PDA

View Full Version : KA-T stock internals

Tiffanythe240
06-11-2012, 11:50 PM
hey guys, just got ahold of a Ka-t but the thing is it had stock internals. i dont know how many miles have been put on it or how much it has been beaten. im kind of lost with it because it needs to be in the car running in a weekend so do i just run a compression test and if it checks out, swap it in, and dont really beat the piss out of it or what? im just looking to see if anyone has had first hand experience with a stock internaled KAT

dawagarage
06-11-2012, 11:56 PM
speaking with no turbo KAT experience, according to all the posts ive been reading in regards to rebuilding KAs (both NA and T,) stock internals are fine until you really bump up the pressure and are really trying to squeeze more power out of the engine. dont limit your search to zilvia. search google/nico/ka-t.org/etc

Tiffanythe240
06-12-2012, 12:01 AM
speaking with no turbo KAT experience, according to all the posts ive been reading in regards to rebuilding KAs (both NA and T,) stock internals are fine until you really bump up the pressure and are really trying to squeeze more power out of the engine. dont limit your search to zilvia. search google/nico/ka-t.org/etc

i think its on like 6psi, and ive been on nico but nobdy really helps me out there
:down:

Banana_Cute
06-12-2012, 12:03 AM
yes, def do a compression check. With stock internals, KA-T can ruin the piston rings, ring land and other crap within the cylinder walls.

KA-T with a T25/T28 and a good tune running on 10psi.

edguti18
06-12-2012, 12:29 AM
I've have my kat stock internals for about 3 months I have t25 sr injectors n60 maf no tune runs great no problem at all so far..

MuteTurkey
06-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Check out ka-t.org. that's where I learned a lot about ka-ts. Pretty helpful guys too.

vas570sx
06-12-2012, 07:48 AM
i ran my stock internal KA-T for like a year on 9-10 psi with 550cc injectors and z32 MAF. made almost 300hp on the dyno. Sold the motor to another guy and he's been running it for almost a year now.

MuteTurkey
06-12-2012, 07:58 AM
What turbo were you running?

vas570sx
06-12-2012, 08:58 AM
isis 3871r with a bottom mount tubular manifold and enthalpy tuned ecu

souljaseth33
06-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Check out ka-t.org. that's where I learned a lot about ka-ts. Pretty helpful guys too.

I'm with this idea. Endless amount of knowledge for everything you want to know about your KA!

I ran 8psi on my stock internal SOHC. Had 450cc injectors, z32 maf, T3/T4 .50 trim, external gate. Was an animal until the crappy tune washed down cylinder 3.

iveexcaped3
06-12-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm with this idea. Endless amount of knowledge for everything you want to know about your KA!

I ran 8psi on my stock internal SOHC. Had 450cc injectors, z32 maf, T3/T4 .50 trim, external gate. Was an animal until the crappy tune washed down cylinder 3.

you by any chance know the numbers you were putting out?

op just like everyone else ka-t.org its just for ka and they have sections for just about any thing and every thing.... but like any other forum site dont just create a name and ask a question without looking around or searching there

Tiffanythe240
06-12-2012, 09:50 AM
thanks for the input guys.ill jump over to KA-T.org then and take a look around to see what i can dig up. Thanks doods!

anti tyler
06-12-2012, 09:51 AM
like everyone has been saying ka's can last a while on stock internals it really depends on a lot of factors.

there's a guy on ka-t.org (cory) who's been running a ka-t on stock internals for a while. if i remember right one of his tunes he was pushing on or around 400+ hp and it was holding strong. just make sure everything else checks out with the motor and don't disrespect it and it wont disrespect you.

wangan_cruiser
06-12-2012, 10:44 AM
proper tuning is everything.

Tiffanythe240
06-12-2012, 04:29 PM
any idea where i could get a decent basemap or should i just grab a SAFC?

ultramagnus
06-12-2012, 05:03 PM
If you stay w/ stock internals on a boosted KA

1. Do a compression test this will let you know the health of the motor

2. Check/secure lines for vac leaks vac leaks will give you all kinds of funky issues

3. an adjustable FPR and Wide band 02 so you have some kind of air/fuel metering system.

4. make sure you have good cooling system. new T-stat and radiator flush

5. Check the turbo for play and oil leaks bad seals will be the death of your snail.

6. Check the timing guides for any wear and chain for slack

7. If the motor is out and on a stand drop the oil pan and inspect the debris any sign of metal shaving could mean a bearing is about to go.

8. Most importantly a good tune.

Tiffanythe240
06-12-2012, 08:04 PM
If you stay w/ stock internals on a boosted KA

1. Do a compression test this will let you know the health of the motor

2. Check/secure lines for vac leaks vac leaks will give you all kinds of funky issues

3. an adjustable FPR and Wide band 02 so you have some kind of air/fuel metering system.

4. make sure you have good cooling system. new T-stat and radiator flush

5. Check the turbo for play and oil leaks bad seals will be the death of your snail.

6. Check the timing guides for any wear and chain for slack

7. If the motor is out and on a stand drop the oil pan and inspect the debris any sign of metal shaving could mean a bearing is about to go.

8. Most importantly a good tune.

ok what compression should i look for? what is it supposed to be?

i swapped my rad in this car about 3 times in the last 2 months, and i have to put the bunged pan on my motor anyhow

wangan_cruiser
06-12-2012, 08:31 PM
ok what compression should i look for? what is it supposed to be?

i swapped my rad in this car about 3 times in the last 2 months, and i have to put the bunged pan on my motor anyhow

170psi across the board

souljaseth33
06-13-2012, 12:21 PM
you by any chance know the numbers you were putting out?

op just like everyone else ka-t.org its just for ka and they have sections for just about any thing and every thing.... but like any other forum site dont just create a name and ask a question without looking around or searching there

I never made it to a dyno. I was told maybe, MAYBE, 280+-. But I dont really know.

chriskilla2
06-14-2012, 02:59 AM
About tuning.. What is the best bang for your buck tune? Mail in tune? Local Dyno tune? Self tune