PDA

View Full Version : Spearco I/C core and custom piping

mjjstang
02-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey Im in the market for an intercooler and Ive been looking at kits but from what I hear Spearco is real good and not bad for the money, Well My question is about the Piping. Would I just have a shop weld me up the hot and cold pipe as just 2 pipes, I know this would eliminate most leaks but would it be impossible to install or remove the piping, I ask this as Im in michigan and the goons (at the shops) in my area have probably seen one SR in the past 20 years. So I know they wont know how to do it. Also another question I have is about the hks ssqv or whatever its called, where can I get the recirculation kit for it, I read about it but cant find it for sale. Thanks.

blu808
02-15-2004, 06:36 PM
I use a spearco core with custom piping. I made the piping myself, in 3 hours. and made my own brackets to support the core. I have found no pressure drop and better performance than the greddy vspl kit.

hope this helps.
Luke

jtt220
02-15-2004, 09:15 PM
I have a spearco with custom piping as well. I made custom brackets and bought some mandrel bends and just welded them up how I wanted them. Looks great, works great, and I feel all warm inside knowing that I did all myself and saved a few hundred dollars. Try to find someone local to do the mandrel bending, it's cheaper than buying them online.

mjjstang
02-15-2004, 10:01 PM
well do you weld it in to a total of two pipes, the cold and the hot, or do you have like a 2 piece cold pipe, for easier removal. I talked to a guy at a local shop and he said oh yah uaually you have two parts to make it easier for removal. this would mean I have more spots that could leak though, what size cores are you guys using, and is it bar and plate or tube and fin, I tried searching but most of the threads were just for sale threads. If im gonna drop all this money for an I/C, I want to get the best for my money, thanks guys.

jtt220
02-16-2004, 12:02 AM
check the current thread for the hybrid ICs. looks like the s13 guys are pretty happy.

meme
02-16-2004, 10:54 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/pae055ba1a6f0179bda17f0a2dfc8b02e/f99c1985.jpg

just use U-bends to make the pipe. usually your hot pipe is 1 peice. turbo to fender. then fender to intercooler. same thing on the other side.

meme
02-16-2004, 10:56 PM
check the current thread for the hybrid ICs. looks like the s13 guys are pretty happy.

i had the hybrid intercooler on my old s13. fit was perfect. and the price is about 230 cheaper then a greddy kit. they also sell a hot pipe kit for it too.