PDA

View Full Version : Engine hoist

DSC
02-14-2004, 08:45 PM
http://www.240motorsports.com/zilvia/crane.jpg

I'm thinking about getting this shop crane from harbor freight.
I was wondering anybody has any experience with this design?
The bolt with an arrow pointing to it worries me as it seems it is holding all the weight and the jack is just a balancing point.

kainoa
02-14-2004, 08:47 PM
im just wondering how much does it cost?

brokenben
02-14-2004, 08:49 PM
na.. that wudnt make any sense.. it wud have to be the jack... unless yer paying like 10 dollars for it.

killjoy
02-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Dude, when I needed to get a engine hoist I called summit and jegs and they both wanted 280 shipped for one. I saw one on an ebay store where I could get the same one but with a engine stand and load leveler. It was from Minnesota somewhere. Check it out. It was 280 shipped for everything.

meme
02-14-2004, 09:16 PM
http://www.240motorsports.com/zilvia/crane.jpg

I'm thinking about getting this shop crane from harbor freight.
I was wondering anybody has any experience with this design?
The bolt with an arrow pointing to it worries me as it seems it is holding all the weight and the jack is just a balancing point.

i got mine from costco. i think it was like 170 on sale. it also came with a leveler. if you get the hosit make sure you also buy the leveler. makes getting the engine out so much more easier.

mine is basicly the same as the one in the pic above

WilloW
02-14-2004, 09:21 PM
I've used that hoist (or a very similar design) numerous times, no problems yet.

thx247
02-14-2004, 10:29 PM
I bought mine from Kragens for 160...now they are selling for 150 or so. Picked up local. Its not the best piece of equipment out there, but the cost more than offsets the pita and other costs with renting. Mine has easily already paid for itself.

kandyflip445
02-14-2004, 10:52 PM
For around 200 you can get one that folds up too. I second getting the leveler.

ca18guy
02-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Looks to me like the shock would be holding the weight :confused:

DSC
02-15-2004, 01:18 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=7620
Its $190 w/free shipping.

what does a leveler do exactly...like what does it level?

Your prolly right ca18guy *shrugs*

Jeff240sx
02-15-2004, 01:25 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=7620
Its $190 w/free shipping.

what does a leveler do exactly...like what does it level?

Your prolly right ca18guy *shrugs*

That one bolt only sees load when it does it's job, and is used to pivot the arm. The cylinder jack holds 100% of the load.
-Jeff

matlock
02-15-2004, 01:48 AM
My friend used one similar to that to pull a few engines, and he had no problems with it that I can recall except that he had to replace the hydraulic jack fluid a couple times, but I think all in all it was a good unit.

Rusker
02-15-2004, 11:02 AM
I'm sure you won't have any problems with that jack. The harbor freight here in Olympia, WA. has that same jack for like $150. Might be cheaper to pick it up at the store. I might also buy this jack because I don't really know how much of a hassle/cost it would be to rent one.

nrcooled
02-15-2004, 11:07 AM
The one that is at my house right now (not mine, it's on loan) Is the same styling. It definately does the job, and yes the shock supports the weight of the engine.

Grandpa
02-15-2004, 01:02 PM
I've got that exact hoist, and I love it. I've used it about a dozen times now, and it's even a multi-tasker.

As others suggest, get the lever. I bought one from Advanced Auto parts. it lets you tilt the engine/tranny without having to unbolt anything.

As for a fold-up hoist, they're definitely space savers. However, foldable hoists do not have adjustable legs. This means, when you make the crane longer, the hoist becomes unstable. The adjustable legs make sure the hoist stays balanced. This means you dont need to have the hoist almost touching the bumper or anything else fragile (perfect for longer front-ends like ours).

-john

black s13
02-15-2004, 01:36 PM
yah, defenitly get one with extendable legs/arm. my crushed front licence plate shows exactly what happens when the engine nees to go back another inch, and the hoist wont get any longer. (ie, my plate is bent, and the letters are peeling off)