occupant survival criteria.

Hour 2 - 16:27:18 No 0 Deltawing has gearbox problem (Michael KRUMM)
Hour 4 - 18:40:21 No 0 Deltawing has had gearshift problem but ok now (Satoshi MOTOYAMA)

#0 DELTA WING DELTA WING NISSAN (Michael KRUMM)

....and it just got run off the track (by a LMP) and seems to be out of the race at this point... hopefully they get it back on track.

upsdude
06-16-2012, 01:34 PM
omg it's the new 240sx/silvia successor!!! :w00t:

Matej
06-16-2012, 01:45 PM
No cup holder.

drivens13
06-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Forgot about the premier of this car. I just tuned in only to shortly there after see the deltawing get run offcoarse by another driver.
Missed a car flip again. Drivers are lucky to be okay.
Everyone seems to be blaming the new younger drivers.The rule changes have allowed for more than normal.

booey13
06-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Sucks this car couldn't finish. I wanted to see how well it would do compared to the other cars.

MadScientist
06-16-2012, 10:20 PM
After contact with the No.7 Toyota TS 030 Hybrid pitched the No.0 Nissan DeltaWing into the wall at the Karting corner, it was down to Japanese driver Satoshi Motoyama to try and get the car back to the pit lane. In these instances, the team is allowed to talk to the driver and coach him in what needs to be done to the car, but only the driver is allowed to touch his machine.

Motoyama tried everything he could to get the car going again, but with no luck. It was too badly damaged to be able to bring it back to the garage for repairs. He said afterwards: "When we went green I was trying to let the leaders by and not interfere with their race but the Toyota swung across and hit me very hard.

“Once I was on the grass there was nothing I could do. The Nissan DeltaWing was in the wall very hard but I was very determined to try to get the car back to the pits. The crew could give me instructions, but I am the only person who can touch the car. We tried for a long time to find a way to get the car back to the pits, but the damage was just too much.

“I had two great stints and was really enjoying my time in the car. We had a really long safety car period and I was really looking forward to finishing off my last stint. I have had such a great time driving this car and I’ve loved working with Marino, Michael and the entire team. We have really shown what the future of sportscar racing could look like – ultra efficient.

"I really hope I can get the opportunity to drive the car again, because we really do have unfinished business. I am certain the car would have run for a long time if not for the contact.”

MadScientist
06-16-2012, 10:25 PM
You know what pissed me off most about the Nissan Deltawing crash...
It was hit by a fucking Toyota...
and if the Toyota had hit another LMP it would have been a penalty... but because of the Deltawing design it was ruled as a blind spot.

Breitling
06-16-2012, 10:49 PM
looks like a penis

booey13
06-16-2012, 11:20 PM
You know what pissed me off most about the Nissan Deltawing crash...
It was hit by a fucking Toyota...
and if the Toyota had hit another LMP it would have been a penalty... but because of the Deltawing design it was ruled as a blind spot.

Garbage ruling...Nakajima knew he was there. He was in the midst of passing him. It's not like the Deltawing crept up on him and he didn't realize it.

gearhead55
06-16-2012, 11:32 PM
looks like a penis

wow you are a bright one...

Garbage ruling...Nakajima knew he was there. He was in the midst of passing him. It's not like the Deltawing crept up on him and he didn't realize it.

Yea, he knew he was there, but even before the crash they were was talk about how difficult this thing is to see. When you see it next to the LMP cars it really does look tiny. It was an error on Nakajima's part, but i don't think they could have ruled any other way. I mean the car isn't really even racing against anything else. Sucks major though. I would have loved to see this thing do well.

MadScientist
06-16-2012, 11:36 PM
on a positive note... 13 other Nissan Powered cars still on track...

LMP Drivers are complaining about visability issues of the new Mono design... the wheel arches are to big.

However I do agree.. Nakajima had a mental break while chassing 4 other LMPs and his foot got the better of him.
His actions were the exact same as the one just a few laps earlier with the Ferrari. That shit was nuts!!

God can you imagin going flat out down the Mulsanne Straight, in the Deltawing... scary as hell...

scottie
06-17-2012, 12:02 AM
on a positive note... 13 other Nissan Powered cars still on track...

And they are all losing to the only damn Honda in the race. Someone needs to hunker down and put some flying laps in. I'm sure Honda is loving it.

TheRealSy90
06-17-2012, 03:16 AM
I want this engine. What is it exactly?

codyace
06-17-2012, 07:37 AM
While it does seem aggressive and unabashed, I can almost 'understand' the move...I'd bet money on the Toyota driver either carrying too much speed into traffic and ducking out of the way (assuming that the car wasn't there), or simply thought he cleared the D-Wing and was going to go wide in the corner.

Terrible in the way it occurred, but I do not believe for ANY instance that the Toyota driver did that intentionally to say the least. Watch enough wheel to wheel racing and you'll see it happens all the time. I also think in this situation more than anything else, the lack of front tire (slow speed) didn't help the cause at all in regard to holding itself to the outer line/not being careened off course as it was.

future
06-17-2012, 08:02 AM
310tq from 4,000-6750rpm. Thats the coolest shit

MadScientist
06-17-2012, 08:46 AM
I just woke up and realized I missed the end of the race.

If I am reading this correctly... LMP2 Class - Level 5 Motorsports just won with a 1,2 finish!! Hell yeah Nissan Power!!

codyace
06-17-2012, 10:12 AM
I just woke up and realized I missed the end of the race.

If I am reading this correctly... LMP2 Class - Level 5 Motorsports just won with a 1,2 finish!! Hell yeah Nissan Power!!

Bad source for sure, the team that won LMP2 was a Honda, Starworks was the team name.

Nissan Powered LMP2 cars though did round out the rest of the top 10 though, stinks they couldn't run down the Honda. I don't think Level 5 even has a top 25 car...

Odd shake ups in the GT Pro classing...I guess with enough restrictions they are finally able to keep the Corvettes behind the 'fashionable' entrants.

word sux
06-17-2012, 01:02 PM
nakajima picking up right were he left off in formula 1..

this guys seems to do nothing but crash...

UNITEDMASTER
06-17-2012, 04:34 PM
I think the incident with the Delta wing had more to do with the LMP1 car just being aggresive on the restart & prolly didnt even see/know the delta wing was there????? Perhaps!!!

But overall I think the car did/was going well until that.

drift freaq
06-18-2012, 10:10 PM
I want this engine. What is it exactly?

VK45 late model Q45 engine. Company in England did the LeMans prep builds of them. But yeah its the VK45.

If you are talking about the Nissan engine used in the other entries. The Delta wing cars engine was special, You could say it was a Juke engine on steroids and lots of them. LOL

If you want to hear some dope shit Mike over at Tower engineering just finished dynoing a SR20VET at 390 ft lbs of torque. With a Torque band from 3400 rpm to just over 6500 rpm and a 8500 rpm hp pk of 440. on a GT28! at 22lbs!!

whiterps13
08-30-2012, 10:20 AM
I fucking love bots. I wish I could talk like that. People would hate me and it would be perfect.

spooled240
08-30-2012, 10:43 AM
r2d2 postwhore

Hiighboost2
08-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Damn that looked intentional. Wtf that toyota should have been disqualified.
But I dont know the rules for LaMans races lol

Nissan DeltaWing Crash 24 Hours Le Mans 2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJAiZVuC3YI)

Kevin920415
10-17-2012, 01:34 AM
lol still no cup holder..

MadScientist
10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
At it again... this time in Atlanta.

Hopefully they get the car fixed in time!!!
Shit is quick!!!

Nissan DeltaWing crashes in Atlanta - BBC Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/nissan-deltawing-road-atlanta-crash-2012-10-18)

ksingh2463
11-03-2012, 01:50 PM
The delta wing is an amazing concept. Its going to bring a lot of changes to the world of motorsports.

spiderlone
11-03-2012, 05:46 PM
The delta wing is an amazing concept. Its going to bring a lot of changes to the world of motorsports.

No it's not that design will never come into play with other race teams nor will anyone put they're thoughts into that design.

what is that hot wheels toy doing on the track with real race cars anyways

riptor
11-03-2012, 06:57 PM
thats what they said about the 787B and look it not only finished first in class, it took the whole race. big things cam come in small packages yo!

spiderlone
11-04-2012, 01:04 AM
thats what they said about the 787B and look it not only finished first in class, it took the whole race. big things cam come in small packages yo!

way different story there, it was a engine difference not a complete chassis difference.