PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find lightweight pulleys...

Ghettokracker71
02-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Just like it says...I'm looking for lightweight pulleys that are NOT underdrive pulleys that I will still be able to use my harmonic balancer...at least until I get my crank balanced...Does any aftermarket company make lightweight pulleys for the KA24DE? Maybe I could get my stock ones lightened by a machine shop ? Are they any other options ? I hate the fact that my stock pulleys are such damn power robbers.... :(

EDIT:I have a high powered stereo...so underdrives are not even an option for me.

Startours7
02-16-2004, 10:22 AM
How much power? I have

500w amp(sub)
200w amp(rear highs)
200w amp(front highs)
fog lights, and an e-fan

ASP underdrive no problems sence early December.

Ghettokracker71
02-16-2004, 11:47 AM
How much power? I have

500w amp(sub)
200w amp(rear highs)
200w amp(front highs)
fog lights, and an e-fan

ASP underdrive no problems sence early December.
700 peak for sub
160 for other speakers

....believe it or not,it actually sounds balanced...lol !!! Do you have the crank underdrive or the full underdrive set?

EDIT:What about power steering ? Could you tell a difference? A/C(I have a picky girlfreind) ?? ....I was going to have my alt. rebuilt for higher output ,and plus that just gives me more peace of mind...:)

element240
02-16-2004, 11:50 AM
just get a big capacitor... i have a pyle 3.5 farad cap for sale that i never used.
let me know if you're interested.

Startours7
02-16-2004, 02:09 PM
It's a 92. Just the crank. My front main was leaking so I thought to myself "if I have to pull all that bullshit of I might as well gain something from it" I think it was like 119.00 ship from enjuku. Big diff, great power gains on the butt dyno. Pretty easy to do as well.

What kind of amps do you have? Most company's amps won't put out what they say they do.

THX1138
02-16-2004, 05:02 PM
The ASP pulley doesn't underdrive the AC. The reduction on the alternator is listed as 15%, so if you're already taxing the stock alternator with audio gear I'd recommend getting the ASP and rebuilding your alternator to increase its output.

Ghettokracker71
02-16-2004, 05:48 PM
The ASP pulley doesn't underdrive the AC. The reduction on the alternator is listed as 15%, so if you're already taxing the stock alternator with audio gear I'd recommend getting the ASP and rebuilding your alternator to increase its output.
So far I don't think I am.....but still,I just like the concept of higher output alt....lol! My amp is a Bazooka ELA500.1W ...it has been benchtested and performs just as the manufactor claims.

EDIT:I don't want to loose my harmonic balancer....does the ASP pulley set allow me to keep it ? I will have my crank knifedged,and balanced...but not for a while and I am looking for more power bolt-ons...:)

ca18guy
02-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Don't worry about the "harmonic balancer" thats an overblown myth.

Ghettokracker71
02-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Don't worry about the "harmonic balancer" thats an overblown myth.
hmm...I'm still skeptical though :( I can't afford to have a messed up crank....I know its not going to "blow up" or whatever,but still....does it remove it?

nightwalker
02-16-2004, 06:41 PM
KAs don't have one, so your not losing anything

deviousKA
02-16-2004, 07:38 PM
harmonic balancer, crank damper, crank pulley etc... different name for the same thing. The asp pulley replaces the entire unit yes

you will not damage your engine with a lightweight pulley, it will be balanced just as well. Getting the rotating assembly balanced has nothing to do with this

Ghettokracker71
02-16-2004, 08:57 PM
sweet! thanks fellas!!!!!:):) ....what about steering ? Does it affeft how the P/S feels? or anything else ? (I do wayy too much research for my own good....lol!)

THX1138
02-17-2004, 04:49 PM
I haven't noticed any difference in steering, even though it's underdriven somewhat. I guess it **MIGHT** theoretically make it easier to beat the power steering system due to reduced fluid pressure, but I've never heard of anybody encountering that in this application.

Don't worry about over-researching. I do it myself and it's the only way I've managed to avoid doing stupid stuff and breaking things. The way I see it, you can never know too much about something before you buy it. If you go in blind you won't get what you really want and you'll pay too much for it.

That Mango avatar's creeping me out. :tweak:

Ghettokracker71
02-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Where can I get a good set then? http://www.240sxparts.com/pulleys.html

In the pic its got 3 pulleys...but it only says "crank underdrive"....does somebody make a full set not just crank? where to get ?

Sorry about the mango avatar...I am definitely not gay,or bi....it was an inside joke...I changed it !

THX1138
02-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Yeah, that's a moderately fudged-up link ya got yourself there, Mr. Krackerman. First pic is of a set of Greddy pulleys (which I think are for SR), but the description (and pic on the order page) is the ASP.

The only full set of lightweight KA pulleys I know of is made by Unorthodox Racing, but I'm pretty sure it's been discontinued. FWIW, the UR crank pulley alone sells for around $200 and the ASP can be gotten for half that. I got mine from jdsperformance.com (http://www.jdsperformance.com) , I think it was $105ish shipped.

Ghettokracker71
02-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Yeah, that's a moderately fudged-up link ya got yourself there, Mr. Krackerman. First pic is of a set of Greddy pulleys (which I think are for SR), but the description (and pic on the order page) is the ASP.

The only full set of lightweight KA pulleys I know of is made by Unorthodox Racing, but I'm pretty sure it's been discontinued. FWIW, the UR crank pulley alone sells for around $200 and the ASP can be gotten for half that. I got mine from jdsperformance.com (http://www.jdsperformance.com) , I think it was $105ish shipped.
It'd be nice to replace all of them...more power:)....geuss I'll have to start seaching

Ghettokracker71
02-17-2004, 10:12 PM